Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust System

Sadistically Perverse Chief Engine Builder Disturbed1's Avatar

Default Exhaust System

does it make any different where u position a muffler along the exhaust system??? im only running 1 but i was thinking of moving it from the mid section and using it right at the end of the system... does it make any difference to its muffling capabilities

Junior Member Domestic Engineer NeoNasty's Avatar

Default Re: Exhaust System

dont believe so. might make a slight difference depending on the temp range of the gasses leaving the car have cooled down a little by that time.. but I am sure you would never notice it.
    HZJ75, RS41, JZZ30

potato Automotive Encyclopaedia joecoolmk2's Avatar

it will a little, but not much. put a resonator/hotdog in before it somewhere and that'll probably fix it.
    beer me!

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

it does make a difference. whether this difference is noticable is another matter I always try to position my muffler and resonator as close to the end of the exhaust system as possible, but to be honest, it might get me between 1 or 2 rwkw
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

Sadistically Perverse Chief Engine Builder Disturbed1's Avatar

im gonna try no mufflers first then add the 1 hks 3.5 inch 1 after if i need to see how it goes

loud! that's just silly for a street car, you'll get sick of the droning noise when you drive it.
    beer me!

www.malicious.com.au Automotive Encyclopaedia ReQuieM's Avatar

I think it thieory it makes a difference. I mean a muffler ect ect is going to slow and cool your exhaust and idea behind a good exhaust is to get it out asap. Hot air moves faster, one reason you heat wrap exhaust manifolds. Pump that air into the turb's. Back on point if the muffler was to be right after the exhaust mani it create a bit of a bottle neck right up close to the engine. fast hot gas hitting cold slow gas. The further down the system you put it the bigger buffer you have i guess.

This is all in theory, so yeah real world AFAIK F all difference. unless your pumping big boost and hi RPM!
    Malicious

Illustration, Design, etc... www.malicious.com.au

RIP James Nicol (ViPeR_NiPPleX)...

no muffler is just silly.
    1 muffler on my mk2 with no car no resonator was actually quite bearable (and legal), but generally I'm an advocate of a 3-part zorst system.
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Its not that loud really.

Regarding where to put the muffler, logically the further down the system you put it the more pulsations it will be able to dampen out.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

ah, I have dreams of a swappable 4" side-pipe, to go straight off the dump pipe

i wrote the Automotive Encyclopaedia roadsailing's Avatar

takai, that looks like its right out of the L and T bible.

got some pics from the side? i'm thinking of doing a side pipe on mine (legal if they don't count the hatch as an opening window) but might just go with the classic under diff road scraper.
    like to drift? live in victoria?
    www.vicdrift.com

now targeting: targets

formerly shinybluesteel

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

the first muffler can act as the end of your collector on an NA tuned system.
    i assume this is a turbo system tho, so it doesn't count.. especially since you have a cat convertor (or SHOULD) which will act as the first restriction anyway..

given that, i see no reason why it would matter if the first resonator was a few metres earlier or later.

muffler is usualyl placed at the back simply because there is no room for it anywhere else.
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Its really not that loud, i swear officer
    http://www.plebeians.net/movies/cars...y/MOV00008.3gp

Quote Originally Posted by shinybluesteel
    takai, that looks like its right out of the L and T bible.

got some pics from the side? i'm thinking of doing a side pipe on mine (legal if they don't count the hatch as an opening window) but might just go with the classic under diff road scraper.
    Ill take some shots of it either tomorrow night, or wednesday. Do note though that this certainly isnt road legal, as it exits about 2/3 of the way down the door.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

it depends a lot on whether the pipe is the right size for the engine. a too bigger pipe will have slower moving gases going through it, which will make it louder.

sidepipes are cool, i might put one back on my coupe the only problem is that it sits so low to get around the sill. i'm not sure if it'll count as the lowest part of the car for engineering?(minimum 100mm lowest part)
    beer me!

Junior Member Grease Monkey RP_St162's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    the first muffler can act as the end of your collector on an NA tuned system.
    i assume this is a turbo system tho, so it doesn't count.. especially since you have a cat convertor (or SHOULD) which will act as the first restriction anyway..

given that, i see no reason why it would matter if the first resonator was a few metres earlier or later.

muffler is usualyl placed at the back simply because there is no room for it anywhere else.
    Oldcorollas, i always thought that the exhaust wheel on the turbine in F.I cars acted as a mufflerr (of sorts?) in exhaust noise, hence why you never hear a 'farty' sounding turbo car?

Please correct me if im wrong