Thread: Importing Vehicles? Need help!

Default Importing Vehicles? Need help!

Hey Guys,

Pretty simple post, just wanting to know how to exporting vehicles to Australia, just want to know what I would have to go through in regards to the fine print, costs, processes etc...

I currently work in Indonesia and I am thinking of making a business on the side whilst I am here...

I am planning to import old vehicles to Australia, basically most Toyotas, especially Corollas from the KE10 to the KE70 and anything in between. How should I go about it? Who has been through this process, is it worth it?

Give me a heads up

Adam

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Default Re: Importing Vehicles? Need help!

start here

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...les/index.aspx
    http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...989scheme.aspx

you would need to work out the cost of shipping and compliance in australia, and see if it is worth it.
    those cars you mention are worth only a couple of thousand AUD locally, unless they were particularly special models that were nto available here.

basically, you need an "approval to import" via whatever DOTARS scheme it is, either pre 1989 or SEVS, then need to ship it, then get through customs and quarantine (can easily add another $1-2000 there), and then get complied for whichever states RTA or equivalent.

edit: cars of interest would be SL KE15/KE17, 4 door KE10, TE27 of any model, early Celica GT models especially RA25.. E7 notchbacks etc
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

To be able to make a profit you will need to be bringing in cars that are "collectable" and appeal to a target market that is happy to pay a decent price for them. You're looking at about 4K in costs to get the car over here for sale as an estimate. This means for something you pick up for free you'd still need to be charging $5k+ to make a profit.

I'd say if you're going to bring in Toyota's you'd need to be doing cars that are quite rare and in really good condition. Toyota's that might be proffitable would be TE27, TA27/RA25, coupes that weren't sold here such as corona's and crowns, *S2* crowns, RWD starlets.

If I were you I'd be looking more at early Mazdas and Datsuns as their community seems more likely to pay significant money for the vehicles.

That said if you find a *S2* Crown two door wagon to send over I'll take it

Forum Member Grease Monkey

my unc imports cars...

the cost of shipping, will outweigh it all. you will be loosing money..

just buy cars strip them n sell small parts instead if you can be bothered

so why does your uncle import cars then?
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

Get me a right hand drive ke30 2 door sedan for less that 1500?
    KE30 4agte - Bullet - Rick Rolled
    UZX83 1UZ W58- Cruiser - Tow Car - Fun Car
    Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

I just realised that this was posted on the tech and conversions part sorry mods,

cheers oldcorollas for the websites, a lot of reading to do.... :\

Well oldcorollas is right, blaq.boi why is your uncle still in the business if he is losing money ???

Well the good thing is that I have a couple of contracts with certain shippers and they will cut the price for me in order to send vehicles over and be bothered dealing... but that can be another story, getting the vehicles and

Would anyone like to help search some sort of information on these particular model corollas???
    There could be an opportunity for someone to make cash on the side

btw cuzzo and joshtix you're on! give some information i need to find and i'll go looking for it

thanks a lot guys, really appreciated it

in your costings, i think the largest cost will be getting it from the ship, and past Aussie customs and quarantine, so it would be a godo idea to get in contact with someone in shipping that knows how much it will cost to get onto aussie soil from the boat.
    if your shippers have an aussie office to deal with customs and quarantine, then it makes things much easier!
    also consider which ports you will send to (brisbane/sydney etc) as that can affect the cost a lot.

when i imported from japan, the ship to soil cost was 2 or 3 times the actual shipping cost.
    you have to "grease the wheels" on the docks

edit: and it might be important to have the cars in running condition for roll-o/roll-off, but still ont he docks in aus, they tend to use a towign company anytime the car has to move

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas View Post
    so why does your uncle import cars then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Roof87 View Post
    I just realised that this was posted on the tech and conversions part sorry mods,

cheers oldcorollas for the websites, a lot of reading to do.... :\

Well oldcorollas is right, blaq.boi why is your uncle still in the business if he is losing money ???

Well the good thing is that I have a couple of contracts with certain shippers and they will cut the price for me in order to send vehicles over and be bothered dealing... but that can be another story, getting the vehicles and

Would anyone like to help search some sort of information on these particular model corollas???
    There could be an opportunity for someone to make cash on the side

btw cuzzo and joshtix you're on! give some information i need to find and i'll go looking for it

thanks a lot guys, really appreciated it
    oldcorollas is not right... I should have been more clear... the shipping costs are worth more than what you will sell those type of cars for. i mean old school rollas and celicas.... you wont be selling them for like 10 grand each!!!

you have to use a tow truck to transport the car from the docks to anywhere when it arrives. so thats more costs.

I know its hard to take when someone is bursting your bubble. but theres a minimum cost on bringing in a car reguardless of what car it is... so lets say 3 grand. (and its more than that usually, thats not including roadworthy/reg... and before you say it you cant bring in cars that you dont plan on registering.. you need it to be compliable... once the cars here you need to apply for compliance. they can deny this. that means the cars useless and can never be legally road registered... You cant bring in *race cars for track use only* unless you have a stage 3 cams licence. anyway moving on)

minimum 3 grand lets say... how much do you expect to sell these ke70 rollas for? I dont see how you can make any profit unless you get some nugget that wants to pay over 6 grand for a ke70
    Last edited by blaq.boi; 29-03-2011 at 09:40 AM.

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

Thats why i said can you get me a corolla for 1500...... should i have ?

Cheaper to scourer aus to find an old corolla in good condition.
    KE30 4agte - Bullet - Rick Rolled
    UZX83 1UZ W58- Cruiser - Tow Car - Fun Car
    Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

Quote Originally Posted by blaq.boi View Post
    minimum 3 grand lets say... how much do you expect to sell these ke70 rollas for? I dont see how you can make any profit unless you get some nugget that wants to pay over 6 grand for a ke70
    TE27, JDM AE86, RA25 etc etc

and yes, nuggets DO pay over 6K for 4A powered KE70's

thats why ive posted on a forum like this to get everyones point of view it helps me get an idea of what the demand is in the market these days... ill post up pics of my corolla that ive bought in indonesia in the next day or two... and i'll use that as an experiment to see how much it would sell, tips, condition, etc...

ok goodluck... i think ull get alot of time wasters though...

time wasters are in everyday life mate cheers for the heads up blaq.boi