Thread: 4agze 175mm crank pulley install

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 4agze 175mm crank pulley install

Hi guys,

I'm waiting on my 175mm crank pulley to arrive and was just wondering what tools are necessary to install the crank pulley. The kit comes with the bigger belt and an undersized idler pulley. I purchased it at www.fensport.co.uk , http://www.fensport.co.uk/Parts/Model_86/Category_1/16

I have a few questions in relation to it.

Does the timing belt have to be removed?

Where exactly does the idler pulley go? Does it replace an already existing pulley on the water pump?

I have a timing belt kit (belt, tensioner, water pump) ready to be put into the car. Would it be recommended doing everything at once? I will also be changing the supercharger oil as well.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Ciarán

Junior Member Conversion King kAm's Avatar

Default Re: 4agze 175mm crank pulley install

changing the pulley is easy.
    undo 2 idlers with a 14mm from the side, then loosen the idler with a 14mm to loosen tension on the belts. remove belts the i think it was a 19mm bolt for the crank.
    you'd need to jam the motor by taking off the bottom clutch plate and jamming a screw driver in the flywheel or use a breaker bar and click the starter motor (kind of dangerous), alternative grab the rattle gun.
    remove the idler thats aligned with the water pump and charger, that one needs to be replaced with the small one.
    before you install the larger crank, make sure the timing pin is not in the way, in your case it is most likely in the way. either remove it or cut it off flush.
    reinstall the crank and belts and tighten up the idlers. try not to over do it, try tightening it and then go for a drive. if it slips, tighten it up a bit. keep doing it until it doesn't slip.

Quote Originally Posted by kAm View Post
    changing the pulley is easy.
    undo 2 idlers with a 14mm from the side, then loosen the idler with a 14mm to loosen tension on the belts. remove belts the i think it was a 19mm bolt for the crank.
    you'd need to jam the motor by taking off the bottom clutch plate and jamming a screw driver in the flywheel or use a breaker bar and click the starter motor (kind of dangerous), alternative grab the rattle gun.
    remove the idler thats aligned with the water pump and charger, that one needs to be replaced with the small one.
    before you install the larger crank, make sure the timing pin is not in the way, in your case it is most likely in the way. either remove it or cut it off flush.
    reinstall the crank and belts and tighten up the idlers. try not to over do it, try tightening it and then go for a drive. if it slips, tighten it up a bit. keep doing it until it doesn't slip.
    Thanks for the info. Forgot to say the car is an ae101 gtz.

Does the timing belt cover have to come off to replace the idler pulley?

In regards to the tension of the sc belt, is there a recommended tension or is it just a case of trial and error? I was thinking of replacing the s/c belt tensioner with an OEM one as the mileage on my engine is quite high. Even when I replaced the s/c belt before and had it tensioned it eventually started to slip more and more.

the crank pulley sits in front of the cover etc so no need to even remove the timing cover. but since you are removing the crank pulley, it might be worth the effort to change the timing belt too depending on how many km's your car has done. if you have a look at the pulleys, the idler is underneath the water pump and charger pulley, should be able to just see it from the top.

trial and error for the belt mate. lots of people just go crazy with tightening it which over time will cause problems as theres too much pressure put on the crank. when i got my car, it had a standard pulley on it but it appears someone tightened the hell out of it at one stage, the pulley started to wear out from behind and wobbled.

Ah right I seem to understand a bit more now, cheers

This forum is great! I posted the exact same up on a forum I'd regularly use here in Ireland and nobody had a clue.

My mate and I should be doing it in the next week or two, all going well. Standard top mount will have to go and the ABV Mod done as well. We have access to a lift as well so we don't have to be doing it out in the freezing cold!

Thanks again

Cheers mate!

Bumping this up. Anyone got step by step instrustions on how to do the ABV mod? As in with with pictures as opposed to diagrams only, cheers.