Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: FAQ - National Code of Practice - NCOP Thread

Built not Bought Grease Monkey Rosie's Avatar

Default Re: FAQ - National Code of Practice - NCOP Thread

Well, if your engineer is cool with the ra28 'GT' specs, 1UZ and 2JZGTE are a go...see below as per the new specs 3 x 1116kgs = 3.3 L + turbo in a ra28? Sound legit?

Heaviest weight i can find factory spec is a RA28GT - 1116KG's.
    Still don't think that'll get the 2JZGTE in - in NSW i believe its 2.5x weight in kilo's = maximum cc's of forced induction motor which is 2790cc's max. Dunno what ACT is but with that figure (obtained here: http://celica.dublet.org/reference.pl?celica=RA28%20GT). the 2JZ-GTE will never make it. The 1JZ has always been the biggest that you can put in there and make it legal to my knowledge (unless you go the full on engineering route - $$$)
    BTW: My 1GGZE 23 only weighed 1080kg's (W58, T diff, 15" heavy rims) on the weighbridge for engineering.
    As an aside i can't find a thing on RA23GT's - only TA23GTs (1014kgs). Did RA23GT's really exist? Or only RA35 coupe GT's?

she loves me coz im a Conversion King love ke70's Avatar

might be alright for the 28, but the 22 and the like, aka, the better looking one it just wont happen with these rules
    also limits what can go in my ke70,but can still fit the 2.25 litres so im happy
    MY RIDE, 2 Door LHD KE70 sedan with 1G HKS stroker: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=51760

Punctuation is the difference between 'I helped my Uncle Jack off his horse' and 'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

it appears that rose joints may now be able to be certified if they are of good quality!!!

the more consistent rules regarding "change from OEM spec" is nto so good

LS3 is still my friend
    Track. Where non-original axle or suspension cross-member components are fitted, the offset of the wheel in relation to the axle or hub assembly used must not be increased by more than 12.5mm each side of the vehicle based on the specifications of the axle components used. If an axle assembly is shortened then the track width limit is taken as the axle manufacturers original track dimension, less the amount the assembly has been narrowed, plus 25mm;

Cross-member. When a cross-member is modified, or when a cross-member from another vehicle model is fitted, it must be reinforced where necessary to maintain its original structural strength and stiffness.
    LS5 still seems a bit light on detail but also says
    The approval should also comply with the general guidelines contained in both sub-section 2 General Requirements and Specific Requirements in Approval Code LS3 Front Suspension and Steering Conversion – Design.
    = good

re: carbon bonnets
    Fibreglass and Other Composite Replacement Panels
    Original bolt-on metal bonnets and mudguards may be replaced with fibreglass or other composite panels that comply with Section 2.7 on pre 1971 (ADR 10) vehicles providing the modification does not increase the rigidity of the front structure of the vehicle and the collapsibility of the steering column on ADR 10 vehicle is not compromised.
    The catches and or the design of a replacement bonnet shall prevent it from being propelled rewards through the windscreen into the cabin area in the event of a frontal collision.
    that might be hard to prove .. but is only for pre-1971 cars
    there is no allowance for later cars to use replacement composite panels

Mudguard Flares
    Flared extensions may be added to original mudguards. There is no restriction on their design or size, however, the new section must be securely fixed, the ends tapered back to follow the body line of the vehicle and the exposed edges must have a radius of at least 5mm. The shape of flared mudguards must ensure that there is no likelihood of contact with tyres under all operating conditions.
    I Rikey

Re: Tubbing
    4.5 INNER MUDGUARD MODIFICATION
    Inner mudguards may be extended to form wheel tubs to accommodate larger wheels and tyres provided that:
    • the vehicle structure is not weakened
    • seat anchorages or seat belt anchorages are not weakened
    • body modifications are not undertaken within 200mm of any seat anchorage or seat belt anchorage
    • the wheels or tyres do not protrude beyond the bodywork of the vehicle when viewed from above
    • the wheels or tyres do not contact any part of the vehicle’s suspension, brake lines or bodywork for the full range of suspension movement
    • the maximum allowable rim and tyre sizes are not exceeded
    • the maximum and minimum allowable track is not exceeded; and
    • there are no sharp or dangerous projections.
    Any replacement mudguard panels should use material of at least the same thickness as the surrounding body panels and should preferably be fully welded to the body on one side of the panel and stitch welded on the other. All joints must be sealed against the entry of exhaust fumes into the cabin and to prevent moisture getting between any over-lapping panels.
    Wheel tubs that require modifications to coil spring and shock absorber mounts are discouraged.
    Where the installation requires modification or relocation of seat mountings, seat belt mountings, structural sub-frames or chassis rails, the vehicle must be approved under Approval Codes LH5 and LH6.
    Vehicles built to ADR 69 and/or ADR 73 requirements are not covered by these requirements and must be approved under Approval Codes LH5 and LH6.
    so far it is looking good! less ambiguity
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

On the whole it's looking like making sense.

This scares me, because it is something created by the government.
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Don't get too excited yet Stu, they aren't in force yet.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

they will be by the time i get back..

but most importantly, they are no different to current NSW regs in what i want to do anyway so either way is all good (but tyre size may still be an issue either way)
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

ALL PLEASE NOTE:

The NCOP might soon be adopted in NSW. A revised version is on the DOTARS website for comment until sometime near the end of this month. It's in your interest to send some comments.

talkin to an engineer a couple of weeks ago, most likely to be adopted in qld around september i think he said.
    said they had commited to a time frame...
    but theyve done that before

we're all growing old waiting for NCOP to come into play, and im madly panicking trying to get car engineered before it does
    MY RIDE, 2 Door LHD KE70 sedan with 1G HKS stroker: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=51760

Punctuation is the difference between 'I helped my Uncle Jack off his horse' and 'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

I still find it funny as all fuck that a "reduction in seating capacity" requires and engineer's cert.

I mean really, you take out the back seats and don't put people there.... not exactly rocket science

On a MASSIVE plus, aftermarket seats appear to not have to have an ADR sticker... they just need to meet VSB 5a, which basically means an engineer must certify it's safe according to a bunch of fairly sensible requirement (here: http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...f/vsb_05_a.pdf )
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

go the next step, and weld in 2 doors, making a 4 door a 2 two, admitadly moving the B pillar to fit longer (factory) doors, but its a replication of a factory model, so you have added bracing by welding in doors, you are reducing passengers from 5 to 2, and you are adding a 6 point cage, and they want you to do a beaming and torsional test, because the best they can come up with is to make you do it with convertable and cabriolet codes...
    just pure genius...

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

So glad I'm building my toys in NZ.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by petergoudie
    ALL PLEASE NOTE:

The NCOP might soon be adopted in NSW. A revised version is on the DOTARS website for comment until sometime near the end of this month. It's in your interest to send some comments.
    Any news on this?

Mmmmm, 1jz Ke70

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Yes, I followed up on this. As I understand it, all the State & Territory jurisdictions provided comment. There were some individual comments from persons. Only three engineers commented and I was one of them. Some of the comments were accepted and others weren't. To find out what the NSW perspective is you should write to the NSW Minister for Transport or the RTA CEO. I suspect a true national NCOP is a long way off. It's more likely that parts of it will be adopted. There are some fundamental issues of just what qualifications should a person hold that can authorise modifications. There are also operational issues just because Australia is a big place with different topography. I guess you know that two days ago NSW introduced new standards that the maximum lift or lowering height is 50mm and every suspension change from standard requires sign off by an engineer.

Nice reponse time

Yeah it was the new rules that made me remember the NCOP. A mate of mine started on a car in 2006 with the view of getting it registered under the NCOP capacity:weight rule :/ He's been divorced, remarried and now has a kid and he's still waiting....

Has any one seen this little gem?

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...-july-2009.pdf

currently only applicable to NSW, but will not be long before other states follow suit.

There also seems to be very little consultation with engineers, and automotive bodies with the main aim of the legislation to reduce "hoons", which of course do little to the small minority that earn that reputation and realistic greatly impact us, the motoring enthuasis, who modify there vehicle to improve performance and safety, and also do this legally.

with only a week left before its introduce if you disagree with the legislation please write to your local MP and request them to make representation to him and delay the introduction of this VSI until the RTA has conducted adequate consultation with industry and other stakeholders.

Here is a letter that the 4x4 community have prepared which you can use or follow to get your message across

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/new_rta_...ension_mp.html