Thread: ST215 3sgte swap to AE92 w/ ST185 3sgte

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Smile ST215 3sgte swap to AE92 w/ ST185 3sgte

Guys!

I have my friends AE92 corolla with a blown 2nd gen 3sgte, yet at the same time i have my a/t st215 3sgte from a 2000 caldina GT-T. I was wondering if it will be a straight swap into the 2nd gens manual transmission without any conversion? and also i was wondering what do you guys do with the matic ECU to match with the new manual transmission? i think there will be problems regarding it, and also is it possible to use the manual ECU from the 2nd gen 3sgte to the 4th gen for an easy match?

Hoping for your kind response and suggestion, im still a 1st timer for this kind of swap.

Here's the pic of my 4th gen:

will follow pics of 3sgte from the AE92

Thanks

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia stidnam's Avatar

Default Re: ST215 3sgte swap to AE92 w/ ST185 3sgte

The gearbox should fit.

With the ecu as it is a auto it will have the stability control so the ecu may spit up some errors as you wont be connecting these up. The ABS computer also is linked to the ecu but I don't know exactly what it does. Supposedly the speedo signal is taken from the abs wheel sensors so maybe this is partly why it is linked. That said I have read of people using the auto ecu and have got the motor running.

You wont be able to use the 2nd gen ecu as the 4th gen ecu has coil on plug, crank angle sensor and different tune (compression is higher in the 4th gen 3sgte)

Ecu pinout
    Last edited by stidnam; 29-03-2011 at 07:58 PM.

Hopefully soon a 5S-GTE Chief Engine Builder MWP's Avatar

Yup, it'll need some electronic trickery to get it running correctly.
    I hope you know someone that is good with that kinda thing. If not you'll need to find a very good auto elec to get it sorted.

Also be aware that while the gen4 engine is a decent amount more powerful than the gen2, it is weaker.
    You won't be able to wind up the boost too much. It'll break a rod if you go too far.

I definitely ain't a Chief Engine Builder wagonist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWP View Post
    Yup, it'll need some electronic trickery to get it running correctly.
    I hope you know someone that is good with that kinda thing. If not you'll need to find a very good auto elec to get it sorted.

Also be aware that while the gen4 engine is a decent amount more powerful than the gen2, it is weaker.
    You won't be able to wind up the boost too much. It'll break a rod if you go too far.
    There are Dina's running around with 17psi (about 12 or so stock) on stock bottom ends, which is where most of the power increase comes from.
    Look up Yahoo auctions maybe to find a manual ECU for the ST215. It would be a lot easier IMHO.
    ABS is only hooked up to the manual ECU for speedo signal.

As an aside, is the AC still in the Corolla? because it is doubtful that the ST185 AC compressor will fit properly onto the ST215 engine. It will bolt up, but the Dina compressor is a lot shorter to allow clearance for the dump pipe & oil cooler.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Question Re: ST215 3sgte swap to AE92 w/ ST185 3sgte

@Wagonist - A/C still intact with the 3sgte. so i will be able to utilize it.

@MWP - noted boss. i might stick to a safer boost level.

@Stidnam - Thank you so much for the diagram and info bro, it's so much help. we might be able to figure out the proper wiring setup based on the diagram you've provided. Thanks again!

Bad news is, the AE92 is already history, carnapped last night in front of our house.

so in this case im planning to have it placed in my KE71, with a stock RWD 2T busted engine. and as for my wildest imagination, i am planning to have it converted to FWD utilizing the 2nd gen FWD transmission. will this be possible? and as i thought the next easiest to have it placed to is an AE80 wagon with a stock FWD 4a engine.

here's the missile project KE71:

or with this

AE80

still thinking it out

I definitely ain't a Chief Engine Builder wagonist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stidnam View Post

Ecu pinout
    Have you still got this pinout list? I've got updated info which would be good to add