Thread: C52 / C56 Swap: Mounting AE111 Driveshaft Bearing Bracket onto Bigport Block

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default C52 / C56 Swap: Mounting AE111 Driveshaft Bearing Bracket onto Bigport Block

On inserting the RHS shaft into the C56 / LSD box, I noticed that my Bigport Block did not have a hole threaded for the upper hole of the Driveshaft support Bearing Bracket; so I just fastened it via the two (M10 / M8) threaded holes on the bottom edge of the Block.

I know I'm not the first to have come accross this; is this safe L/T; especially if the car is run hard / raced?

PS: The Hub side of the Bracket does not sit flush with the mounting surface on the Block so the bolt is basically trying to twist the bracket when tightened (@ per the A/C Bracket) - what's the go with this layout?? Seems wierd to me.

Default Re: C52 / C56 Swap: Mounting AE111 Driveshaft Bearing Bracket onto Bigport Block

Hmmm. . . so I guess I'm the only guy out there who's stuffed an LSD C56 into an AE92???

Anyway, just to be on the safe side I'd like to drill & tap this hole; thing is I can't get my (285mm long) Bosch into area between block & firewall.

I'd rather not go & spend $300+ on a Cordless drill with dia 10mm (Steel) capacity just for one damn hole - any suggestions as to how I might get around this most welcome. .

dont work in my backyard Domestic Engineer pandaah's Avatar

Default Re: C52 / C56 Swap: Mounting AE111 Driveshaft Bearing Bracket onto Bigport Block

i highly doubt its gunna come loose or give you drama with only 2 bolts.. i cant answer for the big port block so i dunno why the hole isnt there.. is there a space to actually drill/tap a thread there?..

I doubt it as well; but I want to Track the thing occassionally and would rather not have the question in my mind. . .

Yeah, there's heaps of meat there - Bracket hole centres on a raised boss sitting on a 25mm high rib - I only need to tap about 15mm of thread so max hole depth ~ 18mm.

Coates Hire do Cordless drills @ $25/4 hrs that should fit the bill; all I need to do know is find a short M10 drill bit. . .

dont find a short one, chop a long one haha

All done. Ended up buying a 90Deg attachment for my drill @ Total Tools; didn't even know those things existed. Quite chuffed actually I can see myself using that sucker quite a bit.

ahh yeah shit i totally forgot about the 90deg attachment.. good thinking with that one!