Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pod type air filters and blue slip inspections ?

spank that naughty.. Grease Monkey

Default pod type air filters and blue slip inspections ?

about to push one of my projects through for rego and have been told pod filter is a no go ( fire risk )
    bit stunned as it seems so impossible
    i cant see how a dry pod ( 600 mm away from the injectors ) can catch fire any better than a paper element say .....on top of a v 8 carb
    any one know a fact or is this just pub talk ?????

ps tried searching first
    Remember this is a recreational activity ......

we got toys ! 83 lo lux in matte black..... amazingly 18 rg powered , one day it will run right !
    the dinosour 90 gsx r 750 with ohlins and yoshi , and the dirty little secret 125 vespa ,4 speed and kick start

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: pod type air filters and blue slip inspections ?

Fire risk is not correct. In NSW the issue is with an increase in induction noise.

Current NSW rules state that a drive-by noise test is required and that test can't be done on a public road or place. This means a test track must be hired which is expensive.
    Last edited by petergoudie; 10-02-2011 at 02:27 PM.

Duct Tape Solves All Conversion King ivandude's Avatar

make som sort of enclosure with sheet metal if you insist on not returning it to stock airbox
    1982 Soarer MZ11 1JZ-GE VVTi build
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    1981-1985 Z10 Soarer Owners International Group
    Former rides ~~ RA65 '85 Celica ~ MA61 '84 Supra ~ JZA80 '98 Aerotop ~ AE101 '92 Levin Toyo4life

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

it's because they are noisy and annoying (and often no better than a stock filter, with a modded airbox)
    box it up, or put it in a normal filter airbox so it doesn't sound annoying and all good.

seems silly to go from a stock cold air ducted airbox (if you had that) to an open pod that sucks in hot air....
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

Agree with OC.

Also, I was under the impression that a blue slip is to ensure the vehicle conforms to how it was manufactured, and therefore a pod filter (boxed in or not) is not standard and therefore will not pass a blue slip exam?

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Junior Member Chief Engine Builder wiso's Avatar

What happens with old rare cars that some douch has thrown out the original airbox to put a pod in and they are almost impossible to find a replacement?
    89' MR2 AW11... His
    00' MR2 ZZW30... Hers

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

make an alloy box to put it in, so that it draws in cold air instead?

"old rare car" usually means carby, and not many carby cars can have pods..

chances are, even the stock paper filters will outfilter and outflow pods... just need airbox modification
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Incompetent Automotive Encyclopaedia

induction noise/emissions is the 'issue'
    Must.... avoid.... urge... to... upgrade... parts I haven't.... used.... yet.....

Junior Member Chief Engine Builder wiso's Avatar

in my case old rareish is AW11, as most of the ones on the road have had their airboxes pulled out and pods installed. Its very hard to find a stock airbox in this country. You can get from UK reasonably ok, but then you Hurt Gerry Harvey who bitches about us buying things from overseas.

A good question is how solid does the box have to be? like if you put a cover around it and cover it to the corner of the car is this usually enough?

Modifying airbox is an interesting one, I got done once in canberra because I cut the hole bigger in the airbox this made the induction sound louder, hence Induction noise being the thing that makes pod filters illegal, this was also classed as "illegal". even though its the original equipment because it was "modified" it fell under hte same rules.
    89' MR2 AW11... His
    00' MR2 ZZW30... Hers

SW20 ATTACK Grease Monkey Surok86's Avatar

look into the K&N apollo range of filters they are still quite good.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Pods filters are supposed to be a no no. If you can be defected for it then chances are its not legal though not sure if it can be engineered.

Toymods Club Member Conversion King big_zop's Avatar

Factory fitment on the new FPV V8...

It does seal against the bonnet when shut but otherwise is an 'open' pod filter.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

If the car still passes the sound limit there shouldn't be a problem. My understanding is that pod's are legal, so long as the crank case vacuum is plumbed back. Many people don't do this or don't know the right argument if they get picked on by the police about it. The only way a pod filter could increase emissions is that the crankcase vapour is vented to atmosphere.

Half the thing when you're getting picked on by a cop is body language and how you speak to them. Give them respect, whilst at the same time speak what I've said above with enough confidence that they realise you know more about cars then them and they'll give you a pat on the back and send you on your way.

spank that naughty.. Grease Monkey

hi , old car bigger newer motor , stock air box wont fit.
    tho i might take it to the engineers so he can say he saw it on the car....
    im a wizz at making ducting and shrouds but figure whatever i make is non stock and would need an expensive test
    im thinking my new motor will be quieter than the old carbed one and it all looks nice and 'right '
    hope fully i can be tested on antique or at least early 80 s levels.....

beerhead , my personal best was getting pulled over by 2 police cars simultaniously ....and being let off with a " wow ! " when they saw under the bonnet !
    cheers
    will let you know how i go
    Remember this is a recreational activity ......

we got toys ! 83 lo lux in matte black..... amazingly 18 rg powered , one day it will run right !
    the dinosour 90 gsx r 750 with ohlins and yoshi , and the dirty little secret 125 vespa ,4 speed and kick start

Junior Member Domestic Engineer 1jz68u's Avatar

i got done for pod quite recently, he gave me the fire risk story, when i questioned it he said it applied more so to old v8 carbie cars but the law is the law as he put it.

afaik as long as they are sealed, whether it be against the bonnet (see above pic) or just in a box they are ok.

thanks

Glenn
    Glenn
    Current Ride http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41123
    Previous 3SGTE ST162, 1JZ Cressida 215RWKW-ET 13.318, Celsior, XT forester, 3SGE KE70.
    Quote Originally Posted by NME308 View Post
    You do of course realize forgiveness is easier to gain than permission right???
    Cheers, Jason