Thread: Axle/Diff info T-series

Nice..... Grease Monkey Rex_Kelway's Avatar

Default Axle/Diff info T-series

Jerks and Jerk-ettes,

Rex's been searching this blasted web thing for a few days trying to hunt down the widest possible early-spline T-Series diff/rear-axle.

There are number of supposed info-tables or PDF's but they all seem to be dead links.

Does anyone have a copy of one of these they'd be prepared to send or host?

OR of someone is happy enough to post any T-Series widths and their respective cars of origin?..

Mounts unimportant...
    Rex Kelway Sucks - Fabrication thread

Rex Kelway - ABN: 41 267 379 001
    Fabrication, Manifolds and CAMS spec Roll-cages in SA...

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: Axle/Diff info T-series

i posted this in my thread rex when i was doing my head in with the differences with the early and late T series diff housing used in the 70's celica;

Regarding the diff, i did notice the 62mm bearing diff housing (earlier used in early TA22's) was 1224mm from housing to housing (no drums installed) and the later diff (RA23/28 and all the 80's model cars that used the T292 code on the build plate) was about 1332mm so there is a small difference there in length and maybe enough to root me with the wheel i have bought - arrg! I'll see...
    hope this helps. there is a way of identifying the difference of the diffs from the outside without having to measure the bearing size. Let me know if you'd like assistance there too

anti blasphemy ! Carport Converter

Axle List

fellow toymodder.
    i dont have a funny or cool signature.

Nice..... Grease Monkey Rex_Kelway's Avatar

Excellent! Thankyou very much...
    Rex Kelway Sucks - Fabrication thread

Rex Kelway - ABN: 41 267 379 001
    Fabrication, Manifolds and CAMS spec Roll-cages in SA...

Junior Member Grease Monkey

fixeruperer, I'm sure the width listed for the D292 diff is wrong in that listing. The width of the Dxxx is not the same as the Txxx.

My Celica had a plate stamped with D082 (D - 6.62", O8 - 4.11, 2 - 2 pinion) and the width of that diff is 1224mm from either end of the housing, which worked out to be about 8mm shorter than the Txxx diff housings from late model TA22 and upto RA28.

Also the other main difference to designate the D is the diameter of the axles at the axle bearing end of the housing. The D used 62mm bearings where the T diffs used 72mm bearings with larger diameter axles at the bearing side. Both diffs used 23 splined axles at the centre though and the diff centres were exactly the same size and can interchange centres with any T series including later model T series diff centres (which shared 23 splined centres diffs - like early sprinter diffs).

I've just gone through all this recently with my diff-disc brake upgrade and it seems to not be commonly known so i'm trying to share the information. Since this is a suited thread, i'll post up pictures of the outside of the housings to identify the difference between the D and T so you know what your looking for.

Apparently the later model RA28 T series diffs had built in baffles from the factory but i'm yet to see one.