Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ra28 Centered Fuel Tank for Dual Exhaust

Forum Member

Default Ra28 Centered Fuel Tank for Dual Exhaust

i have not seen it done, but i am in the planning/part gathering stages for a 1uz build and wondering if anybody has changed their tank for one that is centered. The main reason i would like to do this is because i want to run dual exhaust out each side. I am willing to change the trunk floor either slimming or eliminating the spare tire holder. It just does not look like exhaust would fit under the stock tank.

I am aware its lots of work but its a detail i just cant live without... Here in north america single exhaust and performance dont go together... I am trying to go for a muscle car camaro/mustang type vibe well still respecting toyota with this build.

Forum Member

Default Re: Ra28 Centered Fuel Tank for Dual Exhaust

Junior Member Grease Monkey

I think the main obstacle you will face is the shape of the standard tank doesn't allow for it to move sideways as the chassis rail of the vehicle will be in the way on the lhs of the car.

I'm sure it could be done but a custom tank will probably be the easiest way to do it.

Aaron

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

I think Aaron is right there, you will need a custom tank to go with your custom floorpan. There is a section on the RHS where the charcoal canister tube goes through the floor which will need to be cut and shut to a flat level more than likely. This is a general rust spot anyway, so more than likely you will need to be butchering it regardless.

Another option (depending on your local laws) would be to dump the exhausts in front of the rear wheels. This will greatly reduce the amount of restriction in the exhaust system and improve performace further. In Aus, this is illegal as there is an opening to the cabin (hatch) rearward of the back wheels, however North America isn't Australia. Personaly I reckon side dumping pipes look freakin awesome and would have them if it wouldn't end up with my car being confiscated...

Good luck mate.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Toy77's Avatar

Hey Owen,

It's not illegal in NSW to dump the exhaust in front of the drivers side wheel on a 28. The terminology goes something like 'behind the last opening passenger doors and windows'. As the rear window on a 28 doesn't wind down, that is ok. and the hatch isnt classed as a passenger door.
    Mine was engineered under these regulations about 4 years ago - which may have changed again since. Before this there was rule about how far past the last door or window it had to exit, which prevented it being legal, but they removed the distance requirement a few years back now.

As for exiting on the passenger side, i think it had to be an earlier year model for that to be legal (other wise i would have had them exit out both sides instead of just the drivers.)

Cheers
    Stew
    Aerodynamics are for people who can’t build engines. – Enzo Ferrari

Hmm... I think my RA28 is registered as a 3 door with QLD transport - may have to check that, as a side dump pipe would be teh awesomes (despite having to cross the trans tunnel)
    Cheers, Owen
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

My exhaust has to cross the trans tunnel as the exhaust is on the drivers side in my 28. It's not that bad its a 3 inch pipe with cat convertor and flex joint and the car is quite low (tyre-guard clearance) and the lowest point of the exhaust still sits at 125mm at the lowest point. I crossed mine just behind the back of the gearbox where the tailshaft front uni is.

Yeah, that would be a good place to cross. I am thinking that with the RA28, lowering it onto a decent sized exhaust could cause an uneasy feeling of exhaust and diff meeting... may not be an issue though, will have to dummy everything up. Going to check the regs - side pipe would be teh awesomes (though it would mean welding a plate onto the beaver panel to cover the oem exhaust cutout - after I have finished the bodywork )
    Cheers, Owen

Forum Member

I am also looking into this conversion and have started to plan a method of attack so to speak, and have been wondering which way to go with an exhaust. I was reading that you can also put a side exhaust out the passenger side if it is pre a certain year from memory. However I think I may look at running twin pipes dumping over the diff and filling in the exhaust hole in the rear bar as Rod (TheToyman75) has done with his 28.

From the QLD guideline to light vehicle modifications:

The exhaust outlet must extend at least 40mm beyond
    the furthermost outboard or rearmost joint of the floor
    pan that is not continuously welded or permanently
    sealed which could permit direct access of exhaust
    gases to the passenger compartment, but not beyond
    the perimeter of the vehicle when viewed in plan.

Despite my previous thoughts, it doesn't appear to say anything about doors or openings - just floorpan!! So if it exits on the driver's side, and hangs out to the edge of the sill as viewed in plan, that should cover 40mm from the rocker sill join!! How awesome!!
    Cheers, Owen

I would double check that with Qld transport first though and ring the Inpectors directly if you want a proper answer. My belief of the rule for qld is that the hatch is considered a part of the passenger compartment that isn't sealed by weld and is at the end of the floorpan and therefore it needs to extend 40mm behind the hatch, technically.

I am happy to be wrong but road worthy wise I was under the belief that the only thing that can dump exhaust out the side is heavy vehicle (truck/bus etc) and they must be put out only one side of the vehicle (can't remember which side don't have book with me) and utes as there cabin ends behind the drivers door and they are sealed at that point. I am sure there may be other exceptions but they are the main ones.

o_man_ra23 : If you want photos of where my exhaust goes, over the diff etc and how it sits, I can take photos for you next time I have it on the hoist at work. It is pretty close over the diff, but it is 3" mandrel all the way and it doesn't seem to hit that I can tell.

Cheers Aaron.

Forum Member

Here is a link to the NCoP rules, not sure how much they vary in QLD. http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...jan2011_v3.pdf
    According to 2.7 - The outlet of an exhaust system must be rearwards of any passenger side entry door or opening
    window. If any part of the exhaust system, including the outlet pipe, extends beyond the profile of
    the body (other than on the underside), it must be shielded. Exhaust outlets must also meet the
    requirements of ADR 42/… where applicable. Vehicles manufactured after June 1988 must not
    have the exhaust exiting to the left of the vehicle.

So according to this, depending on what states this is applicable in, you could run exhausts out either side of the car, would be pretty sweet with 1UZ.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Not sure if you want to or how legal it is in British Columbia, but you could put a inboard / race fuel cell in the boot area & take out the standard tank & seal up the floor area where the tank was ..

Quote Originally Posted by hugsta View Post
    Here is a link to the NCoP rules, not sure how much they vary in QLD. http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...jan2011_v3.pdf
    According to 2.7 - The outlet of an exhaust system must be rearwards of any passenger side entry door or opening
    window. If any part of the exhaust system, including the outlet pipe, extends beyond the profile of
    the body (other than on the underside), it must be shielded. Exhaust outlets must also meet the
    requirements of ADR 42/… where applicable. Vehicles manufactured after June 1988 must not
    have the exhaust exiting to the left of the vehicle.

So according to this, depending on what states this is applicable in, you could run exhausts out either side of the car, would be pretty sweet with 1UZ.
    That sounds even better... now to work out how to cram a Magnaflow muffler and hi flow cat between the dump pipe and the rear left wheel

Going to talk to a mate and see if he has got the approval to be an approved person yet (has applied and should get it - he has the quals and experience)... or better still, maybe I should start doing a heap more homework into the ADRs and approved person handbook and get the ticket for myself...
    Cheers, Owen

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Yeah, you'll need to cut the floor out, and get a custom tank made up.

Do it in this order.
    • Cut the floor out
    • Give car to exhaust shop and get exhaust built (assuming you aren't doing it yourself)
    • Give car to tank fabricators and get tank built around exhausts

Last edited by CrUZida; 17-06-2011 at 10:38 AM.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS