Thread: AE101 4AGZE into AE82 - running but only just, help needed.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default AE101 4AGZE into AE82 - running but only just, help needed.

Hey guys,

I need some help with my engine swap, AE101 GZE + C160 into AE82. Everything mechanical is done, and I finished the wiring today. When I tried to start it up, the motor cranks fine, and started. It tries to stall almost immediately unless I give it some throttle. It will rev, but dies eventually. I was thinking possibly COR, and I haven't tried hard-wiring the fuel pump yet to check this, but I'm having other problems.

The check engine light is flashing on and off randomly. I tried reading the codes, but with no luck. But the main problem, there is a clicking noise coming from the throttle area whenever the ignition is on. When I disconnect the IACV, the clicking stops. I'm not sure if all of these faults are linked to one common cause.

Anyway, I bought the engine about 2 weeks ago and I am not sure of it's history. Basically I don't know if I have hooked something up wrong, or if something was already broken. This is my first ever attempt at wiring an engine conversion of this kind. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions or tips, please help. Thanks.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: AE101 4AGZE into AE82 - running but only just, help needed.

UPDATE. When I attempted to read the ECU error codes, the check engine light was flashing on at random intervals, no discernible pattern at all. After two attempts, I realised the only time the check engine light comes on, is when the IACV stops clicking momentarily. When I disconnected the IACV, the check engine light would not come on at all. Any ideas?

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: AE101 4AGZE into AE82 - running but only just, help needed.

There is several power feeds to a ZE loom. Cant remember without looking at it, but some of the solenoids / SC use different power wire to injectors etc. Check for 12V on the SC, Injectors, Coils, Solenoids when key is on.

Also, AE92 and AE101 looms and ECUs are not cross-compatible. The idle speed controller and CAS wires go into different places on the ECUs. You can re-pin them to suit (have done it a few times). Check voltage of MAP sensor at ECU with engine on but not running, something like 2.5V (PIM), check THA and THW voltages (should be around the same when engine is cold). Make sure the knock sensor is plugged in, some (mainly AE92) ECUs freak out if the knock sensor is unplugged.

Look out for air leaks (leaking pipes or disconnected pipes).