Thread: celica engine swap suggestions

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default celica engine swap suggestions

first off, sorry if i got this in the wrong section.

i'm after suggestions as to what drop into an early model celica or not to try put in due to headaches suffered in the attempt.

right now i am looking at a carby setup and all my brain can come up with is either working the bejesus out of the stock motor, 2tg or a 3tg with 2tg head and carby replacing the turbo.

cant give a model for what the engine is going to end up in as that all depends on what i can find to buy but more than likely it will be a ta22.

let the suggestions fly people.

TA22 Junkie Backyard Mechanic Silly Rabbit's Avatar

Default Re: celica engine swap suggestions

..granted this is your first post but start trawling through the pages and pages of threads in these forums for some ideas first......there would have to be at least 20 exact same threads on Toymods that deal with this question of "what engine / upgrade do I do with a TA22". If you are having trouble with any particular questions after that then i'm sure a million answers will be forthcoming.

The search button is your friend
    “From the five years, 1968-73, if you were an F1 driver at that time, there was a very likely chance that you would have died.”
    - Jackie Stewart
    (now that's my type of racing )

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

i knew such a response would be given early...
    if this p.o.s pc didnt freeze/blue screen 60% of the time within 5 mins of boot up and then lag out during that time just to make things even more interesting then i would surely use the search function.

maybe i should stick to picking rod and scrote's brains when i do get the chance to catch up with them for idea's/suggestions. thanks muchly for the helpful post

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

You need to determine what function you want from the car you intend to modify?

Is it a nice street car, or do you intend to occasionally put it on the track or in the drags?

Then the real time consuming and expensive start rolls in... such as brake upgrade, better suspension, gearbox and diff considerations? Do you want to go turbo or not?

If it's an all out quest for power then you need to understand this gets very expensive and the driving characteristics of the vehicle change dramatically. It's one thing having 150-200rwkw in a little TA22, where it's great fun and easy to drive, compared to the same car with 300 or more rwkw which won't be a pleasant or easy car to drive around the streets.

If you ask ten people you will get 10 different answers. You must have some idea of what you want, and if you post your wish list then others here can make a more realistic determination on what set-up would possibly fulfill your requirements.

Finally, as mentioned... search is indeed your friend. Sorry about your crappy PC, so maybe you need to do some work on it before you tackle the car, because (trust me) you will be referring to this site more and more often as you get into your project.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

Am assuming your liking for TA22 will become reality...

Go thru the member's rides looking at TA22's you like - see what folks have the most success with when transplanting into the TA22 chassis.

Although the 2TG route is a proven solution, any motor package that age that you buy will either require rebuilding (tired and worn out) or expensive (rebuilt after being found tired and worn out).

Have you thought about: buy the car and leave the current motor as is, buy a 2nd repalcement motor, rebuild & modify it to suit your taste & skill (and learning as your go), then replace the current tired engine in one go. Rebuilding the engine that's driving your daily driver can and usually ends up being a expensive cluterfkz of monumental proportions.

Personally, I would avoid turbo and/or carbi anything, find/build a RWD'd 4AGE+W58, drop that in, do skids, then rebuild motor to 4AGTE when it starts to blow too much smoke.

As for your PC problems, install Ubuntu on it, use Chrome, done (and then steps back for the inevitable windoze v lunix flamewar to start).
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Forum Member Grease Monkey

if you choose to go with the 2TG ive got one i want to part with, twin carbs and a T50... pm me if your interested.
    in syd.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Hurricane's Avatar

as said above by river.

more info is needed for any desant response.

money and effort involved would be big swayers in your desision

and then money vs the outcome would be the smart way to look at it i guess.

easy option would be a T series as its all/mostly can be bolt in.

turbo 3tc's go rather well and can be setup rather cheap if your handy at making things.

chech out jason's ta22 (sorry TA23) with a carby 3t turbo

dan.
    Last edited by Hurricane; 05-10-2011 at 12:02 PM.
    * 84 FJ60 - 37's, 308, 80 series coils/diffs and LS1TT in the makin
    * 73 KE26 - x4 Brown Wagz
    * 73 KE20 NOW 3T-TE
    * 84 KE70 Panno
    * MX83 LS1 Track Car

Bull now in china shop! Domestic Engineer NME308's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    chech out jason's ta22 with a carby 3t turbo
    dan.

If you are referring to me then its a TA23... The poor man is already having trouble with his pc's search powaz without sending him looking for a phantom!!!

Anyhow I agree with whatever else Hurricane said!

Cheers,
    Jason
    3TC Compound Turbo 1976 TA23 - Members Ride Thread HERE
    479RWHP on 50psi and 70psi hasn't broken her at the track!

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Hurricane's Avatar

haha Same, same.
    * 84 FJ60 - 37's, 308, 80 series coils/diffs and LS1TT in the makin
    * 73 KE26 - x4 Brown Wagz
    * 73 KE20 NOW 3T-TE
    * 84 KE70 Panno
    * MX83 LS1 Track Car

Junior Member Grease Monkey

SR20DET... been done a few times before, they make good power for your buck and there are a LOT of them around (the same can not be said for RWD 4age's)
    GOT: Suzuki SV650 with lots of mods - Almost stock XC falcon ute with 351 and gas
    Building: TA22 with SR20DET