Thread: Misfiring Echo

Forum Member

Default Misfiring Echo

hey guys,

i just put a new motor in my echo. it starts ok but when i try to revv it it misfires and it doesnt feel like it is missing on just one cyl more like missing on all 4. it only does it under load like when i open that tap quickly but if i revv it slowly it will rev better but still not great.

it has individual coil packs and there are hairline cracks on the tubes to the plugs. im thinking that it is shorting to the head under load.

wat do u guys think

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: Misfiring Echo

You said you had just put a new motor in, are you sure it was the same type of motor? It's possible you may be running the 1.3L motor on the 1.5L ECU by mistake, or vice versa. Check everything over again, all of your wiring and connections, pipework etc, check you haven't left anything out in the engine swap. Especially if it was a secondhand motor, best to pull the plugs out and check them, test the coilpacks and check out the airflow meter/MAP sensor. Start there and let us know how you go.

Forum Member

right motor put back in, 1.5 1nz-fe, all plugs and connections are connected. brand new plugs. how do you test the coil packs and air flow meter

Junior Member Grease Monkey

If you don't already have a workshop manual, now would be a good time to invest in a Gregory's or something, especially if you're gonna get as serious as doing stuff like engine swaps. They will have the resistances in there, and which pins to put the multimeter across for all the sensors and coils and stuff. Oh, and it's a good idea to check all the sensors too. Don't suppose you've checked if the timing belt has slipped a tooth or two as well?