Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Custom Made Coilovers - Corolla, Cressida, Supra, Celica, AE86 + More

Forum Member

Default Re: Custom Made Coilovers - Corolla, Cressida, Supra, Celica, AE86 + More

hey mate are these still available? please pm me? cheers

1MZ > 2JZ Carport Converter knightrous's Avatar

Default Re: Custom Made Coilovers - Corolla, Cressida, Supra, Celica, AE86 + More

I just wanted to throw an idea out there for you. Would you ever consider making a coilover kit that accepts factor fitting shock inserts? The reason I ask is, using the AW11 community as an example, there is a lot of information, testing and opinions formed over the available shocks inserts (Koni, TRD, Tokico, KYB, Bilstien etc etc) that any one can make a fairly informed choice on what shock insert they would prefer for their setup. With coilovers, this is not really the case as with most coilovers, the shock information isn't as commonly known or compared. My idea is that you could produce a coilover kit, that provides all the goodness that one expects, but the buyer can fit their own choice of strut. These kits could potentially be sold for cheaper (maybe?) since you wouldn't need to R&D the shock side of things or manufacturer them. The other bonus is, it will make it easier for the coil overs to be repaired, as most coilovers end up with dead or leaking shocks, which makes them either hard to get fixed or throw away items (If you buy something like D2's....)

Forum Sponsor Domestic Engineer Bazda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by knightrous View Post
    I just wanted to throw an idea out there for you. Would you ever consider making a coilover kit that accepts factor fitting shock inserts? The reason I ask is, using the AW11 community as an example, there is a lot of information, testing and opinions formed over the available shocks inserts (Koni, TRD, Tokico, KYB, Bilstien etc etc) that any one can make a fairly informed choice on what shock insert they would prefer for their setup. With coilovers, this is not really the case as with most coilovers, the shock information isn't as commonly known or compared. My idea is that you could produce a coilover kit, that provides all the goodness that one expects, but the buyer can fit their own choice of strut. These kits could potentially be sold for cheaper (maybe?) since you wouldn't need to R&D the shock side of things or manufacturer them. The other bonus is, it will make it easier for the coil overs to be repaired, as most coilovers end up with dead or leaking shocks, which makes them either hard to get fixed or throw away items (If you buy something like D2's....)
    Hey, we are actually working on this option this year. Wont come for a few months but give us some time!
    1988 Toyota Levin GTZ 10.88 @ 209.57 340kw
    Now 9AGTE 410kw atw
    www.mrpltd.co.nz - Manon Racing Products
    Turbonetics|Custom Coilovers|4/6 Piston custom brake kits|Twin/Triple custom clutch setups|+ MORE
    www.facebook.com/mrpltd - LIKE
    Check out the Toymods Sponsors section for Deals

Bazda, is there any thing that your not working on
    I think this will superseed my homemade HSD/stockstrut setup, so look forward till when you release them.

Will keep you posted.
    They will basically be our coilovers externally, but you will be able to drop in any Koni/Bilstein etc shock.

We are planning on selling them with Koni shocks, and having the Bilsteins as an upgrade option.
    Now 9AGTE 410kw atw
    Turbonetics|Custom Coilovers|4/6 Piston custom brake kits|Twin/Triple custom clutch setups|+ MORE

Quote Originally Posted by Bazda View Post
    Will keep you posted.
    They will basically be our coilovers externally, but you will be able to drop in any Koni/Bilstein etc shock.
    We are planning on selling them with Koni shocks, and having the Bilsteins as an upgrade option.

Non qualified Domestic Engineer

Digressive or linear valve dampers?
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    except for a very few exceptions
    "Don't worry what people think, they don't do it very often."

Daily: Glorified Taxi (F6 Typhoon). Out Of Action: Twin-charged Adub. Ongoing Nightmare: Over re-engineered (not) Alfa Romeo 75.

Our ones here are Semi digressive. An in between.
    If you want digressive we do the Fortune Auto coilovers.
    Now 9AGTE 410kw atw

Non qualified Domestic Engineer

Semi-digressive As in adjustable high speed and low speed valving?

Can you comment on how much the unsprung mass is reduced by when using inverted shocks?
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    except for a very few exceptions
    "Don't worry what people think, they don't do it very often."

Daily: Glorified Taxi (F6 Typhoon). Out Of Action: Twin-charged Adub. Ongoing Nightmare: Over re-engineered (not) Alfa Romeo 75.

Quote Originally Posted by Duk View Post
    Semi-digressive As in adjustable high speed and low speed valving?

Can you comment on how much the unsprung mass is reduced by when using inverted shocks?
    No the shock dyno shows it to be semi digressive.
    Its not a full digressive shock in another works it does have a linear region after the low speed.

How much un sprung weight, id need to weight the shock and multiply it by how far away it is from the wheel etc. Not something I have time for lol.
    Most people use inverted if they want a more solid shock setup, you wont ever have to worry about bending struts.
    Now 9AGTE 410kw atw

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bazda View Post
    Will keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by knightrous View Post
    what he said. keep me posted baz, you may make even more money off me yet
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

Corolla coilovers are in stock!
    Now 9AGTE 410kw atw

Junior Member Carport Converter StuC's Avatar

Hey Baz,
    looks like i need to get a new set of shocks for the starlet as the RWC guys here dont like how firm they are - stupid Teins, even though they;ve been revalved and rebuilt here.
    How firm are the street ones on soft and what are they like for the odd track day on firm? Comparable to a set of kyb/konis with kings?
    EP82 Starlet GT - [URL="http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/forum-members-rides/71090-stus-ep82-starlet-gt.html"[/URL] SOLD
    EP82 Starlet GT V2.0 - http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/sho...98#post1514198 SOLD
    The IS400, GXE10 with 1UZ - http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/thr...8-StuC-s-IS400

Junior Member Carport Converter StuC's Avatar

Hey Baz,
    looks like i need to get a new set of shocks for the starlet as the RWC guys here dont like how firm they are - stupid Teins, even though they;ve been revalved and rebuilt here.
    How firm are the street ones on soft and what are they like for the odd track day on firm? Comparable to a set of kyb/konis with kings?
    EP82 Starlet GT - [URL="http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/forum-members-rides/71090-stus-ep82-starlet-gt.html"[/URL] SOLD
    EP82 Starlet GT V2.0 - http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/sho...98#post1514198 SOLD
    The IS400, GXE10 with 1UZ - http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/thr...8-StuC-s-IS400

Quote Originally Posted by StuC View Post
    Hey Baz,
    Hey Stu, we dont do these for the Starlets anymore, only Corolla.
    And they ride pretty smooth compared to Tein etc.

I can only offer Stalet ones in the Fortune Auto brand which is $1450aud delivered.
    These ride very smooth and are comparable to Koni Sport series in ride comfort.
    Now 9AGTE 410kw atw