Thread: mx83 cressida 7mge manual conversion!!

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default mx83 cressida 7mge manual conversion!!

hey toymodders, can anyone shed some really good info about manual conversion on a 7mge cressida ? have you done one ? whats your thoughts on them ? and all the parts you had, really want to make sure i get all the right and best parts for it !!!!
    parts ill be buying so far are,

: W57 box
    : landcruise slave, hard/soft lines
    : 7mge manual bell housing (not sure if i need as i thought 57 bolt straight onto cressida)
    : ma70 manual tailshaft yoke
    : camry clutch pedal
    : exedy clutch etc
    anything ill be missing ?? any troubles with those set ups ??
    cheerss all

Nothing but a filthy Conversion King CELICASUPRA7M's Avatar

Default Re: mx83 cressida 7mge manual conversion!!

u need a M series bellhousing, the w57 will most likely have an R series bell
    1983 Toyota Celica Supra

cheers, anything else you can help with at all ??

Nothing but a filthy Conversion King CELICASUPRA7M's Avatar

nah i'd only be guessing, never had a cressi myself. Maybe find out what shifter position works best with the mx83 as well

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/tec...-cressida.html
    1983 Toyota Celica Supra

Junior Member Too Much Toyota dnegative's Avatar

The clutch pedal is a pain in the arse to get right but its not difficult, when I did mine I used a combination of JZA70/AE92 and just hacked and bent away till it worked.

AE92 clutch master bolts up with the firewall holes perfectly
    Use the back of the AE92 clutch pedal box, it mates to the firewall spot on
    Make a small brace from some scrap steel, its easy, drill two holes and twist it.
    Grab a MA70/JZA70 clutch pedal and use that, you will need to bend it a bit for perfect positioning and use a return spring.
    The AE92 pedal does fit from memory but it kicks to the right a bit too far.

All in all the clutch pedal shit is straight forward, just keep experimenting.

You want the rear shifter position W58, same as the MA70 one. Your going to need a pilot bearing and flywheel bolts, use genuine ones. They are cheap. The auto box is a bit of a bitch to get out, not only is it like 70kg the top bellhousing and starter bolts are hard to get to. Just use lots of extensions and drop the motor and gearbox back. Nothing too hard. Your going to have to connect the MA70 front shaft to your center bearing, you have to undo a nut and punch the old one and out and use the MA70 one in its place. Make sure you put it back together in phase. The wiring is easy, just chop off one of the tranny plugs and join two wires to bypass the neutral start. Reverse lights are another two wires. I recommend removing the exhaust, makes things easier but its a pain to put back in on stands but worth it. So yeah, its a pretty straight forward job. I did it on my front lawn over a couple of days then drove 1000km up the coast.

cheers for that mate, will the w58 be all round better clutch for the conversion ??
    and i use the ma70 clutch pedal on the ae92 box ??

best bet is to find a gx81 at a jap wrecker and bring your cash and bargaining skills

that way you get it all

trouble is finding one....
    New to the forum and not the greatest at the internet but its a top forum for info, if only I had found it earlier some of my cars my have not turned into unfinished, unwanted projects/piles.

As others have said before, to get the correct shifter position; you want a box (or at least the shifter housing etc.) from an SA63 celica or an MA70 Supra. They have very similar shifters (although slightly different) but both still come up nicely through the existing shifter hole in the floor of a cressida. You also want the front tailshaft half from one of these cars also. In my opinion (what I wished I had done when converting my MX73) was to buy a whole SA63 or MA70 donor car. That way you get everything you need gearbox & tailshaft-wise. The things you'll need if you use SA63 gear are: M series flywheel, clutch, bellhousing, etc. I hope that helps...