Thread: Trying to find someone to do custom FWD driveshafts (plus other info)

I definitely ain't a Chief Engine Builder wagonist's Avatar

Default Trying to find someone to do custom FWD driveshafts (plus other info)

As per the above, I'm doing an engine/gearbox conversion.
    The new box lines up in the same place as the original, but the diff is 20mm wider.

As the donor car is a lot wider (happens when you want a capacity increase), I can't use those shafts.
    And my existing shafts are too long.

I've got some options from another manufacturer, but I don't know the exact specs.

So, can someone helps me with:

1. a shop to talk to who might have the fulls specs (lengths, etc) or a good catalogue even or a wide range of shafts
    2. someone who could look at making from scratch a custom shaft

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: Trying to find someone to do custom FWD driveshafts (plus other info)

Driveline Services

Newcastle 02 4949 1500

Don't know what they are like down there, but the boys up here in brissy are always helpfull.
    TA23 Celica Convertable *Needs Paint*
    HZJ80 Landcruiser - For driving over Hondas

busy adding lightness Too Much Toyota MR22ZZ's Avatar

Default Re: Trying to find someone to do custom FWD driveshafts (plus other info)

Steve

Try CV Joint Australia Pty Ltd in Auburn

I spoke to the guy there a couple of times about getting the ones for my MR2 made up but never got round to getting them made.

They do custom sizings, all you need to supply them with is the shaft length and the gearbox and hubs you are using.

He'll usually modify your existing shafts with using all new OEM components so you get a fully reconned unit.

It's worth giving him a call, he knows his stuff.
    Past Toyotas - Snow White (TA23), Blue Stivo (ZZE123)
    Current Toyotas - Hamster (AW11)
    Quote Originally Posted by X kyle X View Post
    the aw11 is rougher and more angular so it's sex Appel is more that of Sylvester stalone rather then brad pitt

sounds good. My problem is finding shafts short enough.
    Using the matching gearbox & front suspension, but the track width is much narrower (1420mm vs 1485mm).

Mitsubishi Mirage/Lancer is an option, but they're 30mm wider @ 1450mm... Depends if the diff is in the same position on the car.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Just take your OEM ones or whatever and tell him to shorten them. If the guy says no, he'll probably have a good reason for it then tell you he's going to make you a new shaft to suit.

I got a guy in WA who does axles for ARC cars and drag cars and whatnot if you wanna give him a go but it'd be easier for you to use an east coast guy.

he'll turn them down for whatever length you need. You should have no dramas.
    the aw11 is rougher and more angular so it's sex Appel is more that of Sylvester stalone rather then brad pitt

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

So what are you putting in what? and what is the spline count both inner and outer?

I know the perfect mob to call yet they are WA based yet did get a little confused over my workmates supercharged AW11 (since sold) when we needed inner C/Vs for it until the man with knowledge of imports phoned. This aside the important info apart from the shaft length is the diameter of the shaft and spline count needed. Given this info any C/V mob worth their salt should be able to sort that out yet on these shores this does remain to be seen.. Another option is to look on the other side of the ditch and contact someone like NZCVs
    His. 2005 GRJ120 Prado VX
    Hers. 1995 KZN130 Surf (soon to be replaced by a Rav4)
    1981 LN40 Hilux Trayback ute. Now an RN40 with Surf interior
    1992 Factory Widebody 2door Surf 1UZ-FE V8 Auto, now for sale

I'm putting a Hyundai Elantra 2.0L engine into an Excel (yes, yes I know not Toyota) No one seems to have done this conversion in this country so there's stuff all info, and the people overseas have done it to the Accent, which is 15mm wider.
    The Accent automatic inner CVs are the same cup as the Excel except are longer into the box, and therefore fit the manual Elantra box.
    So if I want to use those shafts (which look puny compared to the Elantra ones), I need to remove 10mm somehow from the shaft length.
    3mm at either end plus maybe 3mm off the shoulder of the outer CV where it fits into the hub would be good (if possible).

The problem with this is that there needs to be new grooves made into the shaft to accept circlips. And these grooves need to be through the case hardening of the spline (and therefore done carefully).

10mm off one end of the shaft is probably too much and doesn't leave enough spline.
    Beats me why the thickest part of the shaft is where the spline is. The rest of the shaft is wasted down. So the spline can't just be extended either.

I don't really want to use the Excel shafts. The car's now getting a 50% increase in power (for the moment), a Torsen LSD (which I can only get for Elantra box & not the Excel one), and a severe flogging through doing a tarmac motorkhana every month (which is currently coped with via wheelspin, but this will change with the LSD install).
    So I'd like to use Lantra shafts (same inner & outer CVs & shaft thickness as the Elantra, but shorter), or a modified version of, because they're heaps beefier, but still too long (1465mm track width).
    But also just an Excel, so spending $500ea per shaft after $1000 on the LSD, is not really a good use of money.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

OK if the brain serves correct this is like putting a VR4 engine into a Mitsi Libero but without the AWD. Think early Evo lancer and google then contact NZCVs and tell them what you want to do
    His. 2005 GRJ120 Prado VX
    Hers. 1995 KZN130 Surf (soon to be replaced by a Rav4)
    1981 LN40 Hilux Trayback ute. Now an RN40 with Surf interior
    1992 Factory Widebody 2door Surf 1UZ-FE V8 Auto, now for sale

Except those are a wider track (CE Mirage is 1450mm). The inner CV is correct to snap into the diff (the diff is actually to suit the front diff from a US spec AWD Mitsubishi Eclipse, which is a different box to the EVO AWD) & the outer spline fit into the Elantra & Excel hubs.
    The shafts are beefier than the Excel, but not quite as beefy as the Lantra/Elantra. But then, I'm only trying to haul around about 950-1000kg, not 1200+
    J1 Lantra from early 90s (which runs a 4G63) is also only 1446mm front track width. But like the CC Lancer, the engine & box are around the other way.

Smile Re: Trying to find someone to do custom FWD driveshafts (plus other info)

Quote Originally Posted by MR22ZZ View Post
    Steve

Try CV Joint Australia Pty Ltd in Auburn

I spoke to the guy there a couple of times about getting the ones for my MR2 made up but never got round to getting them made.

They do custom sizings, all you need to supply them with is the shaft length and the gearbox and hubs you are using.

He'll usually modify your existing shafts with using all new OEM components so you get a fully reconned unit.

It's worth giving him a call, he knows his stuff.
    Stuff modifying them. He found me a full off the shelf shaft Apparently it's off a Mitsubishi Galant. Good thickness, beefy CVs, the right length.
    Actually, the first shaft he brought out was 20mm too short. I'd like to know what Mistu that was off!!!
    I didn't have a chance to take the longer shaft, so that'll be tomorrow. Hopefully, should get a fitment for that also.

Thoroughly recommend this guy.

told ya he knows his stuff

Looks like longer one is more of a problem. Mitsubishi are too long. He's going to mix n match something, but now twice as expensive...