Thread: RT132 Corona

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Red face RT132 Corona

Hi everyone, I was on the look out for a Corona for my son and I to play with. We came across a 1980 RT132 Corona Liftback, 18R and 5 Speed, no power streering, has air and rego.. After looking at it and checking for rust, it has alittle but not the worst we've seen we made an offer and now it sits in the garage awaiting rubbing back and so on.. We like the 5 speed but the 18R we think will be replaced with something abit more substanial.. Any ideas what motor legally could be fitted, also noticed the car has solid disc's on the front, will need to upgrade these to ventillated twin piston callipers- again any idea's people.. Car has abit of rust but really not that bad, no structual just where they double skinned parts and didnt put any drain holes in.. Was checking with the RTA and a quad cam V8 is allowed with brake upgrades umm.... Any idea's in regards to Engine and brake upgrades would be apprieciated... We know its not the popular car, but we like to be alittle different,,,,, Love Toyota's

Junior Member Grease Monkey TRD-12A's Avatar

Default Re: RT132 Corona

with the motor anything thats a 2.0litre will be legal just that if the motor is a later model itll have to complie with the motors emmissions laws of that time, with the brakes you can do the hilux 4-piston caliper and peugeot disc, like you said with the brake upgrade you can really do anything you want but you may also have to upgrade the suspension

I am crap as a Conversion King SilverRA23's Avatar

How much money do you want to spend is probably the first question

An 18RG twin cam engine will fit with the least amount of hassle since its the same block as what is already in there.

The RT132 has been popular for us enthusiasts to pull out the front struts and use them and their twin piston sumitomo caliper together with the peugeot vented disc, or fit the 4 pot hilux caliper for even more stopping power, so that is an easy upgrade.

It would be relatively simple to fit rear discs from a later model Corona to your t-series diff too.. I can't remember the model number you need at the moment but do a search and you will find all you need to know on the upgrade.

More spending can see any engine fitted.. a beams 3sge would be fun without being over the top... the 1UZ would be even more entertaining, but would require upgrades to diff, gearbox, suspension, brakes etc.

Given its to play with your son, I am guessing he is a young bloke - might be worth considering just how much horsepower he really needs in a light car
    Now - RA23-WRX
    Gone-KE10-KE15-KE35-TA22-AE71-Charade-AE82-MS47-KE15-AE95-MX32
    Need club rego or a CAMS licence in VIC? Join TCCAV www.tccav.org.au

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Lightbulb Re: RT132 Corona

Thanks the 18rg twin cam sounds possibly the best option, maybe with some twin carbs. Also the front brake upgrade sounds good, so the peugeot vented disc are a bolt on application?, if so do you know what year etc so I can order some. The Callipers on our car are single piston, in the reply you mentioned twin callipers, are these on a later model?, the hilux 4 piston sound great, also are these easy to adapt, anyone completed this and is the braking that much better than twin piston callipers. Rear disc's sound good as well, to improve braking capacity also improve the look behind what ever wheel we end up putting on.. Any idea's where we can order these brakes as really 1st priority is to make sure car stops well, important cargo

I am crap as a Conversion King SilverRA23's Avatar

Here is the guide to the front brake upgrade.. commonly referred to as C/P/H. it has been done a metric shitload of times by people on this forum.. as the questions will attest.

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/sho...=peugeot+hilux

Ignore the stuff about coil overs unless you want to go that way.

I am surprised your RT132 doesnt have a twin piston caliper on it. Being the imported model that was how they came, as I understand it. Maybe someone swapped them out for some reason, but depending on what you have in there you might not need to change them out. Measure the bolt spacing on the caliper to see whether it has the correct bolt spacing for the hilux caliper.

This will cover your rear disc question, assuming you have a T-series axle in the car. I imagine you do, but it might be worth checking.

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?32132

You will need to spend some time at wreckers for some of the bits, and your local parts shop for others.

I would highly recommend doing a search for the questions you have. There is more information in these forums than most people can remember, so have a look through the old threads to learn heaps.
    Now - RA23-WRX
    Gone-KE10-KE15-KE35-TA22-AE71-Charade-AE82-MS47-KE15-AE95-MX32
    Need club rego or a CAMS licence in VIC? Join TCCAV www.tccav.org.au