Thread: Paseo EL44 motor upgrade advice

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Paseo EL44 motor upgrade advice

Hi I'm new to the club & looking for any information to help me modify my 91 toyota paseo. I am in the distant future looking to see what i can do to upsize my 1500cc to a bigger motor. Can anyone tell me if they have ever changed to a BIGGER motor, not turbo keen, but don't know what will fit in its place. its an EL44 manual and if i can fit a larger motor will look into getting one of those then slowly rebuilding that to awsumness. Any help with advise, or anyone who has done such a thing i would really appreciate your help & also looking for a really switched on Mechanic that could to the change & sum motor work when the time comes here in QLD brisbane who is good with the overhead cam work n 4cyl cars.. No mechanics i talk to want anything to do with me... NOT NICE>

Lord of InterpretiveDance Chief Engine Builder tomvale13's Avatar

Default Re: Paseo EL44 motor upgrade advice

You should be able to do a 20 valve 4age swap, that's only to 1.6 though..

Most people with these just drop the startlet turbo motor in (4efte)

it's only 1.3 but with minor miods can see 200hp with ease. I think you can keep your gearbox too, not 100% sure on that though.

those are your two easiest options, with number two being easier than number one.

both will cost a bit of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzo View Post
    They cash in the empty can of whoopass they received in SA and receive 10c's per punch...
    They have to accrew enough for nose reconstructions as well as feeding his mime family. The dont talk much so they never need much water for their dry mouths.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

thanks for that, the valve upgrade sounds interesting, i was hoping to avoid anything turbo, only cus i know absolutely Zero about them and would prefer to bomb the crap out of a motor instead... or get one bigger and then work it... its all a learning curve whilst im doing my homework at this stage,, but thanks again. meliss

Lord of InterpretiveDance Chief Engine Builder tomvale13's Avatar

it's not a valve upgrade.. it's.. a different motor.

"4age silvertop" I think is the name the wreckers will understand.

What you have now is a 5efe or some shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzo View Post
    They cash in the empty can of whoopass they received in SA and receive 10c's per punch...
    They have to accrew enough for nose reconstructions as well as feeding his mime family. The dont talk much so they never need much water for their dry mouths.