Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone had issues with Genuine Toyota Oil Filters Lately? - 2TG

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Has anyone had issues with Genuine Toyota Oil Filters Lately? - 2TG

i bought a genuine Toyota oil filter for a 2T(B/C/G) but it didn't seem to hold the pressure as when i started the engine stone cold, it'll make a racket of noise for a second (like when using a shitty oil filter with a poor valve in the filter, back in the day).

I was very surprised as it was genuine from toyota. Has anyone else experienced this lately with the genuine oil filters? I'm a bit relucant to use one now and i just dropped the oil so need a replacement.

The filter they gave me was actually the smaller 7MGTE and 2JZGTE one as they stopped making the orginal sized ones but thats been the case for years now...

busy adding lightness Too Much Toyota MR22ZZ's Avatar

Default Re: Has anyone had issues with Genuine Toyota Oil Filters Lately? - 2TG

what is the filter part number?

90915-yzze2 would have been the one I would have assumed fit being the 4AGE and 2ZZGE filter.
    Past Toyotas - Snow White (TA23), Blue Stivo (ZZE123)
    Current Toyotas - Hamster (AW11)
    Quote Originally Posted by X kyle X View Post
    the aw11 is rougher and more angular so it's sex Appel is more that of Sylvester stalone rather then brad pitt

C2H5OH Powered Automotive Encyclopaedia George's Avatar

Try the 90915-20004. Genuine Toyota filter for 1UZ engines - big one with good valve. As it fits the JZ series it is likely to bolt on your engine as well.
    USSR GAZ24 with 1UZ-FE VVTi (UCV24) http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=60301
    Engine conversion is when you drive a shitbox which costs a whole LEXUS to own

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

I use TRD oil filters on my 4AGZE because I' m a brand whore, and have never had a problem.
    I buy enough stuff from the local place that they give me trade discount, and have never had a faulty part in the 3 years or so I' ve been sinking money into my Toyotas.

Quote Originally Posted by MR22ZZ View Post
    what is the filter part number?

90915-yzze2 would have been the one I would have assumed fit being the 4AGE and 2ZZGE filter.
    No idea on the part number as that filter is long gone now. When the engine tuner dropped the oil he replaced it with a nissan genuine part filter (he said it was an RB25 filter) and that valve held the pressure prefectly the entire time i had the car. He aslo said the Nissan filters are still made in Japan and have always been good to him. I couldn't bring myself to buy a nissan part though. lol

When i rang toyota yesterday to ask if others complained about their filters lately, they (of course) said no, but to his credit they wouldn't know either way. I asked where they are made and he couldn't really tell me but when i suggested whether toyota would simply find a supplier who'd give them the best $$$ deal and he said definately yes. I took his comments with a pinch of salt.

I went to my local parts store and picked up a Ryco Z68 filter (120mm high) and ran it last night fine. Just test started it this morning and it held the pressure fine too. I'm not excited about using the ryco, but as long as the valve holds up, and i change the oil every six months i should think it'll be fine - what do you guys think?

Ryco had a problem when they changed production factories in china (cost cutting) where the body of the filter wasn't crimped correctly to the base, causing a slow weeping leak.
    They have rectified the problem now according to them, but just keep an eye on the filter to make sure you didn't get the remnants of that bad batch.

Or use K&N, I've never had a problem with them and the pressed steel nut on the end is awesome for removing the filter in tight spaces.

Thanks for the heads up TERRA Operative, i'll keep an eye out for any leaks. Also i'll see who my local K&N filter dealer is too.

So by the sounds of it, no one else has had issues with the genuine toyota oil filters lately so i must have had a faulty one. On the next oil change i'll re-assess the brands again keeping toyota high on the list with K&N tucked in tight underneath on the list.

Autobarn sell K&N, price is on par with TRD etc.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Take a look at that old filter's drain-back valve & see if it's misaligned or standing off from its inlet holes. Just poke each one a bit to see if it's pushing against the hole & seems to be seating firmly & covering the hole completely.
    'I've scrapped better.' John stated when asked about the car by the guy with the silver tipped cowboy boots!

Junior Member Conversion King TheStitt's Avatar

I noticed on my last genuine 1UZ filter it said made in Taiwan on the package.

As you did I ask my toyota Dealer and of course he said it was made to the standards that Toyota set.
    ST177 UZS131 Crown Royal 'G' the pimping limo like daily 1UZFE 144rwkw

DST17T MS53 68 Crown Custom Wagon 7MGTE 266rwkw

Quote Originally Posted by allencr View Post
    Take a look at that old filter's drain-back valve & see if it's misaligned or standing off from its inlet holes. Just poke each one a bit to see if it's pushing against the hole & seems to be seating firmly & covering the hole completely.
    I'd like to but that filter was replaced a few months ago from when i took the car to the dyno tuner for its engine/ecu re-map.

Administrator Backyard Mechanic

[QUOTE=TERRA Operative;1338801]Ryco had a problem when they changed production factories in china (cost cutting) where the body of the filter wasn't crimped correctly to the base, causing a slow weeping leak.
    They have rectified the problem now according to them, but just keep an eye on the filter to make sure you didn't get the remnants of that bad batch.
    QUOTE]

I got one of those filters on my car, and to be honest the leak was that minimal over 6 months it was probably 100ml of oil lost. Worth keeping an eye on though.

Ryco filters are good enough, I've had an issue with ac delco and low oil pressure on startup, to the point where the oil pressure light would stay on for a second then turn off.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic J-M kujala's Avatar

2TG made always noise when upper camshaft chain is not adjusted correct (to much play) and there is low or no oil pressure. thats most important maintenance in 2TG , adjust the upper chain tensioner free play.

also oil pumps in 2TG are basicly to weak.

when i got years a go 2TG with stock pump, it was sometimes long time noisy, depends oil filters etc... but with better pump (18R innerparts or 18RG) that never happen.

with really stiff oil (maybe to stiff), good stock oil pump and good aftermarket oilpumps, they are quiet. but everything had to be 10+ and the biggest noise com from chain... and adjusting free play to smaller, take noise down.

sometimes those original oil circulation stopper plugs for original 2T cam bearing place have start to leak. they are rubber and after 40 years they start to be weak and hard . they also may start to move away from their place and leak oil, or just leak oil. i have always throw them away and use 2T cam bearings what have installed like 10 minit forward at clockwise to block oil holes. have seen couple of issues like that.
    - Celica TA-22 -74 2T-G Turbo
    - IQ 1.0 -09
    - Lexus IS250 -06

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

hks7mgt, oil viscosity being too low for an older engine will also show up as death rattle on first start up. The current Toyota filters all seem to be made in Thailand, to "Toyota specs". Do people still observe the practice of filling the oil filter with oil before fitment?

cheers Chuck.
    "What man can build, man can fix!"
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!

Z-UTE - definately topped up the oil filter pre-installation - just that filter didn't hold pressure with the anti-drain valve