Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: FAQ - National Code of Practice - NCOP Thread

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Toy77's Avatar

Default Re: FAQ - National Code of Practice - NCOP Thread

Im not arguing that it is right or wrong.

Just stating the facts of the situation i had with the engineer we used here in NSW.
    There are quite alot leaving the system at the moment with the new signatory rules due any time now - and the guy i used is widely reguarded as a decent and fair person to deal with. As well as being one of the few people fighting to keep hotrods allowed in normal registration.

I agree with the logic of the blanket approval idea....
    BUT we all know plenty of dodgy SEVS cars - and they do require modifications depending on what model and where they are from - whether this is done or not is a much different story.
    The engineers line is more the case of you prove to me why it complies with a decent amount of proof. simply saying his is regoed so mine should be isnt enough.... not if you want them to put their signature on it. If your engineer is prepared to sign off differently - that is ok, but there are plenty of people having problems now with certificates that were previously issued and are dodgy or not defensible. You can still be defected with engineering - and YOU have to prove the car still complies to the ADRs - a well written and justifyable engineering cert helps this, but isnt a given.
    Aerodynamics are for people who can’t build engines. – Enzo Ferrari

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Toy77 View Post
    The engineers line is more the case of you prove to me why it complies with a decent amount of proof. simply saying his is regoed so mine should be isnt enough.... not if you want them to put their signature on it.
    But its not something the engineer should be getting involved in, he should be sending you straight to the RTA.
    The RTA should be able to give a ruling in regards to it.
    You should be able to get a letter from the RTA stating that "Engines XYZ which were complied in Cars XYZ are compliant with ADR's XYZ once the following modifications/improvements have been performed..."

Then the engineer can use that letter to verify you have the engine you claim you have, and that you have made the required mods to comply with the ADR's, and sign you off without requiring a test.

At least, those are my thoughts.
    But if you've passed the IM240 without much headache and cost, then maybe that was just as easy (or even easier).

In WA though its basically, stock engine with stock ecu = no emissions test.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Has anyone had a read through the "Eastern Creek Questions and Answers" document that is available on the RTA website? (link below)

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...n-creek-qa.pdf

There is a lot of good information there and it answers a lot of common questions. Also the interesting part to me is that it would seem that VSB 14 is the version 2 of the NCOP as far as I can tell. So unless I'm mistaken this means that NCOP is now in force? The answer to Q17 would seem to confirm this. Also there was another mention (Q19) in there that the VSI's would be aligned with the recent changes....

Interested to hear anyone else opinion on this.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

looks like it.. subject to further "working out what the heck is going on" by RTA/RMS

fwiw, i think this is the gazette thing they are talking about, for mods that MUST be certified
    http://www.confederationofmotorclubs...f/gazettal.pdf
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

You know I want to do the right thing and read the NCOP, but I think if i actually tried I could add another year or 3 on to my next build
    It just bolts on!
    Nothing "Bolts On".

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

this is why we pay monstrous amounts of money to the gingerbeers.

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Its actually not that hard to modify a car whilst following the NCOP's.

I've just done it, finished engineering, and now have approval to have the car inspected for rego.
    So assuming it passes inspection (which is just your standard unlicenced car inspection), the car will be licenced.

And for those that know the car, know that it is fairly heavily modified...
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

A bit of an update for those in QLD.

QLD adopted the NCOP on 1/11/12 with some changes.

New capacity restrictions are:

Old code of practice:

For those of us with under 1100kg cars such as early celicas we now have the option of 20b rotary, 1uzfe etc.
    Possibly, if your engineer allows, 2jzgte with a minor offset grind destroke? (reduce stroke from 86-84.18)

Junior Member Grease Monkey

I have the original QLD code of practice, and some of the wording has changed for the better for NCOP.
    Originally, QLD stated that any conversion beyond the limits of the power to weight calculation (eg 2.5xWeight in CC for turbo under 1100kg) could not be registered.

Now NCOP states that the power to weight calculations are RECOMMENDED MAXIMUMS. So, technically you could exceed them, as they are only recommendations not strictly defined limits. It also does not state anywhere that you cannot register a car that exceeds these limits.

How else can Holden release the supercharged GTS?? It exceeds the recommended power to weight limits?

-Sam

she loves me coz im a Conversion King love ke70's Avatar

because the NCOP is for modifications, not for production cars...
    MY RIDE, 2 Door LHD KE70 sedan with 1G HKS stroker: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=51760

Punctuation is the difference between 'I helped my Uncle Jack off his horse' and 'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'

You could still exceed the power to weight table for modifications and easily win in court.

What about ICVs?

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

I'd like to highlight that it would be a brave engineer who signs off on modifications that exceed the recommended maximum. It's a whole other world than signing off on something that's already been considered ok.

ICV's were always an expensive and unique case.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

unique pain in the arse?

the gingerbeer would want to have done their sums, and be damn sure you're not a wanker before going outside the guidelines.
    it's their reputation and livelihood on the line.

that said, some are willing to do fun projects for a good cause and some rules end up with slightly unnecessary restrictions, eg 6" rim on original 700kg car
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Hey guys, I apologise up front if I have missed the obvious. But I have searched and have no luck.

I'm looking for original manufacturers weights for the ke70

I have found ae71 papers from the rta but havnt found the corresponding paperwork for ke70

Thanks people

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

she loves me coz im a Conversion King love ke70's Avatar

MY RIDE, 2 Door LHD KE70 sedan with 1G HKS stroker: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=51760

Punctuation is the difference between 'I helped my Uncle Jack off his horse' and 'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'