Thread: Timing chain on 22R

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Timing chain on 22R

G'day all, probably really stupid questions, but I'm gonna ask anyway. I need to replace the timing chain on my 22R. My Haynes repair manual states that I need to remove the cylinder head to do it which to me means that I should replace the Head Gasket also... right?
    I got a timing chain kit from NASON (TTK12) which has chain, guides, tensioner and timing cover seal gasket set. So apart from needing a head gasket also.. anything else I'm gonna need?

And I got 2 days to do it in... never done it before... can it be done?
    ¿qué?

LN56 - Bullbar, UHF...Thats all so far!
    RN85 - Bullbar, UHF, Clearance lights, Mudflaps, Stickers...Dead

Awesome ****** Domestic Engineer Javal's Avatar

Default Re: Timing chain on 22R

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ingChain.shtml

First google result. It's for a hilux / 4runner but the basic concepts are the same. Get some gasket goo to re-seal the bottom of the timing case against the sump if you are not going to change the sump gasket.
    The 18R-G. The GOOD 2 Litre Tractor motor.

Nothing but a filthy Conversion King CELICASUPRA7M's Avatar

you can get the timing cover off with out taking off the cylinder head, but your bound to get oil leaks later on.
    make sure you undo the little head bolt in front of the cam sprocket!
    1983 Toyota Celica Supra

Forum Member Grease Monkey

dont bother taking timing cover off if its just a chain your replacing, assuming everything else is ok like chain tensioner etc. Just used some wire to join two links of the chain on top of cam gear once rocker cover is off , break old chain carefully into one lont piece between where you tied it with wire then wire new chain to old chain turn motor around with a socket and ratchet on crank (turn it the same direction motor runs) while keeping tension on both new chain end and old chain. once new chain is al the way around motor link on top of cam gear and all done.

You can get a new cam chain with clip link so its easy to join, old one will prob be crush type so a motorbike chain breaker will prob have to be begged/borrowed/stolen to break old chain (if your a ruff bugger a small set of bolt cutters you dont ever want to use again and some brain power and rag will sort it) worst case senario is you let the chain loose and motor goes out of timing , then you will have to pull timing cover.

Keep in mind 22r's have two different length chains (tall and short block or head cant remember) these are not interchangable ! Make sure you have the correct chain before you start !!!

Junior Member Grease Monkey

do remove the timing cover , as the plastic guides are prone to breaking and thats prob what is causing alot of the noise.
    i did this exact thing last month, to a noisey motor , guides where totally broken away.
    i didnt need to remove the head , its just that 1 bolt right at the front that has to be removed and u can tuck the timing cover under that section of head surface.

if you dont inspect / replace the chain guides they will eventually wear throu the timing cover near the water pump and comine oil/water galleries . that is what happened to my motor and i had to source another motor ( or another timing cover, but i just got a new motor , and put a fresh timing chain set throu it to be sure )
    \
    the link above helped alot when i did the swap , and proves you can do it with head removal

good luck ( lucky i did mine on a motor stand rather than in the car )

and i had old motor out , repair timing chain set , and refit replacment motor in 2 days

iconoclast Backyard Mechanic Youngy's Avatar

When I did mine I got a kit from here - http://www.engnbldr.com/

The guy is in the States but answers all emails. Has an ebay store as well.

I got the whole timing kit and metal backed guides (fixes the guide issue) for a really good price. Have had no issues since.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Wow, awesome, thanks guys. I'm still gonna buy a head gasket 'just in case' but hopefully I'll get it all done in good time so I can head off on my little trip up north. If I dont have to remove the head, all the better. But yeah, will be replacing the guides and tensioner... so cover off!

Never done a chain before, replaced a belt on a Volvo... but thats about it, same basic idea I suppose :/[/I]
    ¿qué?

LN56 - Bullbar, UHF...Thats all so far!
    RN85 - Bullbar, UHF, Clearance lights, Mudflaps, Stickers...Dead

SPANNER CRAB Grease Monkey AE3SGTE's Avatar

Thread revival,
    I noticed my RN85R 22R making infamous "start-up rattle" early last week and decided to inspect it today, and you guessed it, the timing chain is loose as a $2 ho.
    I have sourced a timing chain kit from Repco a TTK-12 96 link chain kit, but it comes with plastic guides.
    If i'm going to do it, I want the metal guides so I don't have to worry about it again til the end of its life.....
    Where in Aus, preferably Brisbane QLD can I get these metal guides from, or do I have to order them from US?
    Ali
    Last edited by AE3SGTE; 30-06-2012 at 03:13 PM.

Also, I don't know how long its been doing this for, I only just noticed it.
    Like the motors still runs ok, but what sign's would I be looking for if the chain has worn through the timing cover near the water pump (with out having pulled it down yet)?
    The oil on the dipstick seems ok, no mayonnaise or sign's of coolant in the oil that I can see, but is there any stand out signs?
    I figure, I'll pull her off the road, and order this
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOYOTA-22...item5894a1a76c
    (and maybe a 270/430 cam while i'm at it) but I don't want to commit if my block is wasted.

iconoclast Backyard Mechanic Youngy's Avatar

Just get the guides from the States - easy and probably quicker than waiting for someone here to even figure out what you are talking about.

The block will be fine. At the worst it will leave two marks in the side of the head where it comes up to the top pulley. But if you can see that then you will see most of your coolant in the sump already.

Each time I have done this (not just my own motors) I have done the whole timing cover as well - since they can be sourced so cheaply from the states.

Nothing but a filthy Conversion King CELICASUPRA7M's Avatar

The chain will leave 2 grooves in the cover, you can see them looking down through the rocker cover.
    The main prob with them is the chain stretches and slaps hard against the guides, then once the guides are gone the chain wears the cover away.
    With a new chain and even plastic guides you should get 100,000k no worries.

Also make sure you remove the sump and clean all the pieces of broken guides out.
    1983 Toyota Celica Supra

Quote Originally Posted by Youngy View Post
    Just get the guides from the States - easy and probably quicker than waiting for someone here to even figure out what you are talking about.

The block will be fine. At the worst it will leave two marks in the side of the head where it comes up to the top pulley. But if you can see that then you will see most of your coolant in the sump already.

Each time I have done this (not just my own motors) I have done the whole timing cover as well - since they can be sourced so cheaply from the states.
    I can't see any marks in the head, maybe I caught it early. I will have a closer look when I tear it down.
    It has 227,xxx on the clock, doesn't use any oil...I figure might as well do the cover and pumps at the same time, and since i'm going to the trouble, for an extra ~ $150 might as well put a decent sized cam and new valve springs in it. All the rocker gear looks in good shape ( I thought it was a rocker noise to being with)

Quote Originally Posted by CELICASUPRA7M View Post
    The chain will leave 2 grooves in the cover, you can see them looking down through the rocker cover.
    The main prob with them is the chain stretches and slaps hard against the guides, then once the guides are gone the chain wears the cover away.
    With a new chain and even plastic guides you should get 100,000k no worries.

Also make sure you remove the sump and clean all the pieces of broken guides out.
    Being an interference engine, I want the piece of mind that it has the metal guide.
    Like after seeing how loose it is I figure I was lucky this time.
    And after pricing up 22R from wreckers (Jesus) I believe do it once do it right.
    I will pick up a sump gasket kit and re-seal the whole sump after I clean it out.

ENGNBLDR emailed me back, said
    The early 98 link setup only fits two years, 83-84 so we never produced the longer guide in steel backed, just Nylon.
    We also now have no source for the early taller timing cover, so hopefully yours is the later version.

I haven't stripped it down yet, but is there a way to tell if mine is definitely the 96 link chain?
    If I order the above gear, its all for the 96 link version.
    Mine is an 89 model with the original engine...
    Just don't want to order the wrong parts is all.

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by AE3SGTE; 01-07-2012 at 08:25 PM.

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

If your block has that boss you have the 96 single row chain later 85-95 engine.(well at least here in the States)
    72 RA21, 77 RA29, 78 RA40, 79 RA42, 83 RA65c, 85 RN60
    81 RA42 race car, 04 F150 supercab tow rig.