Thread: PLZ HELP. whats the diffent's with the 18R hilux motor n the celica 18R motor

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default PLZ HELP. whats the diffent's with the 18R hilux motor n the celica 18R motor

ok guys i need help my 18R is gone it no longer run's what i want to no what motor will drop in? i no the celica come out with the 18R motor but whats the diffent's?

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Default Re: PLZ HELP. whats the diffent's with the 18R hilux motor n the celica 18R motor

Differences should be the exhaust manifold and sump/oil pickup. These are interchangeable. Your intake manifold may also be different. The long motor itself will be identical (though I haven't checked for differences in cam profiles, however your existing cam can be swapped into the new motor without real issue)

In short, between your dead motor and the donor motor, you should (assuming you haven't had a seriously catastrophic failure) you shouldn't have any dramas putting together a new one. I would also replace the welch plugs, sump gasket (though this will be necessary to convert to the different sump) and front/rear main seals while you are doing it, as these are a pain in the arse to replace once the donk is in the car. Any other seals (such as valve cover gasket and half moon seal) which are a known pain should also be replaced at this time.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Default Re: PLZ HELP. whats the diffent's with the 18R hilux motor n the celica 18R motor

thanks mate. can i use my 4 speed manual with the new motor?

Yeah, no issue. You may also need to use your existing flywheel and clutch. Do a compare before you make a decision.
    Cheers, Owen
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

If you Hilux has an 18R-C it is slightly different to an 18R. The 18R-C has a bigger oil pump than the 18R and the oil pickup has an extra bolt on the 18R-C so they cant be swappped. The timing chain tensioners are different and the front bearing journal of the camshaft is different. The 18R-C lets more oil through to the camshaft and rocker arms to try to fix the rocker arm wear problem.

i only c 18r on the firewall

Could you please expand your words. It is in the rules that you are not allowed to use txt spk, and you have been warned.

As for whether it is an 18R or 18R-C - that can be difficult to determine at first glance, and the firewall isn't necessarily a wealth of info. However, being that you have a Hilux, and it is a commercial class vehicle, it is exempt from the same pollution requirements of the passenger vehicles, so it may well be a 18R rather than the choked up 18R-C.

What is actually wrong with the vehicle, and what is stopping you from rebuilding it?? Do you have a wrecking yard nearby who has a Hilux of similar vintage with a running 18R you could put in??
    Cheers, Owen

well on the motor it has 18R.
    um what ie wrong with it low compression. number1 is 80psi. 2 is 80. 3 is 146 n 4 is 149... as for wrecking yard yeah 140k's away

What about a quick rering?? that isn't too hard/expensive and should keep you going for a while.
    Cheers, Owen

yeah i was thinkin about this kit www.performanceparts.com.au/specials_engine.htm...

Junior Member Grease Monkey

when you did the compression test, did you do a wet and dry test ? it may be leaky valves. where are you ? i've got an 18r here in a hiace which runs sweet. free to good home. i'm in wilcannia. western nsw.
    so much stuff. so little time.