Thread: Clarification of Technical FAQ and Conversion Threads

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Default Clarification of Technical FAQ and Conversion Threads

Hi,

I'd like some clarification of what constitues a Technical FAQ. I have PM'd a few times to some mods about some threads that I feel should be in the Technical FAQ area, however I have yet to receive a reply.

I'd like to know if this is because the threads were not worthy or fail to meet the Technical FAQ requirements, or there's a general slackness in replying and getting FAQ-worthy threads into the appropriate forum. In any event, it would be nice to actually receive a reply that informs the sender their request has been received, and what action (if any) is going to be done. If a thread is not FAQ-worthy it would be good to be informed of the reason why it fails to meet FAQ requirements.

It would also be nice to know the rules for the Conversion threads. I've read some of these threads and not many of them actually provide definitive answers to the conversion. A number of these threads are questions being asked, with a little bit of a follow up, but nothing really completed from woe-to-go of the actual conversion.

Furthermore, there are threads in the Technical forum that requests info on converting diffs and other things. Why aren't these in the Conversions thread?

Personally, I'd like to see the Conversion section to be only filled with completed threads that show an entire conversion - anything else (along conversion lines) should remain in the Technical section until it is deemed completed and finalised enough to allow it to be moved into the Conversion forum.

seeyuzz
    river
    Last edited by river; 10-05-2006 at 07:54 PM.
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Blasphemist Chief Engine Builder Bananaman's Avatar

Default Re: Clarification of Technical FAQ and Conversion Threads

Yeah, some sort of procedure or evaluation would be good like you say, I agree with everything you've said. Some threads seem to make it in there, while others don't. I made a diff centre removal guide some time ago and have asked if it was suitable to go in the FAQ, and did actually exchange PM's with Karl about it at one point, but i'm not quite sure where it stands.

Here it is here: http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=986
    KE20 CA18DET / RN25 12R / IS200 1G / NA MX5 B6

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

You are right River.

I've 'reported' a few threads that have been posted in the conversion section, because the author thought it was a place to ask questions about conversions.
    In each case the thread was moved within a day or so.
    But it doesn't appear to be actively moderated.

Just report things as you see them, thats what I do.
    For good or bad reasons.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Deal with the Frog Backyard Mechanic Cool1's Avatar

I agree! So I vote River to be a new tech section mod!

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

I'm the only one doing it at the moment, and i often dont get the PMs or the reported posts - so i just dont know.

Also, the moderating template when in a thread is a PITA to remove unwanted posts - you have to do it one by one, and i end up seeing a note in the thread saying "post deleted" for every post that is deleted - which is not only a PITA but makes the thread difficult to follow whilst im editting it.

Rest assured, i have a pretty damn LONG list of threads im intending on moving into the tech FAQ. In fact the FAQ is going to be restructured and renamed to "Tech Library" or "Tech Reference" with subsections and categories - but still waiting to hear feedback from Rod and Josh.
    The idea is also to allow anyone to post in the Tech Library, but all posts to be moderator approved being being visible to the public - this will make the process a billion times faster and easier... cos then all i have to do is read it and give it the OK, rather than copy/edit/fix which all takes too much time.

Basically i dont want to move too much there until i have the structure set up in it's final form, cos otherwise i'd just have to move it all again!
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

C'mon man, no more FEs!!!!

When is this going to be cleared up?

If you can't do it due to time constraints or whatever, then give it to me so I can clear it up. I want it done. It shits me the way it is. I want these forum areas cleaned up.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Teh Massif Dong Carport Converter BlackSupra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by river
    Hi,

If you can't do it due to time constraints or whatever, then give it to me so I can clear it up. I want it done. It shits me the way it is. I want these forum areas cleaned up.

seeyuzz
    river
    Settle pettle, take a dip in the cool pool, after you take your chill pill.

Hoff.

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by river
    Hi,

seeyuzz
    river

As do I.
    However there are a few things I'm waiting on being actioned before I get stuck into it..... for instance having to edit posts one by one to delete them is beyond a pain in the rear - it farken sux. So taking a thread like your 2T/3T specs thread and clearing out all the crap would take about 30 minutes or so - not my idea of efficient

I've been trying to have a go with the evaluation/test versions of Vbulletin to figure out how to fix it up and make Josh's life a little easier here... but i've had little success and lately little time (I am moving house next week - you know how big that task is Shane )

Once i've moved and settled, i'll follow up on this again. It's a matter of reconfiguring a couple of the admin side of things before I can do much in the FAQ..... cos if i move it all now, i'll just have to move it all again once the forum admin/reconfig things are done.

Sorry for the delay buddy
    ...... butt scratcher?!