Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2zzge to AE82 conversion

Forum Member

Default Re: 2zzge to AE82 conversion

Great work, can't wait to see it finished.

Backyard Fabricator Automotive Encyclopaedia

I'm happy with the cold pipe, not so much with the hot pipe... It was a trade off of simplicity, short length and heat v's a cooler path with about 1m of extra tube and 180deg of additional bends

Threw the shafts in today to check how much room is available for the dump pipe, looks like there's plenty of space for a 3" dump to pass between the intermediate shaft and the steering rack. Will be interesting to see how the clearance in an AE92 compares once this one's out of the shed.

Also bracketed the intake pipe to the top gearbox engine mount. Ripped the vibration dampener off the top of the mount and threaded the remaining post with an M6 die. Chopped up some square alloy tube, bit of grinding, linishing, welding and it's all sorted...

have completed a bit more work on this one, it got pushed outside for a couple of months while I worked on some other projects but now I'm looking to get this on the road in the near future.

For the passenger side shaft I've got an AE82 outer cv and shaft section, the inboard section of the shaft was machined on the inner side of the spline where it expands out. Machined from 28.3mm to 25mm diameter just behind the spline. That allowed the tripod joint of a ZZE122R non-abs CV to fit on perfectly, then the ZZE inner CV housing was fitted up.

Drivers side shaft will be more difficult, I've got a ZZT celica complete shaft which I'll look to fit an AE111 levin outer shaft section with an AE82 outboard CV joint/stub.

Added a plumb-back turbosmart BOV to the mix, there was just enough clearance for it all to fit nicely:

Made some later corolla coilovers fit the car, used the standard rubber ae82 pillow mounts:
    $250 delivered coilovers

Made the "Direct Fit" injectors I purchased from Monkeywrench Racing fit... due to the injector location/angle with regard to the head, you can't fit the bosch injectors using a traditional 11mm top adapter. MWR supplied them with an adapter on the outlet of the injector and a denso-style seat pushed onto that. It didn't really fit all that well and it also made the injector too long overall.

So I machined down the injector adapters to 7.5mm diameter, then machined up a 9.7mm sleeve with a base 2.5mm high, those were stuck onto the machined injector adapters with Toyota FIPG. The injectors will fit nicely now:

Went to proactively replace the lift bolts as they're a known problem area, the found the intake-side bolt had already snapped... Made up a drill guide from an M6 bolt and had to buy some decent easy-outs to get the broken part out:

"Lift Bolts", Left - New, Middle - Old/Worn, Right - Snapped....

M6 bolt modded to be a drill guide:

Broken section:

Got the heater lines done, a bit of stuffing around as the original 2zz heater ports are 19mm diameter, the ae82 heater core is 17mm dia. Took the opportunity to get setup for the turbo waterlines also... for the hardline that comes from the thermostat housng, I welded a 17mm bend into the hardline to point under the turbo intake pipe, then welded a -6AN fitting to the pipe for the cold-side of the turbo coolant feed.

For the other line, I machined up a 17<19mm adapter and welded another -6AN fitting to that for the turbo coolant outlet.

On the actual turbo, I removed one of the lower welsh-plugs in the core and tapped the remaining hole to 16x1.5mm thread. Then modified the waterline banjo tube that was supplied with the turbo to accept a 16mm banjo bolt at one end, welded a -6AN fitting to the other end. The turbo was supplied with both upper water jacket holes tapped, both the lower holes were plugged... That isn't great for allowing the turbo to be cooled correctly once the engines switched off. Now it has one lower hole for the coolant inlet, and one of the upper holes for the outlet.

Added a tab to the top of the cooler core for the bonnet latch:

Got a HKS thermostatic oil cooler sandwich plate instead of the Mocal one I'd purchased previously. The Mocal one was too big to fit in the space available for the 2zz filter:

Also sorted the powersteering setup, fitted the ZZE123 resivour to a custom bracket, shortened the ZZE feed line to the pump slightly and modified the ZZE hardline coming out of the pump with a -6 AN fitting. Did the same to the hardline coming out of the rack, used some -6 200 series teflon lines and fittings to finish the pressure side of the plumbing... pretty simple only requiring 1x 45deg fitting and one straight fitting. The return side will be run through a small cooler at the front of the car then back to the resivour.

I used some factory ZZE corolla heat sleeve from the original 2zz powersteer line to shield it:

Got the turbo oil drain sorted, finished the filter to rail fuel line and made a proper start on the dump pipe.

hardline to -10 oil drain from turbo:

dump pipe started:

Oil drain in place and the start of the dump, I put some toyota FIPG on the sump to tube weld instead of painting the whole thing:

New fuel filter location and lines:

Just waiting on some mufflers and a few other bits to arrive for it now then some more fabrication will be done..

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

I've said this before Jason - you have too much spare time and too many spare monies.

.... but i like where you've gone with this project. I remember first talking to you about this some 3-4 years ago or more.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

dump, wastegate and front section of exhaust were sorted today.

Welded up the dump:

Took to the manifold with a holesaw:

Sorted out the gate pipe:

Blended the return to the dump:

Will finish welding the gate return tomorrow now I've confirmed it's possible to install the lot as-is

more done today, ported and sandblasted the manifold, tweaked the gate pipe on the dump a little, checked the fitment of the exhaust center section, milled the side of the HKS thermostatic oil plate and made the oil feed hardline.

Tons of space for the gate:

Exhaust mid section:

Flex is nice and high:

Just enough clearance to the subframe:

-4 turbo oil feed hardline:

HKS oil plate with 12mm to -4 banjo mounted:

exhaust is fully welded now, just have to add the tip after I do the cutout in the rear bumper.

Re-used the stock mid & front hangers with some added gussets

Village Idiot Automotive Encyclopaedia

lovely work - good attention to detail and much thought gone into this piece of work.
    especially liked your guide for the ezy out - good thinking there.

I was glad that easyout worked, really didn't want to pull the cams etc out.

Sorted out the oil cooler today, made two brackets, one mounted to the side of the front engine mount bracket and another with a couple of stays to one of the bosses in the gearbox casing.

Still have to add clamps to the lines and make an alloy duct that will feed from the base of the bumper. Also fitted a new waterpump and AC compressor.

Finally got the car running, fired right up after getting the trigger offset correct and idle duty sorted. For some reason the audio from the video recording of my phone is completely screwed up, in real life it's buttery smooth and exhaust is quiet but deep.

Need to tweak the acceleration enrichment to get the throttle response right but happy with it for the moment. Bay looks a bit messy as I've got the timing light setup in there and a few random temporary vac hoses and power cables.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8AsSOIyuHA

More little work has been completed, now it's time to start on the bodywork ready to register the car.

Wired in all the speedhut gauge sensor/senders, made an overflow tank for the radiator, had a hell of a time burping the cooling system, wired in an alarm and installed central locking, relocated the battery, wired in thermofan relays, etc etc.

One of the cool things I've recently finished is the gauge cluster. I'm using a set of Speedhut gauges from the US, so had a 3mm sheet of steel cut to fit into the original AE82 cluster housing.
    I then made up LED housings for the warning lights, indicators and high beam light, recessed the plate in those sections by 2mm to accept the cut down acrylics from the original cluster and made some mounts to hold it all together. Also machined up some posts to weld to the rear of the faceplate so it could be bolted into the rear white plastic section of the original cluster after that was gutted with the die grinder.

pics:

And a newer video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytbXu...layer_embedded

a lot of work has been competed now, have almost finished the bare metal respray. Have some time off work next week so I'm planning to have it ready for the dyno shortly. Pics of recent progress: