Thread: Rear Sway Bar types, which is better?

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Default Rear Sway Bar types, which is better?

So far, i know there are two types of rear sway bars for solid axles with helical springs like AE86:

First is the one used on AE86 itself where the sway bar has 4 mount points: two on the axle and two on the chassis, L and R, like below:

Second is the one that attaches itself to the lower trailing links. So, no mounts to the axle or chassis whatsoever. I think it works by forcing both lower trailing links to move up and down at the same pace. Sample like below:

Which one is better?

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: Rear Sway Bar types, which is better?

the top 1 is better as you can make it harder or softer by changing the bolt hole position

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by Celica RA45 View Post
    the top 1 is better as you can make it harder or softer by changing the bolt hole position
    i see, bottom one can also be made harder or softer, only you need to change the whole sway bar with different material!
    i guess if i'm no hardcore track racer of drifter AND top one is cheaper, then it's the best choice. especially since my car doesn't come with the chassis mounts!

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

i don7t like the look of the second one... the way it twists when there is roll seems a bit nasty, as the pivot is the front of the trailing arm
    you would get much more effect with same size bar, but only because you are trying to force the bar through more movement?

plus it will try and pull the lower arms toward each other with any significant roll... which may not be good.

both of them have the bar as unsprung weight = nto great.

what about having the bar attached to the body, and the arms of the bar attaching to the diff? reduces unsprung weight a bit.
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Issue there OC is availability - unless you can point at a manufacturer who makes a bar of that style.

Personally I went with the first type, as this is what whiteline offers for the RA2x. I have seen the second type on a TA22, and would think that by sliding it back and forth along the trailing arm it would adjust the effect. Though, as OC pointed out, there may be some lateral force on the trailing arms, which wouldn't be good for the bushes.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.