Thread: need original track width/wheel specs - KE70 AE71, and XT130. Needed for engineering

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

Default need original track width/wheel specs - KE70 AE71, and XT130. Needed for engineering

Guys,

Im in the process of sorting out my car for engineering, and need to know the factory wheel specifications and track widths so that I can keep close to original track width for engineering.
    Im not interested in learning what CAN fit... i need to know what was factory on KE70 and AE71.

I must find out to ensure that i chose wheels with correct offset to maintain close to factory track widths.

All help would be appreciated.

Witzl.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: original track width/factory wheel specs - KE70 AE71. Needed for engineering

Among my years of nerding out on KE70's is this:

As for wheels, I think stock is 13x5. I remember that because the 15x6.5 I have on the car being illegal being more than 1" wider than stock.

Default Re: original track width/factory wheel specs - KE70 AE71. Needed for engineering

dude... thats some awesome info, thanks!
    Got any info on the AE71 as well?
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

*Generally* speaking, the offset for a x5 wheel for Toyota in the 80's was +32 (+27 for x5.5 and +20 for x6).
    I believe this was also the case for the Celica's.

For the track, the best place to go is the sales brochure. Every one I've read has always listed the track.

When putting down the value for your track, do not measure it.
    Use the difference in wheel offsets to calculate your track (as, if you've lowered the car, you've increased the track - front obviously) unless of course thats actually beneficial to you
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Valkyrie's Avatar

If it's anything like Tasmania, ask your relevant transport authority (the ones doing the approval). I found transport had different figures than the Haynes manual and what I found online. It was a rude shock for the engineer and myself when we received the approval in principle form with track widths narrower than an figures we had gone by...
    [ $[ $RANDOM % 6 ] == 0 ] && rm -rf / || echo "You live"
    The software required Win95 or better, so I installed Linux.
    4AGZE into TA22 http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16775
    1JZ powered RA60 https://www.toymods.org.au/forums/th...light=1jz+ra60

Olde mechanic Carport Converter oldeskewltoy's Avatar

USA specs show "Tread width" for the front and it is either 52.8" - for cars equipped with 185 tires, and 52.2" - for cars equipped with 165 tires. Rear tire widthis either 52.6(165) or 53.1(185)
    Information is POWER... learn the facts!!

hmmm..... seems i might have to find some 14"-15" cheap-ass wheels with a +30ish offset.
    How fucking gay.

maybe some 80's cressida or crown wheels might be suitable..... they need to fit over the hilux/pug/corona brake upgrade, and the volvo rear disc brakes.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Default Re: need original track width/wheel specs - KE70 AE71, and XT130. Needed for engineer

just got off the phone with the engineer now..... seems i might be able to re-jig things a little!

Engineer has advised to find out track width and wheel specs of the XT130 and the Volvo, and we might be able to use these as case for modifying the track width, since i am using the axles from these cars (using XT130 front struts and volvo rear diff).

So - off to the googles for XT130 and Volvo 240, 242, 740, etc track widths!
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

Default Re: need original track width/wheel specs - KE70 AE71, and XT130. Needed for engineer

XT130 - 1350/1365 with 14's?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

i'm looking into the same thing for my ta22. apparently, from what i have been told, u can use the track widths of the new parts as they're doing the work. for example your volvo diff and xt130 struts. dont take this as gospel, but i did hear it from someone currently in the process of engineering their own car with the same mods.
    SHEPPO..

yep - thats similar to what my engineer told me earlier today.
    I need to have another chat with him in more detail.... he was too busy to go into detail today.

After some internets searching, i found this:

Original KE70/AE71:
    front track: 1320mm
    rear track : 1335mm
    wheels: 155SR13 (5" wide), +32 offset.
    *therefore front axle width: 1384mm (the width from mounting face to mounting face)

XT130 Corona (i am using these front struts with the hilux/pug/corona brake upgrade):
    front/rear track: 1365mm,
    wheels: 175SR14 (5.5" wide), +27 offset
    * therefore front axle width: 1419mm (the width from mounting face to mounting face)

Volvo 240 (im using this complete rear axle)
    rear track: 1360mm
    wheels: 185SR14 (+20 offset)
    * therefore axle width: 1400mm (the width from mounting face to mounting face....i've measured this before and got this number)

.... so with the knowledge that the hilux/pug/corona brake upgrade doesnt vary your track, i can assume that the front axle width from wheel mount face to wheel mount face will remain at 1384mm after the HPG brake upgrade. The volvo rear axle width is 1400mm (face to face).

Engineer said you can increase track 1" at front, 2" at rear.

Hence the MAXIMUM wheel offset i can go is:

FRONT:
    1365mm + 25 = 1390mm track
    (1384(axle width)-1390mm(track))/2 = -4mm wheel offset.

REAR:
    1360 + 50 = 1410mm track
    (1400(axle)-1410(track)/2 = -5mm wheel offset.

Hence, in theory, if my specs are correct.... i can go up to a -4 wheel offset.

So looks like i will probably be going MA61 wheels.
    ...... butt scratcher?!