Thread: MA70 1uzfe conversion

Junior Member Grease Monkey ra28_miles's Avatar

Default MA70 1uzfe conversion

hey guys,

i'm currently looking into which engine conversion i should go for my mk3. The obvious bet would be either a 1 or 2j but i'm interested what i could get from a supercharged 1uz.....

can anyone help me out and tell me how much work is involved in doing this conversion? and is there a bolt on engine mount kit out there?

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Default Re: MA70 1uzfe conversion

In short, lots.
    Lots more work involved compared to any other A70 conversion.

There is plenty of information on Toymods regarding this conversion. I've done one myself.

Start here
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=13123
    but please take into account that thread is almost 5 years old, and as such may not be entirely 100% accurate with its information.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

having seen 1UZ into MA70, there's not a lot of room (e.g. bugger-all) left in the bay. A supercharger is unlikely to fit under the standard bonnet.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

I was going to say if you were staying auto and factory NA, and got the right sump/auto box configuration from the start, It's basically bolt in with a pair of engine mounts and normal conversion wiring. Few clearance issues but mine went in quite easily.

Once you start modifying though you really hit the wall with clearances in most directions limiting what you can do. Not impossible to work around but considering the ease of big single 1 or 2J the UZ starts loosing out.

How's the price of taxi motors now days? Early LS would be the go

Post Re: MA70 1uzfe conversion

Quote Originally Posted by CrUZida View Post
    In short, lots.
    Lots more work involved compared to any other A70 conversion.

There is plenty of information on Toymods regarding this conversion. I've done one myself.

Start here
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=13123
    but please take into account that thread is almost 5 years old, and as such may not be entirely 100% accurate with its information.
    yeah mate i've read the thread before posting... plenty of bitching going on there lol and hardly any real conversion tech.

i've seen one on youtube it didn't look too cramped to me but he did mount it further back to the firewall and it wasn't supercharged.

i've also researched the named links and saw the prices on parts both us and nz.

is there any real worry with cooling pipes and the mech drive speedo to the digi dash? i read somewhere that there's an adapter/computer that changes the mech drive so the digi dash can read it. any truth in that???

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic slipway's Avatar

may be of no help but,
    z20's run an electric sender on the gearbox, i remember reading that supra digi dash's run a cable into the back of the cluster and its converted there.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

It depends on wether you like the sound of a V8 or do you want some descent power from a stock motor set ups, if you are after power go 1JZ route & you wont look back, but as you said if you super charge a 1uz then its different, but as has been said its not a good value for money combination ..

I have a 1uz in my Mazda its good but no 1jz though, but i would not have been able to fit a 1jz in comfortably though ..

Junior Member Carport Converter RA35GT's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slipway View Post
    may be of no help but,
    z20's run an electric sender on the gearbox, i remember reading that supra digi dash's run a cable into the back of the cluster and its converted there.
    This is true.

The cable runs from gearbox up to the speed sensor mounted behind the gauges. This then sends an electrical pulse to the dash itself. If you use a toyota box, you shouldnt have to do anything tricky here.
    1977 RA35 Celica GT - I4 | 2007 GSV40R Aurion - V6
    Don't live life being scared of death, live in the fear of not truly living. RP 2012

so if i was to keep the r154 i wouldn't need to do this???

yeah the $$$ for doing work on a 1uz is harsh in comparison to a 2 or 1j... but if i were to do it i will i have clearance issues with a m90??? from what i've seen thats the only real way and cheapest way of getting more power of of them.

plus a decent exhaust.... i would've thought toyota could've done a better job there. bloody horrible.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

If your car has the cable driven speed sensor up behind the dash for the electronic dash then as you said you will have no worries with a manual box ..

The Super charger from Bullet Cars from memory keeps the overall height pretty much the same as the stock intake manifold plenum, the trouble is the Drive Snout which obviously protruds a fair way out the front, which i would think is going to be your major problem for bonnet clearance, i would personally look at running turbo's or a side mount centrifical Super charger ..

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

You might struggle to get a decent set of headers in there for a super charger.

Few photos here but haven't updated in a while:
    http://www.supraforums.com.au/forum/...1-Matt-s-UZA70

Junior Member Carport Converter RA35GT's Avatar

Alex, your welcome to check mine out if you want. (Alternatively come to the drags tonight!)
    1977 RA35 Celica GT - I4 | 2007 GSV40R Aurion - V6
    Don't live life being scared of death, live in the fear of not truly living. RP 2012

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic slipway's Avatar

i got some mount from the us but they havent turned up yet but if they do ill let you know if there anygood.

also i would suggest going m112 if going to bother with a blower also my cost a little bit more but the the results are great.

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by slipway View Post
    i got some mount from the us but they havent turned up yet but if they do ill let you know if there anygood.

also i would suggest going m112 if going to bother with a blower also my cost a little bit more but the the results are great.
    Hi mate how did the mounts go ?