Thread: Queensland Friction Materials (QFM) A1RM brake pads - anyone used?

Junior Member Carport Converter spiller's Avatar

Default Queensland Friction Materials (QFM) A1RM brake pads - anyone used?

ive been looking into these pads from QFM, the skyline and evo/wrx fans seem to love them for street/track use. I've currently got shitty EBC black in the rear and wilwood BP20 pads up front which have a claimed friction co-efficent of 55 at optimum temp of about 480 deg celcius - safe to say i easily cooked them at mallala last time, big fade coming into the hair pin after the kink.

these QFM A1RMs have claimed friction of .48 so not quite as bitey but temps up to 780 deg celcius which is quite a lot. on paper, it should suit my needs quite nicely (cold friction of .40 so ok for street use) but wanting to hear any personal experieces people might have.

cheers
    1990 JZMA70 Supra SOLD

I am crap as a Conversion King SilverRA23's Avatar

Default Re: Queensland Friction Materials (QFM) A1RM brake pads - anyone used?

These have been well discussed some where in the forums here, but I am stuffed if I could find it.

I ran them in a little Daihatsu Charade club racer and never got a good pedal with them. I wasn't convinced it was the pads, and bled and bled and bled the brake system, but it never made much difference.

I swapped in some Project Mu pads and the pedal was immediately better.

Not sure what the go was, as plenty of guys have said great things about them in much faster cars than the Charade, so maybe my set was just a dud set or something.
    Now - RA23-WRX
    Gone-KE10-KE15-KE35-TA22-AE71-Charade-AE82-MS47-KE15-AE95-MX32
    Need club rego or a CAMS licence in VIC? Join TCCAV www.tccav.org.au

Crazy Chief Engine Builder 1JZ-Rolla's Avatar

bit of a mixed discussion here about them :

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/sho...hem&highlight=
    AE71 Corolla 2 door window van - retired / JZA70 Supra - VVTi converted - sold

Junior Member Domestic Engineer 1jz68u's Avatar

got em on the front of my supra, have used them at ec as well as wakefield, they are heaps better than the green stuffs i had in there before.

i will buy again.
    Glenn
    Current Ride http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41123
    Previous 3SGTE ST162, 1JZ Cressida 215RWKW-ET 13.318, Celsior, XT forester, 3SGE KE70.
    Quote Originally Posted by NME308 View Post
    You do of course realize forgiveness is easier to gain than permission right???
    Cheers, Jason

Junior Member Carport Converter spiller's Avatar

cheers for the feedback guys. always interesting when you hear mixed reviews. all I know is that both sets of the wilwood pads I have tried so far are shit. shit pedal feel, shit initial bite, shit progessive feel and shit temperature tolerance. running out of brakes at 180 km/h going into a hairpin at the end of a straight isnt something I enjoy

Glenn, how hard have you leaned on these things mate? Did you experience any brake fade at all? I know EC is a high speed track, whats it like on the brakes? Wakefield is pretty small right? Mallala here in in SA is a very heavy braking circuit. My engineer guy is pricing up some Ferodo DS3000s for me but they are going to kill the wallet, otherwise Hawk HT10s might be an option. Also, what pads are you using in the rear of your 80 Glenn?
    1990 JZMA70 Supra SOLD

dont work in my backyard Domestic Engineer pandaah's Avatar

EBC reds are sposed to be for more often track work.. EBC also make blue and yellow tho i dont know if they will suit your needs street wise

I can't fault DS2500's as a track day pad, that also won't have you running over roundabouts when cold on the street.

Hawk HT10's get pretty good reviews as a similar compound/performer to the DS2500, but do your research on how agressive any pad that you choose will be on your rotors too.... high CF's & temp resistance often come with high wear rates for rotors also.

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

i cant praise EBC redstuffs enough. perfect combo for a street/track pad. yellowstuffs are practucally unusable for a car of my size on the street, but for yours they may get enough heat into them to make them streetable.

i would recommend giving the redstuffs a go, buy them from overseas, they are much cheaper than local, i think my fronts were $140ish and my rears about $120ish through an ebay seller.

as for rotor wear. ive had them in for 2 trackdays and a lot of hard street driving and there is still plenty of meat left on the rotors.
    Last edited by trdee; 11-03-2011 at 12:04 AM.
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

+1 to good pads, better than green stuff/red stuff (overpriced over hyped crap i think)

I use them on my Astra done a few autokhanas and track days and seem to last and last and still grip. Also very low dust