Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum Upgrade Time

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Default Re: Forum Upgrade Time

Quote Originally Posted by SumKid View Post
    hey guys just wondering if your going to put the state everyone is in back under the post count? its nice just looking there,when poeple forget to put where stuff is being sold n things, Cheers

Nice quick update too!
    (or maybe I just don't have a computer to go on at work )
    THIS IS JUST A TEMPORARY LAYOUT UNTIL THE TOYMODS LAYOUT CAN BE REBUILT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that help?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Teen Re****** Backyard Mechanic SumKid's Avatar

Ahh sorry didnt figure that the info and shtuff is part of the layout,

thanks though OC, very big letters so i can see it now
    Bagged Gs430 Daily
    Ra23 Cruiser

Village Idiot Automotive Encyclopaedia

Far out guys, you managed to do this and were only off the air for a little while ---> AMAZING effort.
    I never worked with vBulletin only phpBB but I know what an effort it is to do this stuff, especially when you have another job to attend to as well

Good work all!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its a heck of a lot quicker now so the DB has probably had a good whitespace cleanup and re-org

Toymods Club Member #194 Conversion King Lambolica's Avatar

Yes the layout needs work....

But Sam has done a good job of the upgrade, there will still be down periods whilst things are tweaked.
    Cheers
    Simon
    Beige.... The new Black!!!

Underpowered Backyard Mechanic Moppitt's Avatar

+1 on the good work with the upgrade. Much appreciated Sam!!

Oh, and cheers for making it a darker red in the interim. Its much more liveable (and confused the hell out of ian as a bonus )

*Sits and waits for old layout to be restored*
    Feeling down? See: Beyondblue or for youth see: Headspace or call Lifeline on 13 11 14
    Finally, a members ride thread. I present project One Thing Lead to Another (nominations for a better name are now open)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvale13 View Post
    Rabble, rabble rabble!!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic greywolf's Avatar

Another thank you to Sam. Bloody impressive work mate, I didn't even notice the downtime. Just the colour change has made it a lot nicer to use, and we all appreciate the hard work you are doing. Keep it up !

Some Minor Tweaks this morning (ads mainly to keep the sponsors on board & happy.)

the backend is alot different in vb4

Cheers
    Simon

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Yeah, the VB4 layout is quite different. Good going sofar guys.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Blasphemist Chief Engine Builder Bananaman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gmonkey View Post
    perfect time to put toymods on tapatalk
    Did this ever get discussed as promised? Any chance of doing this while this is all going down?
    KE20 CA18DET / RN25 12R / IS200 1G / NA MX5 B6

This Version of Vbulletin has a lite skin version for mobile (apparently) I'll be looking at the effectiveness of using the built in Mobile version before looking at tapatalk.

Either way a mobile version is being looked at during this upgrade.

Cheers
    Simon

Lord of InterpretiveDance Chief Engine Builder tomvale13's Avatar

Cheers guys! A bit different, but should be used to it by end of week I reckon.

edit: I know with reddit, they have the mobile version as http://m.reddit.com - unsure of how they did that or if the forums can utilise a similar thing?

they also have a version where it looks like you're reading code.. but it's actually just reddit - here it is for lol's.

http://codereddit.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzo View Post
    They cash in the empty can of whoopass they received in SA and receive 10c's per punch...
    They have to accrew enough for nose reconstructions as well as feeding his mime family. The dont talk much so they never need much water for their dry mouths.

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

looking forward to a mobile friendly version of Toymods!
    My HTC desire HD (andriod 2.2) does a pretty good job of attempting to make it mobile friendly (adjust text to fit into screen width to eliminate side scrolling)... but it has mindfucks doing this cos of the user avatars, etc in the left column.

I will reserve comments on the aesthetics, as i understand you are working on them.
    If you want any feedback, suggestions or constructive critisism, just let us all know
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

Can I make a comment about the new default style? it does seem to chew up a lot of screen real estate with larger buttons & icons, and the extra padding around elements adds even more space/white-space to the mix.

For instance, Takai's post above is a one-liner - yet is consumes the same amount of space a Karl's - 6 line post just above. In both posts, the signature takes up an inordinate amount of space.

I'm just finding that I can see far fewer entries when either listing forums threads or browsing thru them. I also have to do a lot more scrolling on my phone (LG GT540 running the older Android OS 1.6 using either the default browser or Opera) whereas browsing PF, I can quickly get around listing and thread entries.

It's a win for readability for new users, but with padding and big blocky graphical/UI elements added in everywhere, it looks like it's been designed for very large screens (and let's face it, a lot of users here are not using >27" screens unless they're at work)

Without trying to sound nasty, it's looking more like a Boostcruising thread where 95% of the real estate is chewed up by over-size UI elements, large profile pics and even larger sig's (at least the remaining 5% content here is at higher intellectual level).

edit: sorry that this might come across as a whine. Can I just say hat's off to the folks who do these upgrades - the back-end work for migrating customized forums & web applications can be a major PITA and to do it gratis deserves much applause and respect. Add to that mix the conflicting demands for UI changes and most folks simply throw in the towel. Thanks to all of you for volunteering and persisting.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

I'll add suggestion as well? The order of elements in the heading area (specifically around the banner advert) is somewhat disjointed and there's a clash of functionality.

Can I suggest that the:
    - breadcrumb navigation go below the Title and Description of the current forum area
    - that the Thread title, description and breadcrumb navigation go into the 'Thread Tools' grey box.

Then have the 'New Thread' button (which could go on a diet) and the page count and navigation links underneath the Tools box, all on one line.

It might reclaims some of the real estate lost at the top of the page.

Also, the large red bar below the 'Quick Reply' text entry area is somewhat superfluous. You could put the 'Post Quick Reply' and 'Go Advanced' buttons in the same line as the checkbox for 'Show your signature' - and reduce the 2-line-tall red box to a 2-3 pixel line
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Lord of InterpretiveDance Chief Engine Builder tomvale13's Avatar

It seems to add a lot of spacing/padding underneath each post..

also second Stomps statement, do I have to manually go to the /usercp.php extension everytime? - has the link/button gone completely?

Thanks again,

tv
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzo View Post
    They cash in the empty can of whoopass they received in SA and receive 10c's per punch...
    They have to accrew enough for nose reconstructions as well as feeding his mime family. The dont talk much so they never need much water for their dry mouths.