Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: B&M Shifter Fitment - A340

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

Default B&M Shifter Fitment - A340

Hi All,

Just playing with Whatthe's Supra today and when it came to setting up the B&M Pro Rachet we came across a slight problem.

Id previously been warned that the shifter will need to be pushed 1.5 times to go into Park, im cool with that (thanx Phil).

The bit im having a problem with is the bracket/lever that MV supllied has a 43mm centre-centre measurement which gives you 7mm per shift from 1 to R then a 10mm shift to go into Park.

The shifter cable on the other hand moves 9mm per shift, which will cause problems when trying to go thru the gears.

The correct length we calculated to be 55mm centres giving the required 9mm per shift should work but im wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem and what was your solution?

Bear in mind these parts were purchased about 2yrs ago so they may have changed the design since.

Cheers
    Linden
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

jetpilot Automotive Encyclopaedia 1JZ.747's Avatar

Default Re: B&M Shifter Fitment - A340

ring mike at MV, he'll explain it all in about 2 mins
    8.3 et PB 169 MPH PB

i know that adelaide is waaaaay behind the times but i felt it would be rude trying to contact him after hours, i know how over it i am by now.

Cheers
    Linden
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

2JZ POWA Chief Engine Builder GU11TY's Avatar

i can bring my shifter in if u want for u 2 have a look??
    Z20 SOARER WHORE (totalling 14 z20s so far)
    PREVIOUS RIDES - 5 GZ20 soarers, 1 MZ20 soarer, 2 MZ20 aerocabins soarers, 7 MZ21 soarers, 3 ke70s, AE92 rola, 1973 corona, 85 corona, tarago party bus
    CURRENT - 530hp 2jz MZ20 Soarer and race soarer with carbon fibre bonnet and boot and 8point cage

Crazy Chief Engine Builder 1JZ-Rolla's Avatar

Just climbed under my car for a look, the centre to centre measurement is closer to 52mm or so (hard to eye off the vernier tips in the tight space sorry).

I recall Mike sent me a lever originally that he said "might" work with the A340, it was also too short like yours so I made my own (mind you this is the only thing Mike has ever recommended to me that wasn't spot on first time, no fault there)

Just make your own to exactly what you need, but make sure its not simply a flat plate cause it will bind on the casing when you tighten the 8mm nut on the shaft, which i'm sure you've already noticed

Cheers
    Phil
    AE71 Corolla 2 door window van - retired / JZA70 Supra - VVTi converted - sold

ahhh sweet,

yeah i thought it was odd cause he's normally spot on, hence the bottom line in my original post.

ill just make it up at 55mm and see if its correct or which way it needs to go.

ill put up the correct length when i do and take some pics for anybody that needs them.

cheers
    linden

PS Phil, send me a text next time your in sydney and ill drop that cover to you.

Forum Sponsor Carport Converter TurboRA28's Avatar

Hey mate, talking of shifters..
    I'm dropping a 1UZ in a Coaster and need to come up with an automatic shifter using a cable as the linkages arn't going to fit.

Any recommendations on what I should get that will work and uses a cable and fits the Toyota auto box nicely? Factory or aftermarket gear is fine.

Thanks
    Joel
    1977 RA28 Celica - 1MZ-FE Members Rides
    1996 FZJ80 Landcruiser.
    Email : [email protected]

The B&M one work so that is one option, but as mentioned you need to make the lever (on the box) so it has 9mm per shift.

Or you could use a column shift and set it up correctly, either way it's gonna be fidly but id need to look at one to give you a better idea.

cheers
    linden

So I hear MV is where I should get the shifter? Who is MV?
    1996 FZJ80 Landcruiser.

MV Automatics in South Australia (run by Michael Vidau, hence the "MV")

If its just the B&M shifter that you want, you can buy the universal kit including all you need except for the gearbox arm & bracket (which is not available for the Toyota box, only p'glide, C4, TH400 etc etc) from any auto parts supplier, or even online sellers on Ebay if you trust them.

Cheers
    Phil

Thanks mate.. It's normal practice just to make the gearbox arm and bracket yourself?
    1996 FZJ80 Landcruiser.

Hey all, I purchased the a340 gearbox selector arm and bracket from MV.
    It appears like it is designed so the arm actually points downwards to the ground, rather than the original upwards orientation?

This is confusing as i believe that won't work as the shifter will now operate in reverse.

The cable comes out of the front of my shifter, so lets say I move from D to P, that will in tern pull the cable, which down at the box with the selector arm pointing down and the cable coming in from the rear of the box will pull the arm, moving it clockwise.

Looking at the original a340 shifter and linkages, the same movement would turn the selector arm anticlockwise. As the original linkage shifter again, a shift from D to P will pull on the linkages, but as the selector arm points upwards it moves it anticlockwise.

Am I going nuts?
    1996 FZJ80 Landcruiser.

Correct, the lever should point downwards, you are going nuts

[EDIT] whoa, hold on , which shifter did you end up going for? The Pro Ratchet, or something else?

It does sit in the down position and the cable attaches from the back of the box.

it gives you the same shit pattern as now there is no "pivot" in the system like a stock shifter ie pull the "thru the floor" shifter back and it use to push the arm on the box forward.

now when you pull the B&M back it pulls the cable thus requiring the downward facing arm.

cheers
    linden

by the way Joel, wanna post up some pics of the bracket & lever? Keen to see if the design has changed from MV.

Cheers
    Phil