Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling all 1JZ VVTI owners: NA to 1JZ VVTI JZA80 conversion help needed!

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Calling all 1JZ VVTI owners: NA to 1JZ VVTI JZA80 conversion help needed!

Hey guys I have been a long time lurker and use this site frequently and have always found what I was looking for so there was no need to post until now.. I am in a bit of a dilemma at the moment with my 2JZGE to 1JZ vvti (from a soarer) conversion into my non-factory manual s2 JZA80 supra. I’ve done most of the wiring but am unsure of a few and require your assistance. Thanks in advance for your contribution and advice. Ok here goes...

On the II1 (supra) plug where do the following pins hook up to? From various materials I’ve gathered this is what’s described for each pin, you are also more than welcome to point out any errors which you may see with the descriptions:

II1 supra plug
    #2 – Vehicle speed sensor
    #4 – PPS ECU solenoid (sol+), other diagram says its ‘negative’? Also, I can’t find the PPS solenoid for the life of me, can someone point me in the right directions please?
    #6 – is this the warning lamp cluster? If so where does it go? Looking at the JZZ30 body plug descriptions I can't find anything which is related.
    #7 –park (auto trans) – do I need to hook this up since my car is manual but is running an auto ECU?
    #10 – AC clutch (clutch side) – does this get extended to the soarer’s EB1 plug pin# 1 (description: AC Clutch Power)?
    #11 – one diagram says its ‘telltale light’ and the other says its SP1@ECU, which is it?
    #14 – PPS solenoid (Sol -), other diagram says its ‘+’?? Can someone confirm which one is correct?
    #33 – Engine oil level sensor (this doesn’t exist on the supra’s II1 plug!?!)
    #34 – L@alternator (Am I right by extending a wire from pin#2 on the EA3 plug across the motor to pin #3 on the alternator plug?) Also, does anyone know what the description is for pins #1&2 on the supra’s alternator plug so I can hook them up accordingly?

Onto the IJ1 (supra) plug...

IJ1 supra plug

#1 – IG2
    #3 – IDL (not sure what that is? Idle? which one?)
    #6 – shielding (no idea, is that a ground?)
    #9 - +B/IG2 (12V IGN)
    #10 – E1@DLC which pin/body plug does it hook up to?
    #19 – Cco@DLC & 29A@ECU I think.. what is Cco? Cruise Control?
    #20 - +B/12V IGN??? one document says it doesnt exist (which it does, it's G/Y) and the other says its IGN..

Sorry for the massive post but I am really stuck right now with these pins and where they connect to, I don’t want to even think about starting the car until I am certain of the above pins etc. If anyone knowledgeable could shed some light I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks for taking the time to read my essay

Hopefully this thread will help future guys tackling the NA to 1JZ vvti conversion
    Chris.

RZN169R+2JZGTEVVTI+R151 Domestic Engineer madmont's Avatar

Default Re: Calling all 1JZ VVTI owners: NA to 1JZ VVTI JZA80 conversion help needed!

Did you have a look at my breakdown of what the wires are? I did it by colour
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/sho...3+supra+wiring
    Jealousy is a curse

Default Re: Calling all 1JZ VVTI owners: NA to 1JZ VVTI JZA80 conversion help needed!

Hey mate thanks for the link I will have to check it out when I get home..

I did notice though that you used a s1 engine. Mine is a s2 and I've heard that there are slight differences between the two.

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

Hey dude,

PM me your e-mail address - I have full wiring diagrams for s2 JZA80. It's for the vvti turbo model, but the vast majority of them will be the same.
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

PM sent with email address

Much love!

Can anyone help me specifically on those pins mentioned above???

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

My notes that may or may not help, take them with a grain of salt.

The easiest thing to do is to get excel out and map your 2JZGE body loom plugs and 1JZ body loom plugs and work out how to connect the dots

Quote Originally Posted by N/A_PWR View Post
    On the II1 (supra) plug where do the following pins hook up to? From various materials I’ve gathered this is what’s described for each pin, you are also more than welcome to point out any errors which you may see with the descriptions:

II1 supra plug
    #2 – Vehicle speed sensor
    This goes to the speed sensor that was on the side of the gearbox. It goes to the dash cluster.

#4 – PPS ECU solenoid (sol+), other diagram says its ‘negative’? Also, I can’t find the PPS solenoid for the life of me, can someone point me in the right directions please?
    I've got this as +ve in my notes and going to pin 1 of the PPS solenoid plug. These wires might not be in ur 1jz loom... these wires go to the steering rack on the drivers side.

#6 – is this the warning lamp cluster? If so where does it go? Looking at the JZZ30 body plug descriptions I can't find anything which is related.
    This is labelled as the EGW (Exhaust Gas Warning Light), you can ignore it, hardly anyone wires it up in conversions...

#7 –park (auto trans) – do I need to hook this up since my car is manual but is running an auto ECU?
    I'd ignore.

#10 – AC clutch (clutch side) – does this get extended to the soarer’s EB1 plug pin# 1 (description: AC Clutch Power)?
    My recollection is that this pin goes to the climate control ECU so that it knows when the engine ECU has the AC on or off. The AC clutch is controlled via another pin on the ECU that switches the AC_MG relay....

#11 – one diagram says its ‘telltale light’ and the other says its SP1@ECU, which is it?
    I have this labelled as SP1 to the engine ECU from the instrument cluster.

#14 – PPS solenoid (Sol -), other diagram says its ‘+’?? Can someone confirm which one is correct?
    I have it listed as -ve. I have it listed as going to pin 2 on the PPS solenoid plug.

#33 – Engine oil level sensor (this doesn’t exist on the supra’s II1 plug!?!)
    It existed on mine Did your 2JZ have an oil level sensor?

#34 – L@alternator (Am I right by extending a wire from pin#2 on the EA3 plug across the motor to pin #3 on the alternator plug?) Also, does anyone know what the description is for pins #1&2 on the supra’s alternator plug so I can hook them up accordingly?
    I think you'll find that this (and the other required alternator pins) come out on plugs on the 1jz loom either near the fuse box, or on the body loom plugs inside the car

Onto the IJ1 (supra) plug...
    #1 – IG2
    This is switched ignition power (on in run and crank key positions) to the coils and igniter.

#3 – IDL (not sure what that is? Idle? which one?)
    Is is from the IDL contact / switch on the TPS. Goes to the cruise control etc...

#6 – shielding (no idea, is that a ground?)
    I had nothing on this pin.

#9 - +B/IG2 (12V IGN)
    This is IG2, not +B. It's switched ignition power (run and crank) to the injectors,.

#10 – E1@DLC which pin/body plug does it hook up to?
    I have E1 for DLC etc on pin 18, it should be Ground, but I don't recall on which side it is grounded (engine or car).

#19 – Cco@DLC & 29A@ECU I think.. what is Cco? Cruise Control?
    This goes to the Catalytic converter temp sensor, which is related to the EGW pin. Again 99.99% of people ignore this

#20 - +B/12V IGN??? one document says it doesnt exist (which it does, it's G/Y) and the other says its IGN..
    I had nothing on this pin. The JDM wiring book I has says it's for the 'M' engine ECU pin, which is related to the auto trans on 96.4 -> cars...

Cheers
    Wilbo
    Last edited by wilbo666; 04-04-2011 at 09:45 PM.
    Wilbo's Wiki (Includes 2JZ-GTE Wiring, etc! )

Wilbo's JZA80
    Wilbo's JZZ12

Haven't looked at it yet but...i love you REALLY appreciate your huge effort in answering all my little problems. I was hoping you in particular would chime in as well hehe.

I have made a fair bit of progress since my original post and have almost finished bar a few wires but will double check the body plugs tomorrow night and maybe triple check it again..

Thanks again Wilbo!

Ok I'm stuck on a few things and was wondering if anyone could help, I am almost finished with the wiring harness but have a few wires to sort out.

I have tried to attach a document detailing the soarer body plugs but the file is too big to upload. If anyone wishes to view the word doc I will email it to you...

II1 (Supra)
    Ok so pin #2 and #8 on the II1 plug are the VSS. I understand that pin #2 is linked to pin #3 (blue-red) on the 3 pin speed sensor plug (black) for the W58. What I don't get is how do I go about hooking this up to the dash cluster/comb meter?

I'm also not sure where pin #2 (VSS) and #8 (VSS) wires to as these are blanks on the actual soarer plug (Ik1) but the wiring diagram says it should exist? Am I able to just extend a wire from the supra plug straight to the black speed sensor on the gearbox for pin #3? I'm slightly confused..

For pin #11 (SP1@ECU), again how do I hook it up to the instrument cluster? On the 2J loom and ECU SP1 is a pink wire and that's from the ECU to the II1 (orange) supra body plug. However, on the soarer's loom there are no speed sensor ports, they are all blanks even though the wiring diagram says it exists. wtf

@Wilbo666 I seriously don't have a engine oil level sensor pin on the supra plug lol Any suggestions on how to go about this?

IJ1 (Supra)
    For pin #1 (IG2) I have it hooked up to another IG2 pin on the soarer's IJ1 plug but I want to check if it's right so do you know where I would test it specifically? How do I test it at the coils and ignitor? Also, how do I tell the difference between the two IG2 wires (pin #1 and pin #9) and which one to hook up to the dark grey IJ1 soarer plug - which shows IG2 as being pin #3 and 7?

For pin #3 (IDL) do I still need to hook this up if I don't have cruise control?

Any tips and advice is much appreciated!

Custom ****** 1st year Apprentice

Ok I'm stuck on a few things and was wondering if anyone could help, I am almost finished with the wiring harness but have a few wires to sort out.

I have tried to attach a document detailing the soarer body plugs but the file is too big to upload. If anyone wishes to view the word doc I will email it to you...

II1 (Supra)
    Ok so pin #2 and #8 on the II1 plug are the VSS. I understand that pin #2 is linked to pin #3 (blue-red) on the 3 pin speed sensor plug (black) for the W58. What I don't get is how do I go about hooking this up to the dash cluster/comb meter
    SNIP
    This signal goes through to the odo which then passes it off to the dash/comb meter.
    JZA80 Supra Aerotop undergoing 3UZFE VVTi + Twin Turbos / Getrag 6 Speed conversion

Hey mate thanks for your reply. I'm still a little confused, the supra's II1 plug has two VSS pins and they are supposed to go to another two VSS pins on the IK1 soarer plug.. only thing is they do not physically exist on the soarer plug but they are supposed to according to the wiring diagram. So would I just splice into the appropriate pins on the comb meter??

[QUOTE=N/A_PWR;1311283]Ok I'm stuck on a few things and was wondering if anyone could help, I am almost finished with the wiring harness but have a few wires to sort out.

II1 (Supra)
    Ok so pin #2 and #8 on the II1 plug are the VSS. I understand that pin #2 is linked to pin #3 (blue-red) on the 3 pin speed sensor plug (black) for the W58. What I don't get is how do I go about hooking this up to the dash cluster/comb meter?
    It sounds like you have it sorted mostly...

II1-2 Wires directly to the speed sensor output on the gearbox and goes to the dash cluster.

See page 6 of this document.
    36 Sensors#6 - Speed Sensors with questions.pdf file size 283KB

The signal output pin from the W58 3 pin speed sensor plug connects to the JZA80 body loom on pin 2 of the II1 plug and heads to the JZA80 cluster and speedo directly from that pin. You will probably need to add a new pug and wires to get to the W58 speed sensor as the JZZ30 VVTi Auto loom will not have this.

I'm also not sure where pin #2 (VSS) and #8 (VSS) wires to as these are blanks on the actual soarer plug (Ik1) but the wiring diagram says it should exist? Am I able to just extend a wire from the supra plug straight to the black speed sensor on the gearbox for pin #3? I'm slightly confused..
    II1-2 goes to the speed sensor output (Pin 3)
    II1-8 goes to the speed sensor ground (Pin 2)
    II1-23 is switched ignition power to the speed sensor (Pin 1), reverse lights and alternator

If you wire those 3 wires from the JZA80 body loom side to the 3 pin W58 speed sensor your dash speedo should work

For pin #11 (SP1@ECU), again how do I hook it up to the instrument cluster? On the 2J loom and ECU SP1 is a pink wire and that's from the ECU to the II1 (orange) supra body plug. However, on the soarer's loom there are no speed sensor ports, they are all blanks even though the wiring diagram says it exists. wtf
    You don't hook up II1-11 to the instrument cluster, this is the speed signal that comes FROM the instrument cluster. See above autoshop101 pdf

You might have a bit of fun working out the JZZ30 engine ECU speed sensor input, as off the top of my head, my understanding is that the JZZ30 Auto ECU uses the rear, reluctor (2 wire) auto gearbox speed sensor (12toothed) and then the JZZ30 Auto engine ECU outputs the speed signal to the dash... for you I'd ignore the JZZ30 engine ECU speed sensor input at the moment and see if it drives fine without it (Many engine conversions with Auto ecus have not wired up the speed sensor input)

@Wilbo666 I seriously don't have a engine oil level sensor pin on the supra plug lol Any suggestions on how to go about this?
    Ignore it? If you say you JZA80 didn't have an oil level sensor then

IJ1 (Supra)
    For pin #1 (IG2) I have it hooked up to another IG2 pin on the soarer's IJ1 plug but I want to check if it's right so do you know where I would test it specifically? How do I test it at the coils and ignitor? Also, how do I tell the difference between the two IG2 wires (pin #1 and pin #9) and which one to hook up to the dark grey IJ1 soarer plug - which shows IG2 as being pin #3 and 7?
    There are two pins that are IG2 (Ignition power) on the JZA80 IJ1 plug, pin 1 and pin 9. I would connect one to each of the JZZ30 IJ1 pins (Looks like IG2 is on pins 3 and pin 7 on the JZZ30 wiring). Toyota use two pins as one pin is not rated to handle the expected current flow on its own...

So, I'd suggest:
    JZA80 IJ1-1 to JZZ30 IJ1-3
    JZA80 IJ1-9 to JZZ30 IJ1-7

You can test at the injector plugs, or the coil plugs... or anything else IG2 is meant to feed

For pin #3 (IDL) do I still need to hook this up if I don't have cruise control?
    It's one extra wire, don't be lazy is my suggestion

Cheers
    Wilbo

Wilbo's JZA80
    Wilbo's JZZ12

Aww man you are a legend! Thanks for clearing up the SP1 and VSS wires.. they were doing my head in XD Now that's sorted I just gotta tidy up the wiring, put some fluid in and try to start her up. Wish me luck

Cheers
    Chris.

Well the car is alive however I have come across another problem..

All gauges do not work inluding speedo, tacho, volt and water temp. I jumped under the dash and checked the gauge fuse and it was blown. I replaced it and started the car again..still nothing. I removed the fuse again to find another blown fuse.. what could be causing this??

Also, power windows don't work and reverse lights don't come up. The reverse lights should be an easy fix though.

Please help

Well that would indicate a short to ground somewhere...

I'd start by unplugging the II1 plug and see if the fuse still blows...this will at least start to isolate it.

To be honest I can't think of much off the top of my head that is powered by the gauge fuse that is near where you have played with... speed sensor perhaps?

Cheers
    Wilbo

Wilbo's JZA80
    Wilbo's JZZ12