Thread: RA23 Celica Replacement Seatbelt Tips (probably also RA28 and TA22)

RA23 + 3SGE Beams Backyard Mechanic Major Clod's Avatar

Lightbulb RA23 Celica Replacement Seatbelt Tips (probably also RA28 and TA22)

Hey all,

Just figured I'd post up a couple of tips on installing replacement seatbelts in an RA23.

I haven't seen too much information on this, so it might be good to place compile some information and part numbers.

You'll need the following:

Seatbelts : K1512S (there are many variations of this belt, check for your exact measurements)
    - These are the vertical, on pillar mount belt. Closest replacement for the stock one I could find. Does not have a rubber cover like the original, though you may be able to retrofit.
    - Worth getting the short version of this belt (2.6M). I have the normal ones (3.2m) and they don't retract fully. Will have to replace.
    - You can get different models of this belt with different length stalks. As I have MX-5 seats in my car, I have decided to mount the stalks into the holes on the transmission tunnel rather than on the seat itself. You may require different stalks if you're mounting on your seat.

Droplinks : K7099 or K7099S
    - These are the pieces that hang from the roof, letting the belt suspend around your shoulder height.
    - Two options - 250mm and 150mm - You'll probably want the shorter ones if you have bucket seats with large shoulder wings. 250mm will probably work better with stock (or in my case my MX5 seats).

Installation:

This is pretty straight forward. Follow the instructions provided. Use the new bolts supplied - they're the same thread as stock.

One thing I did find is the drivers side retractor / inertia reel interferes with the head of a bolt nearby. This stops the belt from being mounted flush on the car. Passenger side is fine.

Initially I spaced this out with some steel, maybe 8mm worth - however I wasn't too keen on any potential additional leverage this may cause on the bolt - it is a seat belt after all so I'd rather not risk it.

Klippan offer some extension brackets which you could use to raise the reel up higher - I almost bought these until I found the following.

The seatbelt mounts onto a 3mm removable plate that bolts onto the inner area of the sills. It's these bolt heads that interfere. I removed the bolts and pulled out the plates (giving you a nice big hole to inspect all the rust that's probably living inside your sills!!)

The mounting holes for the belts are offset on these plates. Simply swap the plates to the opposite side of the car, and remount. The plates are the symmetrical, its just the belt mounting threads that are offset.

Once you've done this, you'll then have plenty of clearance between the inertial reel and the bolt, allowing you to mount them nice and flush on both sides.

A picture of these plates below:

Overall it's a very simple job and everything is bolt together. The belts aren't too expensive, so there shouldn't really be any excuse to be using 35yr old belts!
    1976 RA23 Celica - 3SGE Blacktop Beams Powered!
    1994 KZN130 Surf - Daily 3ltr Turbo Diesel Goodness!

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: RA23 Celica Replacement Seatbelt Tips (probably also RA28 and TA22)

How timely is this? (well, for me anyhow)

Nice work.

Forum Sponsor Carport Converter TurboRA28's Avatar

Is it hard to fit the drop links? I sent my driver side away to have professionally done with drop links. Though they put the droplink on backwards which sux. So thinking of doing it myself with those part numbers you suggested.
    Just curious how it threads through the drop link?
    1977 RA28 Celica - 1MZ-FE Members Rides
    1996 FZJ80 Landcruiser.
    Email : [email protected]

I am crap as a Conversion King SilverRA23's Avatar

Awesome thread - I assume since you mention Klippan later in your post that those part numbers are the Klippan part numbers?
    Now - RA23-WRX
    Gone-KE10-KE15-KE35-TA22-AE71-Charade-AE82-MS47-KE15-AE95-MX32
    Need club rego or a CAMS licence in VIC? Join TCCAV www.tccav.org.au

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia stidnam's Avatar

Any pics of the final install?

RA23 + 3SGE Beams Backyard Mechanic Major Clod's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TurboRA28 View Post
    Is it hard to fit the drop links? I sent my driver side away to have professionally done with drop links. Though they put the droplink on backwards which sux. So thinking of doing it myself with those part numbers you suggested.
    Just curious how it threads through the drop link?
    Hey mate,

The gap in the Klippan drop links is wide enough to thread the Klippan buckles through, you just slide them on and twist the buckle sideways a little to thread it through.

Unsure if the stock RA23 buckles will fit through - can't recall if they're wider or not, I should have some hanging about so I can check it out for you if you like.

As for the part numbers - yep they're all Klippan ones.

Unfortunately I don't have any picks of final install - I now have a 6pt cage so my belt arrangement has changed again. Still using Klippan, though I'm now pivoting directly off the cage instead of drop links, and the belt retractor is mounted in the factory belt threads at the bottom of the rear wheel arches (had to swap to 60 degree retractors).
    1976 RA23 Celica - 3SGE Blacktop Beams Powered!
    1994 KZN130 Surf - Daily 3ltr Turbo Diesel Goodness!