Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hiace upgrade?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: Hiace upgrade?

Thanks for that, The only way i could get the 3s to tilt that way was to find a different bellhousing or fab a gearbox mount which would tip that as well, then reajust the gear linkages. Several other conversions mainly 3sge run upright (so hoping this will be ok) but will take your advise and increase the sump capasity when i mod it. Thinking of putting in swinging baffles in the sump to allow the oil to flow to the pickup and stop it spilling away on hills and corners, (someone else has done something simular, but i can't remember who)
    As for the intirior it was originaly a Dormobile conversion from new but over the years has been butchered buy previous owners so it has been partialy gutted at the minute,like a lot of things it's waiting for me to get round to fixing up, have cooker and fridge waiting to fit along with stereo and amp. I'm looking forward to the day i can just get in and drive it, go surfing and sleep in it with family and/or friends.
    The deed is all, The glory nought

UZA80 Automotive Encyclopaedia horse's Avatar

sounds like a cool car mate, would be the best for a trip out anywhere

swinging sump baffles would do the job greatly, takai on his IPRA race car over here has side baffles. check out the following links

http://toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5074
    http://toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11507

keep up the good work mate

Heres some more stuff i've finished machining the flywheel just got to shrink on the ring gear and fit the dowels.
    started on the sump had to cut the front off to clear the crossmember so i'm building the back up and also moving the oil level sensor not sure if this is going to be enough was goint to do it differently with swinging gate baffles but running out of room unless i go quite a bit deeper before going wider then i will have to completely change the oil pickup and the dipstick which at the min both still fit in there original places. my welding isn't pretty need more skill!
    Any ideas welcome.
    check the pics

Junior Member Grease Monkey johnny blade's Avatar
    1 MS55 - 3 TA47 - 1 MS123 - 1 YR21(SR21) - 1 RX80 - 1 ST165 - 1 JZS160

very tidy i may make a new sump from scratch for mine and try to get more capacity , but this one will do for now.
    Thanks for the input Johnny.
    Cheers Nos

have been loolking at differnt manifolds and what to do with mine. found this http://www.teglerizer.com/fi/GT6_man...l#fullassembly
    and am thinking of using my plenum and fabricating some new tubes to fit from it to the cylinder head.
    the thing that i keep wondering is about the length of the manifold from the little i've read short manifolds seem to be better for peek power ( at higher revs) and longer manifolds are better for more torque.

Does anyone know of some formular for working out the optimum lenght for a given Hp & torque @ given revs?

should i just replicate the original length but try and fit it in the space available, but this could lead to a complicated manifold with to many bends for good flow.

here are some pics of my modified oil pickup pipe and sump which are now fitted. this conversion is taking forever this is the trouble with not having much spare time.

still have:
    fuel tank/pump
    wiring
    injection manifold
    flywheel & clutch
    to do before the vans drivable then i can start on alllllll the other jobs on the van.

Heres the flywheel ready to fit. I wieghed it at work yesterday and it came in at 6.76Kg which is nice as the original wieghed 7.5Kg. i know this isn't a massive saving but this flywheel is twice as thick as the original. check the pics.

I shrank the ring gear on by putting the flywheel in the freezer overnight and then putting the ring gear in the oven at just below 100C for about twenty minutes. The ring just fell straight on then just let it come back up to ambient temp job done.

heres the flywheel fitted showing the hook that i made to hold the flywheel from turnning whilst i torqued it up. also pics of the flex / sandwhich plate what ever you call it i had a choice of 2 but niether wre perfect so i used the closest fit but this had the starter motor on the wrong side so i copied the starter from the other one cut it out off some sheet and welded it in.
    the gearbox is in now and conected up have started on the injection manifold and exhaust had a bad day yesterday nothing went right, the joy of conversions i guess.
    more pics Nos

Just finished the front part of the exhaust. Made it up from bens and straights aquired from a local machanics skip ( the stuff some people throw away ) got the idea from whatching biker build off, lots of trial fitting cutting and tacking before final welding. The joint from two pipes to one was fabbed with two pieces of sheet steel tacked and bent around the tube a bit at a time, the "V" was made on the vice with the jaws set about 30mm apart the working the sheet with the pointy bit of a panel beaters hammer.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Well done on all your hard work , i was going to use a 3sfe in a suzuki 4WD a few years ago ..
    You will get a bit of crap from people on here using a camry motor , but a 3sfe does have good low down torque for a van application , a 3sge wouldnt be good down low. i noticed the motor you have is map sensored , Aus 3sfe,s are all air flow metered i think
    Dave

Glad you like it. It seems to be taking forever to get done, As for the map sensor/air meter i think it goes on year of manufacture as the map sensor has a cat fitted and the air flow one's don't, but i could be wrong.

Cheers for the encoregment Nos.

Junior Member Grease Monkey johnny blade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nosforatu
    Just finished the front part of the exhaust. Made it up from bens and straights aquired from a local machanics skip ( the stuff some people throw away ) got the idea from whatching biker build off, lots of trial fitting cutting and tacking before final welding. The joint from two pipes to one was fabbed with two pieces of sheet steel tacked and bent around the tube a bit at a time, the "V" was made on the vice with the jaws set about 30mm apart the working the sheet with the pointy bit of a panel beaters hammer.
    Looks fine, but don't you need any OX-sensor?
    Here's mine (It's completed a long time ago).
    http://www.polkatulk.se/ModF/PICT0169.JPG
    http://www.polkatulk.se/ModF/PICT0166.JPG
    1 MS55 - 3 TA47 - 1 MS123 - 1 YR21(SR21) - 1 RX80 - 1 ST165 - 1 JZS160

yes i need a ox sensor haven't gotten round to fitting it yet was going to fit it were the two pipes come together, but wasn't sure, may fit it into the straight after the join.

Hi all back after a long time actualy getting round to doing some more work on the van before the rust eats it all away.lol

Managed to get some time on the cnc lathe that i work and have started to make up the injection manifold,seems like this year has just flown bybut here are a couple of pics.

The large flange will go up against the head with the tube going between that and the smaller flange which will bolt to the plenhum? (dodgy spelling) chamber not sure wether to fab this or to get one cast? have been looking for a suitable box on and off but haven't found anything. the small flange will bolt through and into the stub stack which will sit in the plenum chamber.

The flanges still need to be drilled and cut/milled to fit, squared off where they need it.

this set up will give me the clearance i need but is quite a bit shorter than the original, long runners better for torque so i understand. hopeing that making the plenum with bigger volume than the original will act as a still air chamber giving better throttle response and may be boost the torque back up a bit?
    I have read somewhere that it is the overal length of inlet that affects torque and not just the runners could anyone clarify this.