Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any one done R154 to 3sgte, or is there a bell housing available

Junior Member Grease Monkey Raceflo's Avatar

Default Any one done R154 to 3sgte, or is there a bell housing available

Hey guys

Looking for some feed back as to if any one has done this conversion before, the Tremec box is becoming way to expencive and I am fairly sure that the R154 will be up to the task, and I just happen to have a spare R154 box.
    Cheers
    Jon

Always look on the bright side of life

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Default Re: Any one done R154 to 3sgte, or is there a bell housing available

I have never heard of anyone making such a device and making it available off the shelf.

The R154 bellhousings are only available for M and JZ motors.

The only options I can think of would be to use a JZ bellhousing (~20mm shorter than the M bellhousing), or an R151F bellhousing (16mm shorter than the M?) and make an adaptor plate between the two.

But you'd be hard pressed to break a late model W58 behind a 3SGTE, unless you are giving it serious hell, have slicks, or a solid puck clutch
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Thanks for the reply, I will look into this information.

With regards to the w58 behind a 3SGTE we broke 3 in less than 3hours of running, they dont like 350rwkw or 295/30/18 tyres, so lets hope the R154 will hang together better
    Cheers
    Jon

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

or clutch kicks

seriously, any gearbox will have serious issues with shock loading, even the R154.. the V160/1 however looks like a mother of a box, and you may have trouble even shock overloading that one.

breaking R154's will also not be cheap in the long run. have you considered getting an oversized straight cut gearset made up? should only be around $10K or so.

i would suggest that it is not the power or the tyres that breaks boxes outright (although each box has a torque limit), but it is more driving style and =trying= to break traction all the time, resulting in shock loading.... if the driving style will not change, you may need to do more than just a 154 swap
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Cheers Oldcorollas, that is exactly the reason I posted it up here, because there are guys who actually do know there stuff, I have already bought a Tremec TKO2 box with Albins gear set, which is supposed to be good for around 1500hp, I might have to stick with that conversion.
    Cheers
    Jon

dunno about the albins gear set, but the basic TKO (same as TKO2 but different overdrive?) has a torque capacity between 680 and 810Nm from their site

unless you are running the 3S at around 2.5-3Bar boost then you will not make that much torque. however, the abuse can kill any box.

perhaps just ask Albins how they feel the gearset will stand up to it? they would have the most feedback and knowledge abotu their bits, and the casing itself is not likely to break first...
    it's interesting they rate it in Hp instead of Nm

i hope you got it cheap
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

As Stu said.
    I doubt a W58 will have any issues with a 350rwkw 3SGTE, as its not a huge instant torque monster.

Its more the way you drive it.

I doubt the R154 is THAT much stronger than the W58 in that regard.

Good thing is, make the adaptor plate to suit the JZ R154 bellhousing, and the V160 will bolt straight on.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic sam-131's Avatar

go on raceflo you know you want a holinger

or have you thorght about strengthening the internals of the w58 shot pinn and cryo treating it or what ever they do? but yeh if your got a tko allready there isnt even a point

Quote Originally Posted by sam-131
    go on raceflo you know you want a holinger

or have you thorght about strengthening the internals of the w58 shot pinn and cryo treating it or what ever they do? but yeh if your got a tko allready there isnt even a point
    shot PEEN (as in.. peening with metal shot ) i very very much doubt that a gearset will benefit from shotpeening.. if it does, the gear teeth are too soft anyway, and should be thrown away.
    cryogenic treatment to reduce the amount of retained austenite IS one way to make the surfaces harder and more wear resistant... but it also makes the surfaces a little less resistant to fatigue as they are now more brittle (unless the change from austenite to martensite or whatever imparts extra compressive stress in the surface..) so it will not help here....

the basic issue, disregarding any tooth quality issues, is that when you shockload a gearbox, the base of the teeth are loaded X amount. if you make the teeth twice as wide, the load per area at the base is halved... which is why gearboxes with wider teeth last longer in the same situation.

if you want to abuse it, V160 or tremec as a starting point... just depends how much like a truck you want the car to be

does the albins set have dogs?

how much is Too Much Toyota JustenGT8's Avatar

At 350rwkw the R154 isn't going to save you in the long run. Admitedly i have alot more torque with the TT1UZ but we are talking similar rwkw. I wasn't even going to risk using the Getrag 6 speed as even this box is known to have issues with 3rd gear on big torque monsters.

To save me bucks in the long run i went with the TKO600 rated at 600ftlbs against the 6 speed which is rated at 350ftlbs.....you have done the rest of the car so well, why skimp is this vital area? Not like you don't already have a good box and hardly short of dosh?
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raceflo
    I have already bought a Tremec TKO2 box
    Sounds like problem solved to me. Why are you even considering an R154 if you have a monster like that?

Domestic Godess, NOT Domestic Engineer clubagreenie's Avatar

Back to basics question no one has asked. Is it breaking shafts or stripping gears?
    Friends

ed_jza80 has not made any friends yet

Quote Originally Posted by clubagreenie
    Back to basics question no one has asked. Is it breaking shafts or stripping gears?
    Both it has broken 2 input shafts and stripped, 1st. 3rd and 4th,.

JustenGT8 the TKO600 is a very similar box to the TKO2, who did you get to make your adapter? The guy who was supposed to be doing mine has been mucking me around for 10 weeks, as he claims it is too hard , that is why I was looking at running the R154 box if it was an easier path to take.

But as has been said here already, it would be pushing the problem back by maybe 10hours of running instead of 1 hour running.

The TKO2 box I have came from a guy who is the number 1 guy in off road racing, he was breaking 40spline Strang axels regularly, but never broke one of these gear boxes, that was after they were fitted with the Albins gear sets, before they were fitted with the Albins gear sets he broke 8 TKO2 boxes, so I am fairly sure Albins got it right, as a matter of interest he has another 3 brand new boxes fitted with Albins gear sets sitting there that he also wants to sell.
    Cheers
    Jon

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raceflo
    as a matter of interest he has another 3 brand new boxes fitted with Albins gear sets sitting there that he also wants to sell.
    Just out of curiosity, how much would these go for?

I think he is asking for around $5000.00 for ea box, but when you look at what they cost, it is under 1/2 price for just getting the gear set done.
    Cheers
    Jon