Thread: 1UZ VVTi into 2WD Rodeo.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jzk25's Avatar

Default 1UZ VVTi into 2WD Rodeo.

Doing this at work ATM, thought I'd share some pics and info incase anyone ever considers it.

Engine in and positioned. Had to remove the battery tray and handbrake idler and lever on chassis rail. A floor handbrake will replace that.

Clearances are very minimal around the powersteer pump/alternator and steering box but I managed to get acceptable clearance here and get the factory cast headers to clear also. There's about 10-15mm minimum at these points.

Because the clearances are so tight I made cotton reel engine mounts so the engine has limited movement.
    The mounts are made from flat bar, 40NB pipe and C channel with urethane bushes. All TIG welded.

Gearbox is an R154 5spd with a CRS Bellhousing and Bullet/NPC clutch and flywheel.
    Gearbox rubber mount is a std toyota item with a modified Rodeo mount plate.

Still a shitload to do. I have already wired a PS2000 to the engine which will use an LS1 throttle body in place of the toyota DBW unit via an alluminium adaptor plate.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: 1UZ VVTi into 2WD Rodeo.

how cool is this
    nice welding skills
    neil
    2009 aurion
    Purple 2000 Hilux - 1UZ

assembly is just the opposite of disassembly - just you swear in different spots!

iconoclast Backyard Mechanic Youngy's Avatar

I really enjoy these threads - thanks.

Not directly related but might help. When I moved my battery I used one of these:

Optima Mounts

and have it up underneath the rear tub

Bit more fiddly stuff today. Made a plate/pulley setup to replace the hydraulic fan pump pulley.

Made an adaptor plate to mate the LS1 throttle to the 1UZ inlet.

Original nugget DBW throttle.

Welded generic 2 bolt flanges to the cast manifolds. Heated them cherry red then TIGed them on to minimise the chance of cracking around the weld.

Hardly a Domestic Engineer Sciflyer's Avatar

Nice work as usual

NVH shouldnt be too bad with those engine mounts?

I think you have the pulley belt goign the wrong way around the alt/tensioner....

It's been rerouted because the steering box is tucked in between the PS pump and Alt.

Ghetto exhaust. Functional but not pretty.

Power steering hoses were a bit of a headache because they are so close to each other.

I was able to use the std oil filter stalk off the block but couldn't fit a filter to it because of idler arm clearance so fitted a remote setup.

C2H5OH Powered Automotive Encyclopaedia George's Avatar

How do you plan to take over immobilizer? Or which aftermarket ECU with 2 vvti capability you plan to install?
    USSR GAZ24 with 1UZ-FE VVTi (UCV24) http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=60301
    Engine conversion is when you drive a shitbox which costs a whole LEXUS to own

Forum Member

Hi There,
    Hello from sunny South Africa. I have just joined the group and am wondering if there is anyone out there that has an electrical diagram for the 1UZ FE VVTi engine. I bought a front cut - so I have all the electrics with the engine - the idea being to keep all factory settings for the engine as original as possible.

I have stripped out the full wiring loom and am going through a long tedious process of trying to trace all the wires to establish which ones I need and don't need. The pinouts of the ECU would be a huge help, specifically the two plugs that run across to the ignition and instrument panel.

As a point of interest I am doing the Lexus transplant into a longwheel base Mercedes Sprinter with the final goal of building a mobilehome for my wife and I to enjoy in our retirement. I was going to call it a spLinter but the wife settled for Robson's Recreational Vehicle ( R V )

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Post your request in the Tech and Conversions section and not engine & drive line conversions and someone there should be able to help you out mate.

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice moggie's Avatar

Good to hear that you heated the cast iron while welding it. Good work with nice skills
    SA63 Coupe Restoration - Finally have the motivation to finish her.