Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IRB20 Transformation

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default IRB20 Transformation

Ok its finally started. After many months of planning and saving the tranformation has begun.

Platform Car is a 180sx, currently with an rb20 in it with work. It currently has DBA Slotted Rotors, 2 Bucket Seats, Steering Wheel, Shift Knob, 17" Osaka Mags.

Rear seats and Seatbelts have already been removed and car is still fitted with full stereo until simone comes and gets its

Everyday ill update on whats been done to the car

Also thanks to Petey aka SkIDMan for the help he is going to be giving me with the transformation and Monkey.

Day1: (Tuesday Night)

Removed Front Bar, Water dumped from radiator.

Day2Wednesday Night)

Removed Bonnet, Removed Cooler and Cooler Piping, Removed Power Steering Container, Oil Catch Can, Disconnected Fuel Lines, Disconect and Removed ECU, Dismantled Intake

Day3 : (Thursday Night)

No pictures today, but all i did today was remove the exahust from before the cat and also removed the driveline

Cant wait for the weekend caues we will have the motor out by mid day saturday

Day4: (Friday Night)

Setup engine crane

Removed gear stick, removed microtech handcontroller, removed PS2, removed centre console, remove glove box.

Removed Seats, removed entire stereo, removed rsm, safc, boost gauge, oil gauge rear carpet.

PICTURES TO COME

Day5: (Saturday Day)

Omg... longest day every have only just finished now.... ok woke up at 6am and started work on the car..... Finish time 5.21.... best day every

big thanks to Monkey(Derek) and Petey(Skidman) and Sarah(Skidmans Women). Without u guys helping I would of never got it done.

Engine/gearbox is out, Interior is totally stripped, engine bay resprayed High Gloss Black, sound deadning removed from interior, resprayed in Matt Black....... i know offically hat sound deadning.

Dont have pics as yet, as petey has to head off so will get pictures tomorrow morning before we start anymore work

Was happy all day today... As previously mentioned BEST DAY EVERY

Default Re: IRB20 Transformation

PICTURES FROM SATURDAY

Pulling it out

The Big Catch

Dash Removed

Interior

Empty Boot

Painted Engine Bay

Painted Boot

Check out my ride high

**THANKS TO MY OLD MATE NATHAN FOR THE HELP REMOVING THE CRAZY AMOUNT OF SOUND DEADNING**

Day6: (Sunday Day)

Well another early start today... Didnt have much to get done today, but wanted to have the afternoon to chill.

Was a busy morning sifting through the orginal loom and removing anything i no long had in the car or needed. Here is a pic of the new loom.

*notice the limited amount of loom just sitting out the drivers door*

We removed the s*** on the firewall and sprayed it with Matt Black

Then we started working on relocating the battery to the boot. Here is far we are. Obviously am going to have to purchase a new battery.

We have also removed unwanted wires from the engine bay, have removed the rear windscreen wiper and also aerial, am going to shave them. Also removed the clutch master and slave cylinders.

Am waiting for the arrival of my surge tank, external fuel pump, manifold and halfcut

Update

Well havent touched the car since sunday lol damn work commitments. lol

Will try and get some work on it tonite... Want to vaccum the front carpet and make it look tidy and easier to work in on the weekend. Going to removed the white glue stuff on the doors and also look at removing center bolts from the firewall no longer needed.

Being purchased tomorrow will be:

High Mount Manifold
    2/2.5lt Surge Tank
    Bosch 040 External Fuel Pump
    50mm Wastegate

Will be installing the Surge Tank on the weekend and storing the other goodies.

Hopefully my halfcut will turn up next week when my parents are away lol so if will be quite a surprise when the come back from cairns lol

Saturday

Well started work on the car again today. Unfortunately the halfcut has been delayed until the end of the month, so had to find something to do today. Also the manifold i was going to purchase jumped up $400 in price so i told them to F**k off lol.

Have order through ebay a manifold/bosch 044 and 50mm wastegate.

Today we start the installtion of the 2.5lt surge tank. Purchased all the fittings and hoses and began work on it. Unfortunately because we didnt have the external fuel pump we were unable to complete the setup and we also ran out of fuel line lol.

Looks very hot and should sound awesome once the 2 pumps are running. Anyone that knows the car knows the in-tank i have is a noisy f***er lol So with the huge external pump u wont be able to hear yoursellf think inside the cabin, but u wont be worrying about that when were sideways

Going to start working on re-installed my new bucket seats and putting the dash back in and also the new handbrake setup tomorrow, so will get photos then and upload

PICTURES

Well just took some pictures of the work we completed on the weekend, which wasnt very much lol

2.5lt Surge Tank

Car as it currently sits in my garage suspended by an engine crane with no cross member.

**UPDATE**

Have found another halfcut for cheaper and hopefully arriving this weekend or next week due to easter lol.

Am awaiting the arrival of my manifold/wastegate/external fuel pump.

Have also enquired about a halfcage that should be arriving in a couple of weeks thanks to Banzai Motorsports

As monkey said to me yesterday. Now is the good part, you have finished pulling the car apart and now we get to put it back together.

Unfortunately once the engine arrives you wont be seeing anymore pictures of the engine bay until its finished..... Ill just give u updates of the interior and parts that arrive for the engine. Like turbo, wastegate, manifold, ecu etc

Sorry guys.

Sexy Handbrake Pics

Will be removing the orginial handbrake shortly, just waiting to finish other parts of the car.

UPDATE:

w00t w00t... got a delivery today. My new 50mm gate turned up

here are some pictures

Hopefully more fun stuff will turn up tomorrow

Its been a while since my last update cauuse ive been lazy to do anything plus still waiting on s***.

Go my ass over the computer chair the other week and got the crossmember installed again and attached the powersteering again and put the wheels back on and finally pushed the car out of the garage after 4 weeks lol.

Here is a pics of the crossmember.

Today I decided to start work on my dash. Because Im not going to have any airconditioner units ive decided to cover up all my air vents and also the nice big crack i have. So i went down to Bunning and purchased everything i needed to fibre glass it

This being my first time fibre glassing anything it was a bit of hit and miss. It started off all good, until the mixture went harder quicker than we expected.... and then started to heat up considerable in the bucket.... so i threw it over the fence lol... Found out i used too much catalyst. After some expert advice from the bunnings staff in nerang it was all going ahead good Have done almost all the dash, but just gonna let it dry and finish it tomorrow.

From the pics u will see the s*** side on the left which is were we used too much catalyst and it dried to quickly and then the other good side lol.

Here is an interior picture of the drivers seat, steering wheel and hydro handbrake.

And just one random shot of the car with its wheels on

Have to fix up the s*** side... was thinking bout either sanding it back or cutting the lumps out and throwing another layer on?? Anyone with fibre glassing skills let me know.

Update:

Bosch 044 External Fuel Pump turned up today. Didnt expect it to be so big lol. Something else we can install on the weekend. Also means we can finish of the fuel system

back into it Chief Engine Builder

wtf? did you say a soarer with a 1ggte

Fava beans and chianti Backyard Mechanic AE86slut's Avatar

This would be better in the members rides section dude.
    I am not a doctor, or a mechanic...
    A.K.A Otomoto
    All new - Fart!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vios-GT_07
    it was 10,000 kms b4 it saw the red-line.. but even then i seldom push it that hard unless i have to prove a point i.e. competition

Nah its a 180 with a toyota motor.. or it will be...

AE86slut, i asked the guys in my welcome thread were to post and they said in here cause its a conversion. Once its complete ill do a members ride write up.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Hokey's Avatar

What engine?

Junior Member Too Much Toyota RONA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hokey
    What engine?
    At a guess 1jzgte
    If in doubt power out

Fava beans and chianti Backyard Mechanic AE86slut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IRB20
    Nah its a 180 with a toyota motor.. or it will be...

AE86slut, i asked the guys in my welcome thread were to post and they said in here cause its a conversion. Once its complete ill do a members ride write up.
    Fair enough, but I don't see any 'conversion' info at all in what you've posted so far apart from pulling the engine out. Once you start making up engine mounts etc, perhaps it would be more relevant in here. At the moment it just looks like a general build-up thread , which belongs in member's rides.

Then again, I don't really care either way

In any case, good to see you're getting your hands dirty and doing something a bit different. I've seen a 1UZ in a 180, but that's about it.

Cheers,

Jeremy.
    I am not a doctor, or a mechanic...
    A.K.A Otomoto
    All new - Fart!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vios-GT_07
    it was 10,000 kms b4 it saw the red-line.. but even then i seldom push it that hard unless i have to prove a point i.e. competition

Quote Originally Posted by 7MA61
    At a guess 1jzgte
    Its definitely in that family of motors