Thread: RN40 Hilux Engine & Gearbox advice needed - 1st time Toyota owner

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default RN40 Hilux Engine & Gearbox advice needed - 1st time Toyota owner

Hi everyone,
    I have a 1980 RN40 Hilux which is my first Toyota. Have been into older Mitsubishis previous. Came across this Hilux when I was offered a job lot of four of them. Was going to sell them all, but after driving this one around my mates farm i'm wanting to keep it.
    It is a 2WD tray back, 12R motor and 4 speed column shift manual. Drums all round, but putting discs from one of the other hiluxes onto it.

The questions I have are:
    1 - Engine options most likely are either sticking with the 12R or going an 18R or 18R-C. Is the 18R or 18R-C going to provide any worthwhile difference over the 12R? Advantage is that I have an 18R-C in the brake donor Hilux, but it is behind an auto box.
    2 - Is the 18R-C much different than an 18R power wise?
    3 - Is the 18R physically identical to the 12R as far as dimensions and engine mounts go?
    4 - Can the 4 speed column shift manual gearbox behind my 12R bolt to either an 18R or 18R-C?
    5 - If it won't bolt up, what 4 or 5 speed column shift gearbox can I use? What car is it out of?
    6 - With a 5 speed column shift swap - do I have to swap the shifter assembly?
    7 - Are there any non-electronic controlled 4 speed autos that will bolt to the 12R, 18R or 18R-C? I am not adverse to auto, I just really hate three speed autos.

I thank everyone for their advice in advance.
    Last edited by mitsugalant; 13-09-2011 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Poor title
    Current Cars: '67 VC Valiant (Project "Cruise"), '01 Saab 9-5 Aero sedan, '09 Hyundai I30
    Previous: '95 Saab GM900SE turbo, '78 Mitsubishi Galant, '91 Lancer GSR.

I am crap as a Conversion King SilverRA23's Avatar

Default Re: RN40 Hilux Engine & Gearbox advice needed - 1st time Toyota owner

wowsers many questions

18r will be an upgrade over the 12r.. cubic inches increase is always going to help!

the 18r and 18rc are much the same engine, though the c means its the pollution spec, which might make it more legal for your car theoretically, but slightly more asthmatic. i would use what ever engine you have available that is in the best condition.

I understand the 12r and 18r blocks are related so you should have no trouble bolting up your column shift gearbox.

No idea if there is a 4 speed auto that bolts up.

The other option would be to source an 18rg - they can really get up and boogey. Not necessarily huge torque monsters, so perhaps not so good for a farm hack.
    Now - RA23-WRX
    Gone-KE10-KE15-KE35-TA22-AE71-Charade-AE82-MS47-KE15-AE95-MX32
    Need club rego or a CAMS licence in VIC? Join TCCAV www.tccav.org.au

Thanks for your response - it sounds promising re. the gearbox being able to bolt up.
    It isn't so much going to be a farm hack - I am thinking a neat rat rod style, done on a budget that would be nice to cruise in while my VC Valiant is slowly getting done to how I want it.
    Hence why I haven't considered any major swaps engine wise - some are documented and tempting but not fit for current purpose. The torque desire would be more because it suits my driving style - not thrashing the living death out of it if not needed.
    And funnily enough I kind of want to keep the "charm" of it - never drove a column shift manual car before this - always looked like a nightmare to me. But for relaxed driving it seems like fun.
    I especially would like to find out the knowledge needed as far as the 18R-C to the 12R four speed - could be the easiest and best result (especially $$$ wise).
    Keep the advice coming!
    Last edited by mitsugalant; 13-09-2011 at 08:32 AM.
    Current Cars: '67 VC Valiant (Project "Cruise"), '01 Saab 9-5 Aero sedan, '09 Hyundai I30

I've heard of two different types of 12R - from what i've read mine appears to be the "early" type. Can anyone please confirm this for me?

Here is a pic of my current engine at where the gearbox bolts to the engine:

Here is the same area on my spare motor:

My 18R-C is thinner at this end - does it mean I can still use my 4 speed column shift box or do I need to find another?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic scottreichstein's Avatar

ive got a 18r and 4 speed coloum that will be coming out of a rn41 soon i was just gonna kill it but if u want it i wont destroy it
    RIP st141 died doing what it loved http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...type=3&theater
    1ggte hilux massive 143rwkw http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/sho...724&highlight=
    corolla sportivo daily LIFT

personally i would not waste the time fitting an 18R of any version, the 12R was 90hp and the 18R only offered 97hp, unless it was an 18RG and i wasted my time with one of them once.
    ended up using a 320 holley and sleeved down the Venturi to get go down low, as the twin solex carbs where fine for a race track and a death trap in traffic or at lights.
    the easiest donk that can bolt up is the 5R 2000cc out of dyna, coaster and so on, yet personally i would love to see the ability of a little sc12 or sc14 supercharger mounted up to a 12R

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic scottreichstein's Avatar

my 18r still pulled 140km with 3 bikes and 3 guys in with more to go but goin dow the 1g road will be a big improvement
    RIP st141 died doing what it loved http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...type=3&theater
    1ggte hilux massive 143rwkw http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/sho...724&highlight=
    corolla sportivo daily LIFT

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

1g
    1j

1uz

no more needs to be said except the money pit problem
    neil
    2009 aurion
    Purple 2000 Hilux - 1UZ

assembly is just the opposite of disassembly - just you swear in different spots!