Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Witzl is lazy - help him collect info for KE70 AE71 front brake and strut upgrades

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

Default Witzl is lazy - help him collect info for KE70 AE71 front brake and strut upgrades

OK yes im lazy, and i could most likely find all the info i need with some searching.... but like i said im lazy, and CBF wading through threads of eleventy billion pages in length with heaps of corolla owners pulling each other's e-peens about how awesomez their drift machine/bozoku/ghey little corollas are.....

.... so yeah, i just want some raw info on good front brakes and struts upgrades.

Yes, I have a KE70.
    No, i will not be doing drift or track work.
    This car will just be doing skids and shit... and occasionally a blat at WSID.

So i need to upgrade the puny front brakes with something better, as i hope to have around 400hp from the engine that will be powering this thing.
    Rear brakes are sorted, thanks to the volvo diff upgrade.
    I will most likely be fitting longer front LCAs, since the guards have been pumped and i would like to fill them with some large tyre.

Here's what i was thinking the options are:

1. The good old hilux/pug/corona upgrade
    Using XT130/RT132 struts, peugeot discs, hilux calipers. Downside of this is that the brakes are quite heavy.
    Question - would this fit inside an MA61 wheel?

2. The RX7 brake upgrade.
    I dont know so much about this one... is it FD RX7 brakes? Which strut do you use with this? Caliper brakets are required arent they? Where do you buy them? What rotors do you use? Will it all fit inside an MA61 wheel?

So yeah... i clearly know farkall.
    I want to keep the standard 4x113.4mm PCD, and use MA61 wheels (clearly). I dont really want to spend more dorras on new wheels, cos im happy with the look of the MA61s as they fit the 80s square shape, and will keep the costs of tyres nice and low.... and i will no doubt be using a lot of tyres.

So can all you KE70/AE71 onwers give me some quick pointers on what other brake upgrade options there are, and give some more quick info on the RX7 brake upgrade...

Your pal,

The Witzl.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

Default Re: Witzl is lazy - help him collect info for KE70 AE71 front brake and strut upgrade

RX7 requires some kind of bracketry - tho using an RA40/28/23 strut and the existing plate that the caliper attaches to makes it simpler.

And seeing as you've fessed up to being lazy, here's a helpful start: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/sho...pgrade-threads

plus read takai's build thread for his IPRA AE86 - it uses mazda calipers on the front and fits them under smallish rims. However, I doubt the MA61 rims would clear the mazda 4-spots.

edit: click on me as I'm too lazy too search
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

Default Re: Witzl is lazy - help him collect info for KE70 AE71 front brake and strut upgrade

LOL just cause your lazy doesnt mean we will spoon feed you.

check out ae86drivingclub for setups on the mazda brakes. Also AJPS for all your ke70/ae71 needs.
    KE30 4agte - Bullet - Rick Rolled
    UZX83 1UZ W58- Cruiser - Tow Car - Fun Car
    Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

Im a hopeless Domestic Engineer

FC and FD callipers are interchangeable.

have a look at the AJPS website, dave has brackets and disks to suit.

callipers are alloy, but still kinda meaty.

def want to keep it 4 stud?

you could look at mx83 struts/hubs with nissan bolt on brake upgrades. also if you went 5 stud you could get those awesome starion wheels (seems like they come in 16x7,8,9!!!)
    -JZX83 in the build
    -UCF11 Daily....... Ha

Quote Originally Posted by Jt_70R View Post
    <3 7M sludge pump

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

LOL, if you are too lazy to search for stuff then I can't see this engine ever going into the car. When you are desparate as the car sits for another decade, unfinished in your garage, and the wife is threatening to torch it, give me a call to discuss the purchase of your engine.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

om nom nom Backyard Mechanic CheeseBiscuits's Avatar

There is also the r33 4 pots...

I belive Jordon has them, with xt130 struts(I think?) in a ke70...

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/sho...evorolla/page6

ok yes you proved my laziness, thanks

I'm aware of the S13 strut upgrade option, but dont like the idea of the induced bump steer that is often corellated to that upgrade.
    I was worried the RX7 upgrade would be too large in diameter to fit inside the 14" MA61 rims.... can anyone confirm this?
    Hilux/pug/corona upgrade.... well there are various reports as to what wheels will fit over this upgrade - most people say you need 15", but i remember many years ago being told by a few people that 14" may actaully fit....

OK... i will do more reading
    ...... butt scratcher?!

The nissan brake options need to require larger wheels, and the S13 upgrade seems to need FWD-style wheel offsets (ghey)

I really didnt want to spend more on purchasing a new set of wheels.... i think i need to find someone with the hilux/pug/rona upgrade and test the MA61 14" wheels on them. If no fit, then i look at something entirely different.

And River - im only lazy cos i want to get this info quickly to attempt to take advantage of the DBA clearance sale and get some cheap discs. Being away all weekend means i dont have much spare time to traul through hundreds of pages of various different threads just to get the info i need - because seriously, some of these threads above are over 10 pages long, with the info required strewn loosely through all those pages. My internets time is limited these days, hence my lazienss
    But I am starting to get back to work on the car, now that the wedding has been and gone.

.....and no, you can never buy my engine.
    Even you cannot handle the awesomeness of my 18RG.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

Well Witzy-babes, you know there are two types of car owners in the world... those that have an 18R-G and those that wish they did.

I'd go the 15inch wheels if I was you. They fill out the guard more, better tyres (as the smaller diamter don't have the range of the larger ones), plus gives you a bit more room to fiddle about calipers and brake setups.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

highly underrated Backyard Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl View Post
    ok yes you proved my laziness, thanks
    Hilux/pug/corona upgrade.... well there are various reports as to what wheels will fit over this upgrade - most people say you need 15", but i remember many years ago being told by a few people that 14" may actaully fit....
    OK... i will do more reading
    pretty sure somebody mentioned they use ma61 wheels on their hpc upgrade i was looking into it to see if my steelies would fit but didnt want to run the risk right now if it not fitting
    and couldnt you get a camber bolt to reduce the excess camber and push the track out a bit wider using sigma lca's.

just my 2 cents

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

I have fit corona steelies over the hilux caliper setup before. 14"
    KE30 4agte - Bullet - Rick Rolled
    UZX83 1UZ W58- Cruiser - Tow Car - Fun Car
    Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

sweet - thanks for the info homos.
    yes you are probably correct Riverhomo, but im a tightarse and dont want to spend more money on wheels when i already have a set
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Im a hopeless Domestic Engineer

the RX7 upgrade is a little expensive? you have to buy the over taxed 86 struts (assuming you dont already have them), bracket and disk. the hilux/pug upgrade is more budget orientated. hilux or landcrusier callipers should be pretty cheap, cheaper then the rx7 ones. the celica struts cause +camber due to the angle of the stub axle so longer LCAs would be good to help correct this as well as to gain the desired track.
    -JZX83 in the build
    -UCF11 Daily....... Ha

Quote Originally Posted by Jt_70R View Post
    <3 7M sludge pump

I even do the dishes as Domestic Engineer Rodger's Avatar

Ok Witzl.

Lazy with money, or lazy and want to also save money?

My suggestion is to go with MA60/61 front strut assemblies, calipers, hubs, and all. You can then shorten the tube and relocate the spring perch. You could also remove the tube from the stub and correct that camber angle issue these model struts have. Or use camber/castor tops and lower arm options to get back some camber.

Replace the rotors with slotted ones and add good pads.

I like these as they will obviously fit in the wheels and they will be really really good for what you want to do.

Regards

Rodger

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

From the top of my head:

- AE86 struts and Jap AE86 brakes. Ventilated but undersized.
    - XT130 struts, MX62 Calipers, RA60 hub and disc. Good.
    - CPH. Heavy.
    - AE86 struts, RX7 calipers, custom adaptor. I think some rally guys use a Magna disc to run this under 14s.
    - RA40 strut (fat stub axle and nice backing plate mount) and whatever caliper you like on a custom adaptor.
    - Hoppers Stoppers probably have something complete and off the shelf to suit.
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.
    Drift Volvo. Was fun. 2JZ next time.