Thread: 1980 2WD Hilux Disc Brake Conversion - Will 1990 2WD Hilux Brakes Fit?

Forum Member

Question 1980 2WD Hilux Disc Brake Conversion - Will 1990 2WD Hilux Brakes Fit?

I am needing to do a front disc brake conversion on my 1980 (RN41, but has drums front and rear) 2WD hilux.

I have been quoted $350 per side from a wrecker for the front set-up complete (stub axles and full brake set up) off a 1983 2WD hilux. However, I feel that this is rather expensive, so I have looked around and found the following:

- 1990 2WD Hilux (22R in it) wrecking - Stub axles and full brake set-up for $150 total.

- 1984 4WD Hilux wrecking - Stub axles and full brake set-up for $400 total.

My question is, not knowing much about this side of things, is which option would be the best?

Will the 1990 model brakes fit?

Or is there another vehicle which I could get the required parts from? (older model hilux parts seem to be far and few between here in WA).

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic scottreichstein's Avatar

Default Re: 1980 2WD Hilux Disc Brake Conversion - Will 1990 2WD Hilux Brakes Fit?

hey as far as i know the newer models have a different ball joint config i have dont the conversion from an 81 sr5 to a rn41 and all good i have a spare set of discs and booster i would sell for maby $300 plus freight it would be worth replacing the ball joints while you have them off too thats what i did