Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hiace upgrade?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Hiace upgrade?

Hi am just starting an engine swap for my 85 hiace 3sfe in 3y out i know you will all say do a 3sge insted but ultimate power is not the issue here (would be nice though). I have bought a 93 carine 2.0executive for £85 and 3sge engines are selling for £200 upwards and cost is, an issue. I have a 5 sped manual box from alight ace to replace the 4 speed in my van so i'm hoping i have pretty much all i need for the swap. I know the sump is the wrong way round so will need attension (dry sump a possibility, looking into doing it cheeply at the mo). The bell housing on the 3y bolts to the 3s block, i checked out other peoples conversions on this site, but the 5 sped came off a 2ct diesel do not know if this the same?. For the wiring i have a potential issue as the speedo in the carena is electronic and has something to do with the fuel injection, so some way of fitting the sensor to the new box in order. Any help greatfully recieved as this is my first major project. will post pics as i go when i can figure out how to do it. Nos
    Last edited by Nosforatu; 21-05-2006 at 07:24 PM. Reason: attaching pics

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

Default Re: Hiace upgrade?

I have it on good authority that the C series engine is a diesel version of the S series. So a bellhousing designed to fit a 2C-T will fit a 3S-FE.

You should be ok without the speed sensor (though 93 is getting a little late), on earlier ECUs the engine runs fine with it disconnected. And using a manual, not an auto box will eliminate the chance of this causing shifting problems.

Good luck.
    Hen

Smile Re: Hiace upgrade?

popped in to my local motorfactors and had a chat and a look through there clutch book and found some interesting info: the 3sfe clutch outer plate is the same size as the 3y, the friction plate on the 3s is 225mm the 3y is 215mm, the spline on the 3s is 20 on the 3y it's 21, the od on the 3s is27.7 the 3y 28.8, the id is 3s 24.1 3y 25.4. So it looks like i can use the friction plate from the 3y to match the gearbox with the backing plate from the 3s. have to get the engine out (when it stops raining) and measure from the belhousing face to the release bearing on both engines to see wether i need to change it/ make a spacer or a new bearing.

Smile Re: Hiace upgrade?

Managed to get the engine out yesterday,It looks pretty tall obout 31" which is the same hight as the engine cover to the ground in the van. So the dry sump idea better pay off, any one got any ideas? Has anyone modified the injection manifold with any success, there is a guy in sweden who has done it but i don't speek swedish. Any ideas/ help to lower the overall hight of the engine much appriciated.
    The deed is all, The glory nought

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

I speak Danish (very similar to Swedish) so send me a link to the info and I may be able to help translate.

However I think a dry sump wont be worth the money spent. I think they are very expensive. Trimming down the height with a custom cam cover and custom inlet sound like a better idea.

Hen

Hi Hen Thanks for the reply The link is http://213.115.181.72/~toyota/forum/...t=3sfe&start=0.
    i forgot to thank u for the info on the other reply.
    Here are a couple of pics one of the inlet side of the 3s it's long and stands obout 150mm above the head. one of the gearbox i'm using and one of my scabby van.Nos

Junior Member Grease Monkey johnny blade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nosforatu
    Managed to get the engine out yesterday,It looks pretty tall obout 31" which is the same hight as the engine cover to the ground in the van. So the dry sump idea better pay off, any one got any ideas? Has anyone modified the injection manifold with any success, there is a guy in sweden who has done it but i don't speek swedish. Any ideas/ help to lower the overall hight of the engine much appriciated.
    Here I am!

I just cut the manifold and welded it together upsidedown, it works fine.
    I realised that i hade to lower the subframe almoste 1 inch because of the height of the 3S.
    http://www.polkatulk.se/PICT0213.JPG

Thanks for that Johny. I have to modifiy the sump as it seems to be the wrong way round and will foul on the crossmember. Iam hoping to drop the engine hight this way. May have to do the intake manifold as well. here are a couple of pics, arrows point to the front of the engine.

Junior Member Grease Monkey johnny blade's Avatar

Ok, my 3Y-sump was in the front.
    Why don't you just cut the crossmember and rebuilt it to clear the 3S-sump?

I did a little mod to mine.
    http://tcs.teamymse.net/bildgalleri/...%20svetsad.JPG

Pulled the gearbox off yesterday, and have been looking at the clutch/ gearbox splines. The good newsis that the 2c clutch bolts straigth onto the 3s flywheel. The bad news is that the 2c flywheel is 10mm thicker than the 3s, so there is a 10mm difference in length from the frontface of the gearbox to the release bearing.

So a) I find a 10mm thicker release bearing.
    b) use the flywheel from the 2c, bit heavy as its for a diesel
    c) make a spacer, but may run out of sline on the input shaft
    d) find a different bellhousing

There are 2 sensors on the gearbox I think one is for the reversing light and the other is for the speed see pics I Think I have Them labled corectly, Also any ideas how the "speed" sensor comes out? I have unsrewed the screws and the bolt but it does'nt seem to move.

The end of the input shaft is also a different design should be a case of just changing the bearings in the flywheel to suit. hoping to get the gearbox trial mated to the motor today.

As normal any help/addvise much appriciated. Nos

Got the gearbox trial fitted today The top part of the bellhousing bolted straight up. The bottom did'nt . But luckily the 2 support plates from the c engine that i pulled the gearbox off fitted straight onto the engine in the place of the 3s bottom piece (see pics for the two pieces to relace the 3s one piece) The bolt holes are already tapped as well .

Now all i have to do is sort the clutch and starter motor. If i fit the flywheel from the 2c this will sort both probs, But it's heavy could lighten. Anyone Got Any Pics Of A Lightened Flywheel. Also the starter motor 2c, cog that engauges the ring gear is smaller ( less teeth) than the 3s, so it will turn the engine over slower may be a problem?

Just Another Part Time Grease Monkey

If you have the starter and cog from the 3S it is a quick process to slide back the end, remove the circlip and swap it with the 2C starter cog - it should all match up then. If you don't change you will have a problem

Thanks for the tip Brian i'll have a look @ that before wor+
    k tomorow. That will sort one prob the other is the diference in flywheel thickness. If i use the starter fron the 2c which engauges on a flywheel 10mm thicker will it still work on a flywheel which is thinner?
    I will check the ring gear on both flywheels if it's the same and the 2c flywheel fits the 3s then a lightened 2c flywheel with the 2c starter with the 3s end gear could be the way to go.
    I like the idea of using the 2c flywheel so i don't have a problem with the clutch actuation, But time will tell
    Thanks to all for help so far (don't stop as i'm sure i'll need more).
    When the engines finaly in and running...... Superchargers keep running through my mind
    Nos

Here are a couple of pics of the two flywheels the top one is the 3s the bottom is the 2c. After looking at the ring gear they are different the 2c has less teeth than the 3s (hav'nt Counted) This ties up with less teeth on the styarter motor. So if the startermotor To Ring gear ratio is the same or thereabouts turnover speed should not be a problem.

Lightening the flywheel i'm going to take to work today and see if i can take some wieght of off the 2c from the middle boss and the outer lip. To make it something more like the 3s.

The next thing is the statermotor (check pic) has to moumt behind the exhaust but there are two water pipes to reroute not to much of a prob, But how will the sarter cope next to that much heat? could make stainless heatshield if there is space to fit it.

Here is the 2c flywheel lightened as much as i thought safe It wieghed 13.87Kg before lightening and 10.6 after sounds good exept that the 3s only wieghs 7.5Kg also don't know how it's effected the balance have to check it out at work when i have the time, and have a think about the wieght issue any ideas? feel free to shout. Nos