Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lancer Evo brakes into Early Celica/Corolla/Corona

Senior ****** Carport Converter Sam_Q's Avatar

Default Re: Lancer Evo brakes into Early Celica/Corolla/Corona

I have only heard of second hand info on the mini cooper rotors but various forum searches like on ae86dc should bring it up, AJPS has brackets for ae86 rotors:

http://ajps.com.au/parts/fc_brake_calliper_adapters.asp

they are a pissweak 230mm though but from what I understand they can suit vented 262mm disks. This X-factor, is it a reference to the offset from the front of the hub?

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

X factor is the amount of clearance from the hub face to the back of the wheel spokes. FC callipers on 230mm rotors would mean half the pad is exposed and not used... this isn't good. Mini Cooper rotors that are in the DBA catalogue, are either 190mm for the early ones, or they start at 276x22 for later ones. Since the FC RX7 are also 276x22, this rules out the post-R50 mini rotors. Lancer Evo are 276x24, so what you lose by going to a 2 piston rather than 4 in the calliper, you gain in rotor thickness. If my calculations are right, then the X-factor required will be minimal with the Evo setup. Both the RX7 and EVO setups require a 15" wheel (the AJPS setup runs a 14" wheel, but does not appear to use all the pad).
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

The Evil Director Backyard Mechanic jfallen's Avatar

I've got the AJPS setup, works really well, I'll pull the pads out next week when I get home and take some pics for reference on how they've warn.
    Past rides: 86 Hilux, 3x ke55 rollas's (2coupes,) 5th Gen GT4 x2, RA28, TA22 x3, KE10, P610 datto, RT40 corona x3, RT132, MX13

Currrent: , CA-A22 Celica living life as a Sports Sedan, 2000model ST215W Caldina GT-T manual, RT40 corona.

Does the braking surface of the rotor cover the entirety of the pad?

The more I look into the EVO setup, the more I like it. With the way I am going, there will be no modifications to the rotors or pads required, so all consumables will be off the shelf, readily available items. This is a BIG plus when you discover that you have somehow munted a rotor down the track and need to replace it straight away. It also allows you to run 2 sets of rotors and pads, one set for street, the other for track (though I won't be at that stage for a while)
    Cheers, Owen
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Ok bit of an update. Got my RA40 hub back all machined so the rotor slots over the front. Put it back on the strut, installed the rotor, and set up the Magna calliper mount and pads on the rotor with a G clamp holding them in place. Visual inspection shows that there is room to put a decently thick calliper mounting bracket (stock bracket is an edge folded 4mm thick unit - this would be closer to 10-12mm thick). This method means that there is no drilling of existing equipment required, and no tapping of any threads needed. The stock bolts and stock bolt threads can be used.

Things are looking easier as I go with this. I'll post up photos tomorrow night.
    Cheers, Owen

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

That is basically what was done with my RA28 struts going into a KE70, using Lexus LS400 4 pots.

Nice simple caliper bracket, just need to machine it where the caliper mounts up to get offset right but still plenty thick enough.

Callum

That looks good Callum. Did you use Crown hubs to get the 5 stud? I intend on getting my brackets cut such that they use all 4 bolts on the strut to mount, rather than just the close 2. I am also thinking of doing something about an inner dust shield, though not sure it is entirely necessary/beneficial.
    Cheers, Owen

Yeah, MS65 hubs. Hard to tell in the pic but it is actually using 3 out of 4 of the mounting bolts. Not sure what I will do for dust shields yet.

Callum

WDE_BDY: ra60 disks?

No, those are the 315mm x 28mm Lexus discs to match the calipers. So need minimum 16's more likely 17's to run them.

Callum

damn that's huge!!

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

O man RA23, any chance on an update on how this has turned out?
    Noobs, need engineering requisite brake upgrade on the TA23 and I like your thoughts about future replacements all being standard parts.

Hasn't moved much, the struts have been stripped down for sandblasting, and until I get them blasted, weld on the coilover mounts, and paint them, I can't do any more measuring. Sorry if the delay is causing issues, however with painting the car, changing jobs, and generally being busy, it isn't easy to get progress. I can, however, assure you that they will fit, and it will be a worthwhile upgrade, it is just the specifics on the mount left to do.
    Cheers, Owen

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Sorry if I come across as pushy, not my intention, I'm just trying to glom off your brainwork. I can always take one of the other pathways to better brakes.

Still be following this one with interest though.

If you are up for designing the calliper brackets, I have measured out the hole pattern for mounting the bracket to the strut, and can send you the DWG file with that on it. It is the specific measures from the strut mounting holes to the calliper mounting holes which I haven't measured, and I haven't tested to see what offset is required.
    Cheers, Owen