Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IS200 Altezza Type 2 Torson LSD into MA61 IRS F series?

Kamber King Conversion King Negative Boost's Avatar

Default IS200 Altezza Type 2 Torson LSD into MA61 IRS F series?

1JZ-Rolla
    1998 IS200 Altezza has independent rear suspension and a type 2 Torsen LSD.... thats not so wierd....... but it fits DIRECTLY into a live axle F series centre with no mods!!! Even the slightly wider carrier bearings can be used
    If an Altezza LSD can fit into a live axle F series centre, what would be the likely hood of it fitting into an MA61 IRS F series centre?

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: IS200 Altezza Type 2 Torson LSD into MA61 IRS F series?

yeah its F series ,but why put in a torsen when you can put in a trd unit instead

Boobs!!! Automotive Encyclopaedia Stefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celica RA45
    yeah its F series ,but why put in a torsen when you can put in a trd unit instead
    That's a rather useless and unhelpful comment. Tell us why a clutch centre would be favourable over a torsen one in every application

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

There was some discussion about this recently on the CelicaSupra forums. The conclusion was the Altezza stuff will fit in an MA61 housing, but it costs a lot more than the well known TrueTrac route.

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan
    That's a rather useless and unhelpful comment. Tell us why a clutch centre would be favourable over a torsen one in every application
    Go around a corner with a Torsen LSD at speed. Lift a wheel. Sorry, where did that LSD go? Not great if you are punting around a corner at great speed and the car doesn't behave as predicted.

Clutch unit provides LSD function at all times. If people are planning on doing trackwork, clutch pack LSD wins everytime.

The only advantage of a Torsen centre I can fathom is that being a box full of gears rather than friction plates, the LSD function does not reduce over time, ie no need to reshim or replace the friction plates.

To answer the question, yes it fits but there's a bit of stuffing around.
    Last edited by gianttomato; 05-12-2005 at 09:52 AM.

Boobs!!! Automotive Encyclopaedia Stefan's Avatar

I wasn't saying that clutch LSDs don't have advantages over torsen ones, just that the overaching "why put in a torsen when you can put in a trd unit instead" (i.e., clutch lsd is always > than torsen lsd in every respect ) wasn't valid. Horses for courses.

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gianttomato
    Go around a corner with a Torsen LSD at speed. Lift a wheel. Sorry, where did that LSD go? Not great if you are punting around a corner at great speed and the car doesn't behave as predicted.
    This raises the point of what are you doing to lift a wheel off the deck? Considering the IRS, not many if any of the MA61 owners I know would be able to lift a rear wheel off the deck around a corner. The only time I see it possibly happening is smacking a ripple strip hard, but that's going to upset everything.

Under everything else I've always found my Torsen to be nice and progressive and predictable.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan
    Tell us why a clutch centre would be favourable over a torsen one in every application
    Sounds like a universal condemnation to me.

Sounds like a universal condemnation to me.
    No, that sounds like a sarcastic "no really, why is so much better in every situation when we all know it's not".

Neither is better in every situation, they're just different.

Quote Originally Posted by JustCallMeFrank
    The only time I see it possibly happening is smacking a ripple strip
    Happens a bit on the track. So why add the unpredictability of the LSD to your woes?

Tried taking a tight corner at (serious) speed? Inside rear may lift at initial turn in and remain airborne just as you want to punch out of the corner. With a Torsen, you'll get a big fat zero.

TRD make a clutch pack replacement for the Torsen centre. Gives you an idea what they think of them....

Torsens are OK for a road car. Anything else, they're a waste of time.

and just wait for that lifted wheel to make touchdown again - and see what the diff thinks then... *ugghhh*
    ../delete/ban
    tech moderator
    E46 M3 Nürburgring Nordschleife - 8.38

Happens a bit on the track. So why add the unpredictability of the LSD to your woes?
    Point taken, most people in their road cars on a track (which is what he's asking about this for) will try to avoid smacking into them though

Tried taking a tight corner at (serious) speed? Inside rear may lift at initial turn in and remain airborne just as you want to punch out of the corner. With a Torsen, you'll get a big fat zero.
    Yeah I have, it's got enough squat and compliance in the IRS that is just sticks, then understeers. My suspension would have to be a shitload stiffer than it is to be able to pick up a rear. And yeah, 5 (or whatever the multiplier ratio is for your diff) times 0 is still 0, I'm with ya.

TRD make a clutch pack replacement for the Torsen centre. Gives you an idea what they think of them....
    If used on a race track constantly, I probably would want a clutch LSD, but I don't have a track car, I have a road car. That, and in big power applications, some of the Toyota Torsens have problems with blowing themselves up. I've seen more than one JZA70 centre on these forums in that condition.

Torsens are OK for a road car. Anything else, they're a waste of time.
    I recall a conversation with you when I was first thinking about getting a Torsen. One point noted was how interesting a clutch-pack LSD can be in the wet I'm not saying one is better than the other, I'm just saying that for a road car, even one that will occasionally see a track, particularly an IRS-equipped car like an MA61, a Torsen LSD makes a lot of sense, which is the reason I chose it.

And lets face it, a few of you excluded, the majority of cars here ARE road cars.

Quote Originally Posted by ed_ma61
    and just wait for that lifted wheel to make touchdown again - and see what the diff thinks then... *ugghhh*
    BAAAAMMMMM!!!! We've all seen the box full of very broken gears from the JZA70 boys who have gone drag racing.

But we digress. If you want a Torsen, have no need for an clutch style LSD and can get an IS200 centre for not much, then yes it will fit. Last I heard they went for about $6-700. No idea what a TrueTrac goes for, but a TRD LSD centre will go for about $11-1300.

Kamber King Conversion King Negative Boost's Avatar

Yikes, didn't mean to start teh "Great Torson v Clutch LSD War". Thanks for confirming that it will fit in though with a little fiddling about. Thanks for the prices too.

But all this Torson v's Clutch has got me thinking about what LSD type i really want, ah well some more research wont go astray.

nuts Grease Monkey

not sure if you guys have seen these lists...
    but just looking at the trd japan website for F series lsd applications.. each irs diff has various side gear shaft differences for lsd and non lsd.. id believe that refers to the stub axles? lsd likely to be shorter.

http://trdparts.jp/english/parts_lsd_mechanical.html

a comparison of F and G series applications from the above site
    http://translate.google.com/translat...26as_qdr%3Dall
    -Mark
    E2 + E7 fan
    '71 KE26 5k, '75 KE25 SR 4agte, '78 KP60 bug 4k-u, '83 KE70 SR Coupe 3tgte, '84 KE74, '84 YN57, '84 AE85.6, '86 AE82 FXGT 20v, '91 ST185, '92 SW20