Thread: 20v into a 4afe corolla.

Forum Member

Default 20v into a 4afe corolla.

hi guys i have bought my self a 20v silvertop.

now im having trouble with parts . could u guys make me a little list of what ill need to get it into my rolla and going.
    like which gearboxes i can use and weather i need hubs n shafts with that box.

would appreciate it .

p.s ive got a 96 seca

Learner / modder / Backyard Mechanic PrettyCoolWagon's Avatar

Default Re: 20v into a 4afe corolla.

Hi Adelk,
    Reasonably common conversion, although more common in early secas.
    Search the various forums 4age, twincam etc.. there's sure to be a few good 20v build threads.
    Being a 4A-- engine, all engine mounts and bolting points to the gearbox bellhousing should be fine, making 20v into a 1996 seca a relatively straight forward process.

Few questions:
    Has it been compression tested? This should be done before converting, otherwise it's a hit and miss affair.
    Main things you will need are 20v ECU and loom or an aftermarket engine management set up. Will also help if you have any other 20v items from around the engine bay.. but not essential..

4afe fuel delivery should be fine for a 20v but you can upgrade to a larger fuel pump and/or swirlpot if you want to.
    Depends on how aggressive you want to tune the 20v, which then leads to other things you'll naturally want to consider like, performance headers, fuel injectors and adjustable cam gears.

Also search the web for any pdf's or computer discs for sale that have 4afe & 20v service manual.

Good quality tools/socket set..
    Patient methodical approach..

Engineers certificate
    and you're done
    With better breathability and higher compression ratio, it should be fun
    Last edited by PrettyCoolWagon; 31-12-2011 at 12:22 AM.
    4AFE/gearbox issues, 4AGT/ZE replacement changes to fully blown 7AGTE project...
    https://www.facebook.com/gerard.mang...1485304&type=3
    The Corolla 4WD fan club: https://www.facebook.com/Corolla.Ae95.4wd?ref=hl

Forum Member

thanks for the reply mate. well im just seeing what parts n that i need i got a good mate whos a mechanic and hes doing me the swap for 500. could rise depending on what problems arise . as in parts we didnt get that need to be ordered.

the engine comes with all looms ecu airflow etc. bought it from sss. automotive sydney. well i would like either a c52 or 56 gearbox but wont one were shafts and the wont be a problem.

but they never sent me a compression test when it got delivered should probably ask for it.

as for engineers cert. i was told by alot of ppl . that since ive got a 101 and the engine is out of a 101 that wont be a problem.

Learner / modder / Backyard Mechanic PrettyCoolWagon's Avatar

Sounds like you've got it all sussed, mechanic friend etc.
    If you bought from sss then generally speaking it should be ok. Parts importers generally compression test their engines before shipping but there are a few horror stories out there.
    You can buy a compression tester for anywhere from $25 to $125 bucks from places like super cheap auto, autobarn and ebay.
    There's loads on ebay. Take a look.
    compression tester | eBay

There's loads of info on youtube on how to do a compression test.
    This guys got some pretty straight forward info.
    Compression Testing and What You Can Learn From It - YouTube

AE101 to AE101 sounds right, You'll find out one way or another if you register the engine conversion with NSW road authority..
    Good luck, take photos and be sure to post the result.
    Last edited by PrettyCoolWagon; 31-12-2011 at 12:51 PM.
    4AFE/gearbox issues, 4AGT/ZE replacement changes to fully blown 7AGTE project...
    https://www.facebook.com/gerard.mang...1485304&type=3
    The Corolla 4WD fan club: https://www.facebook.com/Corolla.Ae95.4wd?ref=hl

Administrator Backyard Mechanic

SSS are pretty good as they do both a leakdown test and stick a borescope down the spark plug tubes to inspect them after it has ran for a few minutes. The little PID stickers they plaster over the gear if you ring them up and tell them the numbers they'll be able to provide you with leak down results etc.

Do the timing belt and cam seals now, and rear main whilst it is out. Use your C52 gearbox and it'll be ok. C56 is better but the c52 ain't bad either. If you have a 96 / immoboliser version of the ae101 (way to tell is 1 centre console rectangular plug vs 2) for your 4afe then you'll have to repin a few wires.