Thread: 3tgte help will run without fuel pump and flood when fuel pump is connected

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 3tgte help will run without fuel pump and flood when fuel pump is connected

ok recently put a 3tgte into my t18. which 4 weeks ago was in another t18 ran like a champion and pulled harder then a 12 yo.

basicly we keept most of the loom attached to the motor becuse the ecu and knock control censor i have all the main grounds conected block to chassis gear box to chassis. and the ecu grounds are all grounded.

we changed the turbo to a t25 dont no if that would change anything.

ok so we have the fuel pump hard wire to the on position on the ignition the first start ran a little rough but still idle with the fuel pump but had to turn it of due to oil pissing out of the turbo oil feed banjo becuse it wasnt tight enough. fixed that then on the next start up blew off a fuel line on the return line to the tank from the fuel rail.

then i i disconected the fuel pump from the wireing and forgot to re conect it and it sarted up fine and ran reved and idled smooth.

then we disconect the hose on the fuel return to see if the pressure thingo was releasing extra fuel back to the tank when we did that (there is joiner on the line to extend the return line) we split the line at the joiner i put in there (while the car was off no fuel pump running ) and there was fuel spewing up from the tank with great pressure behind it back up the fuel return opposite to were it should be going it proberley spat out 250ml of fuel and keept spitting and splutering.

then we tested to fuel pump to see if it was flowing the right way it was we had fuel coming out the return on the rail as it should when the pump was on. i think it was strange. also disconected fuel to the cold start injector and made no difference.

im in perth if anyone could take a look im out of ideas

cheers mattt.

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

Default Re: 3tgte help will run without fuel pump and flood when fuel pump is connected

Connections at the tank right? Blocked return line? Run the return into a tin and see how it goes, sounds like too much pressure is flooding it as there should be minimal pressure in the return line.

Callum

Default Re: 3tgte help will run without fuel pump and flood when fuel pump is connected

Quote Originally Posted by WDE_BDY View Post
    Connections at the tank right? Blocked return line? Run the return into a tin and see how it goes, sounds like too much pressure is flooding it as there should be minimal pressure in the return line.

Callum
    ok will try that any over possibilities out there

matt.

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

incidentally, with the fuel pump off the car shouldn't really run for more than ~10 secs before dying from fuel starvation, regardless of any of the other issues you're describing.

I'd agree - double and triple check that your fuel hoses are going to the right places.
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

ok does anyone have pictures of the line i should be connected to

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

What mods have been done to the tank? T18 only runs carb from factory so from memory only have a vent rather than a return line as such. Trace the line the return is going down and get some pics at the tank end. For my KE70 with EFI setup the factory pickup was used as the return and a new pickup for the feed was welded into the tank.

Callum

i have it all plumbed up and shmick had the guy who did the set up on the t18 it was previously in (white sandshoe) and he said straight away that it didnt sound like th pump was labouring building up pressure just free flowing he said that once it gets to pressure it should dye down and pump slowly. we proceded to crimp the return line. and viola it idle when we had the pump going and sounded like it was ment to

NEW FUEL REG HERE I COME

and if that doesnt work fuck knows

yeah changed the regulater and is adjustable have it on 40psi itll idle on its own realy nice but wont rev very much at all wont get past 2000rpmish then kinda bogs down and stalls there is a constant pressure at the raill it doesnt drop or anything

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

after all those hiccups, did you cleaned or changed those spark plugs? if it idle smoothly with good pressure on the fuel rail I would recommend to give the spark plugs a good clean. See if that help.

ok whats the best way to clean em up last time i tried cleaning plugs it didnt go so well

but yeah it will not go anyhigher then what i think is 2000rpm if that

try using some soft copper brush to clean the spark plug, just to get rid of those the carbon dust from the previous fueling issue. If it helps to rev it smoother, its bout time to change all 8 of them..

yeah but would that do it if there filthy