Thread: Help! MR2 Gearbox Shift Selector Removal

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic buck naked's Avatar

Question Help! MR2 Gearbox Shift Selector Removal

I've gotten stuck attempting to remove the shift linkage from an MR2 S54. I've taken off the north-end cover and the lock ball (as seen in this first picture).

The second picture shows the shift linkage moving quite freely inside its housing and I'm quite positive that the linkage should be removed from this north end.

The third and fourth pictures show whats happening at the south end; the shift fork (obviously) won't fit through the shaft. In the fourth picture there is a bolt pictured on the under side of the shift fork. My guess is that this is a pin that is holding the end of the fork on. Undoing the bolt hasn't gotten me any closer to removing it and I'm contemplating needing to hammer the pin through (if it is a pin; not threaded through).

In this fifth picture is my Celica S53 gearbox shift linkage that was a peice of cake to remove.

Any advice for how to tackle removing this fork?

potato Automotive Encyclopaedia joecoolmk2's Avatar

Default Re: Help! MR2 Gearbox Shift Selector Removal

can you get a pic of the other side of that bolt on the fork? on the other celica setup, it looks like it clamps the fork onto the shaft instead of going through it. i'd say there's a notch in the shaft so that the fork can't fall off. if i'm correct so far, you need to take the bolt out(screw the nut just onto the end two turns, so you don't stuff the bolt thread) and give it a light tap. it should loosen and pull out, if it doesn't move, then discontinue with the hammering
    beer me!

broken down ex guru Chief Engine Builder feral4mr2's Avatar

wouldnt you just remove that circlip and the shaft will slide out?

or you need the whole guts to come out from the linksage end? by undoing this nut maybe and gettly tapping the linkage arm off the shaft?
    Last edited by feral4mr2; 21-05-2006 at 06:55 PM.

potato Automotive Encyclopaedia joecoolmk2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feral4mr2
    wouldnt you just remove that circlip and the shaft will slide out?
    that's what i originally thought, but the other celica one looks like it would have a lot of other ones that need unclipping to get the shaft out. that might be wrong, so maybe you should try that circlip first? if that doesn't work, then take the fork off.
    beer me!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic buck naked's Avatar

Thanks for your help guys, unfortunately neither solution worked.

I tried to remove this circlip, but that only let me pull off a few components of the shift selector, the shaft couldn't slide out past the point marked 'undo' below:

That bolt marked 'undo' wasn't the answer, the pin that it sits on is. I tried tapping the pin out with a hammer and punch, I tried screwing the bolt in tighter to pull through the thread, I tried drilling the pin out - but none of that let me pull the selector of the shaft. A quick visit to my local Kennards had me on my way with a 5" angle grinder which took care of the problem in approximately 5 minutes. I cut it off just infront of the rubber sleeve shown in the picture above.

I'll have a full guide for modifying the gearbox coming soon whre I'll show pictures of my process.

Again, thanks for the help! If anyone knows how to remove that pin without the use of power tools, I'd be very interested to know!

broken down ex guru Chief Engine Builder feral4mr2's Avatar

hehe.. angle grinders and BIG hammers are a car modifyers best friends.