Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1jzgte aftermarket ecu choices?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 1jzgte aftermarket ecu choices?

What would be a favored aftermarket computer to run my 1jzgte
    It's a single turbo I'm looking for around the 300kw area.

What are the plus's and minus's of differents brands?
    Are some better then others?
    rob

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic HIZOKU's Avatar

Default Re: 1jzgte aftermarket ecu choices?

I run a Autronic SM4.

Got cash get the best if not a e manage will be fine for what your chasing.
    [Gentlemen's Club]

What model 1jz are you using if jza70, jzz30 or jzx90 i would find a apexi power fc, abit on the pricey side tho. Plug and play, can run all factory sensors, ignition and toyota iscv. Alot of local tuner's can tune these ecu's so abit cheaper on the tuning side and good for future upgrades ie single turbo, bigger injectors and cams. If you need to pass emission testing just swap back to the stock ecu. Also they still hold their value well so what you play for it now is what you can resell it for.
    Myself personaly have a jzx90 power fc waiting to go when i finally finish my 1jz cressida with gt35r and sard 850cc injectors.
    Last edited by Hiltz; 02-03-2012 at 01:17 AM.
    1991 MX83 Cressida Grande 1jzgte + r154 single turbo in progress
    1985 GX71 Mark 2 Grande 1gge weekend cruiser
    1984 AE71 Corolla CSX 4age anger management
    1999 RZN149 Hilux Dual Cab Daily

Also pro's and con's reguarding different aftermarket ecu's are, plug n play ecu's are more expensive to buy but you don't cut and rewire the factory ecu loom. some aftermarket ecu's can not run toyota iscv (idle speed control valve) and toyota ignition system ie coils and ignitor. alot of aftermarket ecu's you have to cut and rewire some of the factory ecu loom. If money is not a problem go the best ecu and upgrade to a bullit prof ignition system. also some aftermarket piggy back ecu's work quite well ie greddy e manage and the earlier versions and some of them were plug n play still keep the factory ecu in place.
    Last edited by Hiltz; 02-03-2012 at 01:18 AM.
    1991 MX83 Cressida Grande 1jzgte + r154 single turbo in progress
    1985 GX71 Mark 2 Grande 1gge weekend cruiser
    1984 AE71 Corolla CSX 4age anger management
    1999 RZN149 Hilux Dual Cab Daily

Backyard Fabricator Automotive Encyclopaedia

I've used powerfc, adaptronic and vipec ECU's on a few different JZ engines. The powerfc is useless without a Datalogit or FC-Hako etc to get laptop connectivity, it also doesn't have any knock control, direct wideband input for tuning/closed loop control or onboard datalogging. I had an Autronic SM4 in my daily driver which I replaced with a Vipec too.

It's pretty easy to make a plug-in loom for basically any aftermarket ECU, either by purchasing a fields harness to match your loom and then crimping on the terminals to suit your aftermarket ECU or by getting an old ECU header and soldering a short flying loom to it.

If you're not tuning it yourself, find the tuner you want to use first and see what their ECU preference is... then put that brand high on your list.

I use a Vipec V88 on my cressida, it's awesome. Starts like factory, idles like factory, closed loop fuel control via the wideband, gear based boost control with a mac valve, closed loop knock control, excellent datalogging, mixture map for fine tuning the high power section of the map, custom display output using an ECUdatascan/GPS combo etc etc. It's at the higher end of the price range though at around $2.4K. I've also just finished a 2J JZX90 with T51R etc, it was using an adaptronic E420C and 2nzfe coilpacks... batch fire and waste spark. Also worked fine but was more difficult to tune due to the interface and datalogging.

I've run a JZX100 powerfc in my old JZX70G wagon, it was OK but a pain having to use the datalogit box and laptop whenever I wanted to do some real tuning or datalogging. The hand controller is just a gimic IMO. In my old JZX81 with R154 I used a JZX90 powerfc with an adapter loom to suit the JZX81 plugs, it was also OK but same issues with needing the datalogit etc. It's also not as easy to change the ignition setup with the powerfc if you're stuck with old cracked coilpacks.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

one thing everyone is forgetting

is the car auto or manual cause if its auto u need to look at other things aswell
    this will determine if u have to run it piggy pack or not
    but link/vipec is my choice these days

Quote Originally Posted by Hiltz View Post
    What model 1jz are you using if jza70, jzz30 or jzx90 i would find a apexi power fc, abit on the pricey side tho. Plug and play, can run all factory sensors, ignition and toyota iscv. Alot of local tuner's can tune these ecu's so abit cheaper on the tuning side and good for future upgrades ie single turbo, bigger injectors and cams. If you need to pass emission testing just swap back to the stock ecu. Also they still hold their value well so what you play for it now is what you can resell it for.
    Myself personaly have a jzx90 power fc waiting to go when i finally finish my 1jz cressida with gt35r and sard 850cc injectors.
    The engine is out of a jzx90 mark II chaser 1991 model
    But it's now in a Hilux ute
    rob

Quote Originally Posted by dumbass View Post
    one thing everyone is forgetting

is the car auto or manual cause if its auto u need to look at other things aswell
    this will determine if u have to run it piggy pack or not
    but link/vipec is my choice these days
    It's running an r154 manual

Cheers
    rob

Junior Member Grease Monkey

I will submit a vote for a Haltech, ps2000 if you have the money or E11v2 if your looking 2nd hand, Mine makes 400rwhp with gt30/76 and 550cc us spec injectors.

Runs the standard iscv fine, has many other features from basic to extreme, can cut timing based on fuel pressure or engine heat etc. Can have mulitple maps for different fuels. Has launch control and flat shift if you get serious. Also very good support, Haltech are good to deal with if you have issues setting up or down the track. Plug and play harness available or cut and shut your standard one to suit.

I'm sure there are others aswell as above but I am very happy with Haltech. I have run them on many cars, I have no complaints to date.

To many choices though so good luck on your final decision

Cheers
    Aaron.

vipec used to make plug in looms for 2js but some sheit has happened and u cant get em anymore
    not sure if they make plug ins for 1js
    anyway theres afew different plugs and ecus for 1js so it would be hard for aftermarket ecu companies to cater for them all
    and for them to be 100% correct as i have seen and heard of some plug in adapters having afew errors

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

im running a wolf v500 in my 2j cressida. as said above you need to find a tuner that your happy with and see what works for them. no point on having the best of the best if your tuner cant use it. i beleave wolf now have a v550 ecu
    10.0sec Cressida (SOLD) current build- caged ke38, 2jz, Glide, 42gtx, 9"

Gangnam style Automotive Encyclopaedia beatle's Avatar

choose a tuner, let him decide ECU.

jetpilot Automotive Encyclopaedia 1JZ.747's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beatle View Post
    choose a tuner, let him decide ECU.
    spot on, but i would still say stay away from adaptronic. haltech, autronic, vipec, some people are having good success with wolf, i run a microtech and always have without issue.

as far as idling like factory, i have id2000 injectors, big plenum and TB HKS 272 cams and heavily ported head and mine idles like factory aswell, i dont think that a yard stick for and ecu choice but shows tuners capabilities
    8.3 et PB 169 MPH PB

That's the call of the century
    I'll be 6 feet under before I choose micro wreck before autonomic or vipec
    Most ecus are good
    It's the fuking idiots who install them that determines if they have issues or not
    Then u have 10% of tuners are good and know their shit and the rest do half a job
    Then u have the customer who can't afford 500 to 800 bucks for a good tune
    So he gets a 100 dollar tune by the 90% of tuners who try very hard heheheh
    So in it he end which ever brand of ecu he has gets rubbished

Some ecus do have small niggly issues which u learn by being in the industry
    I won't say which ones other tuners and me have had issues with
    But all will do a good job
    How good the car drives or doesn't break down depends on who does the rest

Backyard Fabricator Automotive Encyclopaedia

Quote Originally Posted by dumbass View Post
    That's the call of the century
    x2, gave me a laugh