Thread: 4agze top mount vs front mount

Forum Member

Default 4agze top mount vs front mount

Hey
    I'm interested to know the difference people have noticed or actual documented between stock top mount and aftermarket front mount? Anyone have any dyno sheets with the difference?
    Also I would assume the supercharger would have no issues running such setup.

Cheers
    AE92 - 4AGZE

Jack of all trades Automotive Encyclopaedia mattysshop's Avatar

Default Re: 4agze top mount vs front mount

this has been covered LOTS before...

basically short 2" piping is all that is needed if your staying with the stock SC12.. and a small air to air cooler in the front will be all that is needed, nothing huge or fancey.. FF setups usually result in longer piping, and 'can' create slightly more 'lag' but if your intercooler choice, and piping size is good, you should barley notice it..

what you will notice is that in hot summer days, you car won't feel like a 4afe when you take off at the lights as the intercooler is boiling hot...

this was a very old setup of mine (excuse the orange silicone matching, and the very hap hazard engine bay, it was alot cleaner shortly after the initial conversion)...

YouTube GZE in car run

trust me... there was none of this lag BS... sorry for all the dynographers out there who pick on dyno readings with ambiant temps, and ramp rates etc... Motsons are one of the more reputable workshops around back then everyone told me to go there, if anything thier dyno seems a little 'low'..... a 13.96 @ 96mph certainly doesn't feel like 139hp at the wheels!
    Last edited by mattysshop; 05-10-2011 at 07:18 AM.

Non qualified Domestic Engineer

As Mattysshop has said, plus the 4AZE intercoolers have pretty crap flow. Well made 2" plumbing should flow the better part of 300hp and keeping the overall volume (pipe diameter and length plus intercooler size) down will keep throttle response up.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    except for a very few exceptions
    "Don't worry what people think, they don't do it very often."

Daily: Glorified Taxi (F6 Typhoon). Out Of Action: Twin-charged Adub. Ongoing Nightmare: Over re-engineered (not) Alfa Romeo 75.

anti blasphemy ! Carport Converter

i felt a massive difference when i went to fmic. i was running around 14psi so the stock top mount was lacking seriously. i reckon it was probably one of the best mods i did to that car.
    i dont have a funny or cool signature.

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

I just stuck water sprayers on my stock GZE intercooler. I could drop the intake temps from over 70 degrees to around 30 in seconds on a hot day.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Is that similar to a wrx setup? Did you just use the window washer jets? Or rig up something new?

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

I rigged up the pipe to the rear washer jet (My GTZ Levin had a rear washer optioned in) to the bonnet and installed some of those misting windscreen sprayers from Autobarn.

That way, when I sprayed the rear windscreen it actually sprayed the intercooler, and I retained stock functionality on the front windscreen sprayers.

Like this:

Toyota for life REP! Backyard Mechanic TTV8RA23's Avatar

Did a front mount setup on my little brothers KE70. I modified the outlet on the supercharger to point forward and used an intercooler with the in and the out pipe on the same side. Made for very very short intercooler piping and worked very well.
    Regards
    Simon
    Kiwi back yard mechanic/fabricator/machinist/welder
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...t=tt1uzfe+RA23]

Learner / modder / Backyard Mechanic PrettyCoolWagon's Avatar

Clever & simple... I like it.
    I like the idea of modding the sc outlet & having same side in/out pipes on the intercooler to reduce pipe length too.

I rekon a combination of these 2 ideas would work quite well and also allow for the use of a smaller intercooler, which is always useful in a crowded engine bay.

Quote Originally Posted by TERRA Operative View Post
    I rigged up the pipe to the rear washer jet (My GTZ Levin had a rear washer optioned in) to the bonnet and installed some of those misting windscreen sprayers from Autobarn.

That way, when I sprayed the rear windscreen it actually sprayed the intercooler, and I retained stock functionality on the front windscreen sprayers.

Like this:

4AFE/gearbox issues, 4AGT/ZE replacement changes to fully blown 7AGTE project...
    https://www.facebook.com/gerard.mang...1485304&type=3
    The Corolla 4WD fan club: https://www.facebook.com/Corolla.Ae95.4wd?ref=hl