Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: FAQ - National Code of Practice - NCOP Thread

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Default Re: FAQ - National Code of Practice - NCOP Thread

I would expect wheelbase stretch to come under ICV regs.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Texas Hold'em Junky Backyard Mechanic fade-e's Avatar

thanks Cruzida, i swear i looked at the fist post but totally missed...

wde_bdy, it what Cruzida posted, though i did read the parts on length, i think it was ADR 43 that talks about the lengths of vehicles

cheers

Nah, it wasn't there.
    Well it was, but the pic was dead, so I reuploaded.
    Peewee
    2013 86 GTS

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

The dimensions you require are normally on the website of the registration authority in the State or Territory you live and everything you need in NSW is on the RTA site. NCOP has not been adopted yet so be careful about using it. Get everything in writing from your registration authority.

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Just throught I share an email I recieved today, as it might be of interest to people who are following this thread. Here it is anyway

RTA Consultation Session with Engineers Australia

VEHICLE SAFETY AND COMPLIANCE CERTIFICATION SCHEME (VSCCS)
    THE SCHEME TO REPLACE THE ENGINEERING CERTIFICATION SCHEME (ECS)

In 2010 the RTA proposes to implement the Vehicle Safety and Compliance Certification Scheme (VSCCS). This new scheme will replace the Engineering Certification Scheme and applies new scheme entry and administrative requirements.

The RTA will be undertaking public consultation on the scheme, including the changes that will be needed to the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2007. Prior to that occurring, we are consulting with key stakeholders to ensure that they are briefed about the proposed regulatory framework, and specifically about the proposed criteria for assessing the competency of scheme applicants. (The scheme will operate as a licence issued to competent persons.)

Members of Engineers Australia, the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and the American Society of Mechanical Engineers are invited to participate in this consultation with the RTA.

The purpose of the meeting is to provide members with an overview briefing of the VSCCS and seek feedback, as well as consult on the detailed competency criteria proposed in order to be licensed. The meeting will not have time to cover the various vehicle standards that apply (and that are not changing as a result of the VSCCS), or deal with operational issues relating to either the Engineering Certification Scheme or the future VSCCS.

The RTA values the efforts made by members of Engineers Australia over the years to support the ECS, as well as the development of the VSCCS. We look forward to receiving your thoughts.

So it seems that the current ECS is going to dissapear this year and be replaced. I'm going to try to go along to the session and see if there are many changes of interest...
    Last edited by marc280; 07-06-2010 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Not sure if I should be posting details of the meeting....

Dear Marc280

This is not intended to be an open meeting. I know the invite is not as clear as it should be (and this is because it is based on a generic letter that has been used for other Associations). It was initially expected that it would be for discussion with the signatories currently in the scheme (because RTA has not spoken to the Enginers Australia members yet) but I guess they are opening it up to other Engineers Australia members if you are one. Note that at this stage it is not to discuss Standards but licensing of people. Licensing means it is easier to remove persons from the scheme however expect some new government charges which will no doubt have to be passed onto to the vehicle owners.

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Hi Peter,

Like you mentioned, I don't think this is open to the public (I also removed the contact details as I'm not sure if these should be posted up). I was mainly interested to see this as I had heard there was a fair bit of talk of changes and it seems like they are getting closer...

I am interested in the process for becoming a signatory as it was an aim of mine after graduating from Mech Eng. Although after contacting the Institute of Engineers and seeing the huge list of things that a person needs to get signed off and the fact that I would be about 35 by the time I could be a signatory, I decided I might be better to pursue other interests.... It will be interesting to see what changes there are to the licensing of people.

Marc, I am currently in the scheme and I worked for the RTA for 30 years. I've already attended two meetings for AIS station examiners of which there have been about 20 so far. An explanation of the new engineering scheme was included in these. Basically most of the questions asked could not be answered or would not be answered. However the new scheme is supposed to start in about the middle of the third quarter this year and the current Engineers Australia members have not been spoken to yet and one would think that a meeting on the 30th June is a little late to start the dialogue about what the requirements should be.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

so.. not going to happen this year?
    is it better to get things done before or after new scheme comes in? does it look like it will get more difficult overall for punters to get things passed?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

As the letter says it's only about being a member not about standards. We are all trying to make it easier for everyone by having the standards better defined and a lot more info available for everyone to read and understand. The standards will always be the standards but with the right information everyone is better off. The current situation leaves a lot to be desired and lot of the info needs to be updated. This needs to be fixed now no matter what scheme is in place.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

"I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Its hard being a Backyard Mechanic RT40Corona4AGTE's Avatar

Just thinking about how I am going to re-do the brakes on my RT40 project, Section 2.1 of the NCOP V2 states

When the brake system of an early model vehicle is modified, a dual or split circuit brake system
    should be fitted. Disc brakes are highly recommended on the front and generally should be
    power assisted.
    Linky - http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa..._01Jan2011.pdf

I don't however, have room for a booster and was going to run a dual circuit master cylinder for front and rear disc brakes. Is this "generally should be power assisted" a requirement? If it is I suppose I should run a remote booster for the front circuit?

Mods - sorry if this is in the wrong post, but I think this is the right place for this question?

RT
    1967 RT40 Corona Current Project - http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46182

Key word is 'should'.
    Should is a recommendation, not a requirement.
    Peewee
    2013 86 GTS

Its hard being a Backyard Mechanic RT40Corona4AGTE's Avatar

so "generally" would mean it is my choice? as long as the twin circuit booster is the correct size for the given application I cant see it being an issue?

Thanks Cruzida!
    1967 RT40 Corona Current Project - http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46182

As long as the braking capabilities of the car keep the engineer happy, and are no more dangerous than the originals, you should be fine.

However, personally I would recommend updating the system to something more friendly. But thats just my opinion (don't be surprised if some engineers have this same opinion).
    Peewee
    2013 86 GTS