Thread: KE70 Drift Project

Forum Member

Default KE70 Drift Project

Firstly Id like to say hello my name is Jason and I'm new to the forum.

Ok So now thats out of the way I can get to the point of my post. For a few years I have been following the progress of many Ke series drift car builds with the interest in doing my own. My local wrecker finally aquired a ok (read pretty bad) taxi yellow automatic KE70. After paying a small fee for the car including delivery I set out stripping the interior. I'm going to be updating this as a build so others can see what I have done and how I did it. I have a few requirements, they are listed as follows.

Do it right but do it with budget in mind - I will be doing all the work myself. I will try not to spend money where I don't need to. I don't really know how to weld or panel beat or paint but I plan to learn how buy doing it on a car I'm not worried about wrecking. I'm doing this build with a friend and we are splitting all of the costs 50%.

Build the car to adhere to cams/scrutineering rules- The car will be a track only car so I can cut costs and it wont need to be street legal.

Here is the proposed parts list (if you notice anything wrong or could be better let me know)

s13 SR20Det Red top Front cut (with front suspension/brakes if I can get a decent deal)
    Nistune of factory ecu or equivalent - This will only be needed when we want more power
    R33 or Z32 RB25Det Manual Gearbox and associated clutch to handle stock SR engine (for now)
    Manual conversion parts needed for change over
    replacement windscreen as the one in car has a hole in it- should I take this on or get it done
    R31 skyline diff with minispool
    Decent drivers seat and applicable harness
    Rollcage - either half or full Recommendations?
    Plexi/lexan windows as the drivers side ones are missing and I don't see any point in getting new ones as I would probably remove them anyway.
    Ba Falcon radiator and clutch fans- I have seen this installed into another car but not sure of ease of fitment.
    Cheap front mount intercooler- Recommendations?
    Will be adding pics very soon
    Thanks for reading.

Jason

Toyota for life REP! Backyard Mechanic TTV8RA23's Avatar

Default Re: KE70 Drift Project

Why would you go to all the trouble of making/buying an adaptor to fit an RB box to SR when S14 turbo gearbox would be all you need? I had a mate running 320kwatw in a silvia and he was far from nice to it and it lasted the life of him having the car no sweat.
    Kiwi back yard mechanic/fabricator/machinist/welder
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...t=tt1uzfe+RA23]

Forum Member

I guess the only reason that I considered the trouble of using an rb box was that a mate kept killing silvia ones. If I can get a half cut with box and suspension then I guess it would make sense to use the silvia one.

is the bestest Conversion King LeeRoy's Avatar

Agreed, don't bother with the RB box (besides, they're pretty expensive from what I recall). My mates got a sprinter with an SR20 in it making about 240rwkw and that thing hasn't busted a box yet and its seen about 20 track days. In a KE70 you'll be frying tyres & clutches etc well before you bust a gearbox.
    Daily Driver: Red Ae93 Project: My TA22 - now with 3s-gte
    D is for Disco, E is for Dancing

dont work in my backyard Domestic Engineer pandaah's Avatar

sr and rb boxes are rubbish, ive replaced many of both with stripped gears and snapped shafts.. if you wanna goto the effort, adapt a vg30 5 speed.. SO much beefier

Toyota for life REP! Backyard Mechanic TTV8RA23's Avatar

Agreed ^^^ If your gonna bother going to the effort! Not a cheap exercise though!
    Cheers
    Simon
    Kiwi back yard mechanic/fabricator/machinist/welder
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...t=tt1uzfe+RA23]