Thread: RA2x with KE70 crossmember / Volvo diff - Wheel offsets and sizes?

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia stidnam's Avatar

Default RA2x with KE70 crossmember / Volvo diff - Wheel offsets and sizes?

Hi,

I'm about to embark on a 5 stud conversion for my RA28 and am going to need new wheels. I've trawled through some ride threads and seen a few examples but thought it'd be good to get some centralised feedback on what wheel offset and sizes people managed to squeeze under their guards without cutting.

At the moment with my KE70 crossmember I wouldn't have thought it was possible to get an 8" wheel under the front guards but 77gze proved that point wrong. It's all about the stretch and pumping it seems.

On the rears I know that 7" + 0 is possible with the volvo diff but now wondering about maximum width. Would something like a 9" + 25 clear the inners for example?

Who has pumped their rear guards and how much did you get out of them?

I'm interested in anyones feedback who has done this conversion or part thereof. What wheel size and offsets are you running?

Cheers

stidnam

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Toy77's Avatar

Default Re: RA2x with KE70 crossmember / Volvo diff - Wheel offsets and sizes?

just as an extra note - i think you will find there is a fair bit more room in the ra28 rear arches than the 23.

I had a set of 9in wide rims wearing 255 that fitted in mine - but steves 23 they hit inside and out.

Cheers
    Stew
    Aerodynamics are for people who can’t build engines. – Enzo Ferrari

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia stidnam's Avatar

Default Re: RA2x with KE70 crossmember / Volvo diff - Wheel offsets and sizes?

So 9" in for the rear seems to be the go. I spoke with Blake and he mentioned that he was running 9's on the rear with a +30 something offset.

I measured my rims to the guard this afternoon and 7" +0 seemed to be about the max without pumping the guards. A 9" with a +30 should be a really nice fit with a stretched tyre.

The fronts with the KE70 crossmember seems to be a problem though . I don't want to settle for anything less than 8". I measured out from my existing rim and without pumping the guards it looks like 7" +25 might be the max with a stretched tyre. I can't seem to find a good size for an 8" wheel that would fit. I think I'll have to pump the fronts. I think I might be running rt132 hubs though which adds a little extra offset.

So has anyone pumped their celica guards? Were you happy with the result? Was it subtle enough not to look stupid?

I've falled in love with these but I don't think I'll have any luck making them fit. Though in looking at the offset again I'd only have to pump the rears by about 15mm to get them under....hmmm

stidnam