Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toyota Crown RS56 Ute project or Z UTE the build so far

Toymods Vice President Chief Engine Builder TheToyman75's Avatar

Default Re: Toyota Crown RS56 Ute project or Z UTE the build so far

Great News. Really looking forward to seeing this one finished.
    1971 2T-B Celica TA22 ST.
    1973 2T-G Celica TA22, aka "The Unicorn".
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT
    1976 2T-G Celica TA23, aka "The Colonel".
    1985 3F Auto FJ62 Landcruiser
    1989 7M-GTE MA70 Supra, aka "The Poopra"

History: Rods Classic Celica Sampler thread.

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

As per my post in the Crown revival thread;

The GS300 5 speed auto trans with the flanged output shaft was going to necessitate some fancy machining and a funky tailshaft as per JZK's MS55 2J build.

I sourced another 5 speed auto from behind a BEAMS 3SGE engine, this one has a splined output shaft no flange, woo hoo. These boxes are essentially from the same family, sharing all ratios, the different part numbers are for the specific differences between the two applications.

The bellhousing swapped over without any hassles,

The torque converter from the new box will bolt up to the 2J flexplate,

The pan will need to be swapped to shift the trans fluid dipstick to the other side, or plate the hole and shift the existing dipstick.

The main electrical connector for the solenoids is direct plug and play so no changes required there, same with the smaller elec connections,

The electrical connector at the shifter quadrant is different, should be simple enough to change quadrant boxes,

Time to get down to the shed and do some work,

cheers Chuck.
    "What man can build, man can fix!"
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!

Crazy Chief Engine Builder 1JZ-Rolla's Avatar

Sounds crazy chuck..... hope it all works out!

Are you concerned though that the 2 litre 4 banger's torque converter will be a mismatch for the torquey 3 litre?
    AE71 Corolla 2 door window van - retired / JZA70 Supra - VVTi converted - sold

Good point Phil, looks like the 2JZ and 3SGE torque converters are the same externally. Wonder how much difference there could be betwen them. Regardless, I will offer up the 2JZ converter to the box this week, just to suss out the fit, if that works, then that will be the one I use.

Quadrant change is not quite as easy as first thought, due to different mounting, however a quick plug change on the loom will sort that out.

This is all on a time available basis at the moment, helping a mate out stripping and prepping his wagon for paint at the moment.

My good lady has just made a hospital date for the 2nd knee replacement, that will throw a spanner in the works for time critical jobs.

cheers Chuck.
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!

Junior Member Conversion King TheStitt's Avatar

thanks chuck,

we'll move from the wagon to the ute...
    ST177 UZS131 Crown Royal 'G' the pimping limo like daily 1UZFE 144rwkw

DST17T MS53 68 Crown Custom Wagon 7MGTE 266rwkw

Phil, I checked with Mal, the BEAMS 3SGE TQ Converter is used in a range of Toyota's including the early 1JZ N/A Crowns. Having measured both torque converters and coming up identical, I will definately be using the 2JZ-GE VVTi article.

With both pans removed it is near impossible to tell the difference between the Altezza box and the GS300 box, even the wire colours are the same. One happy chappy.

Will pull the engine and box out asap and swap over the transmissions, is real easy to do at this stage, support engine on hoist remove gbox x member, undo engine mounts and haul the sucker out.

Oh yea these ended up on the ute and not the Custom Wagon.

cheers Chuck.
    Last edited by "Z" UTE; 20-11-2012 at 10:30 AM. Reason: phatphinga's
    MS51Crown Coupe,

Well the box swap is almost complete, just have to change over the quadrant switch, or tie a new plug into the loom to suit this box.

Pays to check everything carefully, I had 2 torque converters from VVTi 2J engines, one from a JZS151 Crown, and another from a GS300 Lexus, the Lexus unit is 8mm shorter than the Crown item. All other dimensions were exactly the same, PCD for mount to flex plate, diameter and spline counts, and engagement depth all came up the same, that 8mm could have proved interesing when bolting the flexplate to the converter,

cheers Chuck.
    MS51Crown Coupe,

New brake hard lines fitted from master cylinder and proportioning valve to front and rear brakes. Now I can put the engine back in the hole at last, and get on with fitting a whole range of other bits. One less engine on the garage floor will give me some working room at last.lol.

The new photobucket has got this old guy stumped, no idea how to post pics now!

cheers Chuck.
    MS51Crown Coupe,

Lord of InterpretiveDance Chief Engine Builder tomvale13's Avatar

Try imgur: the simple image sharer if you can't figure it out Chuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzo View Post
    They cash in the empty can of whoopass they received in SA and receive 10c's per punch...
    They have to accrew enough for nose reconstructions as well as feeding his mime family. The dont talk much so they never need much water for their dry mouths.

ok trying imgur,

well that was as simple as photobucket used to be, thanks Tom, not a pic I really needed just testing, but it worked.

Photobucket has magically started to work again

just a pic of something I like

cheers Chuck.
    Last edited by "Z" UTE; 02-05-2013 at 09:49 AM.
    MS51Crown Coupe,

Lord of InterpretiveDance Chief Engine Builder tomvale13's Avatar

No problemos buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzo View Post
    They cash in the empty can of whoopass they received in SA and receive 10c's per punch...
    They have to accrew enough for nose reconstructions as well as feeding his mime family. The dont talk much so they never need much water for their dry mouths.

Forum Member

Let me know if you ever want to sell it

WOW, this thread is as old as the hills, and unfortunately the ute is still not finished, ah well I had a couple of distractions. Paint a Crown wagon for someone I know, his missus was trying to charge me board and lodgings I was at his place for so long! Imported and painted the MS51 Crown Coupe, sorted engine issues and attempted to sort old auto boxes. (long stories to both). Someone convinced me that the MS53 needed a quick engine change before a trip to the Toyota Nationals. You know me, the paint gun had to come out once the wagon engine bay was vacant, so in went a lick of 2K hi gloss, to get the old girl ship shape. The quick engine change slowed down at the fitting of the exhaust when we noted a crack in the headers. A set of extractors and a bit of flame from the torch had us back in the groove again. No excuses here just saying. I have a few spare evenings coming up, and have decided that instead of waiting on an Auto Electrician mate to help me out I should try and nut out the wiring for the ute myself. Been a bit down on my mate, but it turns out the 6 year delay was caused by an undiagnosed medical condition.Oooopps. Updates will follow as soon as I can tie a few wires together. Oh and all the air lowering gear and other stuff that had to be engineered will be removed prior to engineering. Got to keep the cost down for that stuff, engineering costs were just spiralling out of control. Would post a pic, but no one wants to see pics of a ute buried in 3 years of dust.

Will update soon, cheers Chuck.
    MS51Crown Coupe,

Junior Member Grease Monkey

I'd be happy to see pics of a Ute buried in 3 years of dust. Makes it seem like it could be one of my projects that way.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Can't believe I haven't gone through this thread previously. Now I'm along for the joyride.